Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 10:37:26 PM EDT
One LGS has a used, but pristine condition Gen1 in Black. Another LGS has a NIB Gen2 in FDE for about $200 more, which has the new blue silicone lining in the case.

The black Gen1 is less $$, but the cheap icky-plasticky looking gray control knobs bug me. I typically like FDE (as in my fav FDE G19), but in this FN beauty, BLACK calls to me more than FDE.  Just can't get past the cheap looking and feeling plastic gray bits.  The most annoyingly plastic bit is the mag release, which protrudes more than the other gray controls.

I've never seen a Gen2 in black, and haven't seen these at all in my AO until now.  

Question...is the Gen2 that much better to spend $200 to $300 more than a Gen1 regardless of color?  Also, has anyone upgraded the gray plastic control knobs to steel (obviously FDE has black controls, which don't seem as cheap as Gen1's gray controls)?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 Five seveNs. 2 of the older USG you speak of here and an FDE MKII. I much prefer the looks of the USG. The rounded slide is so much better looking than the square slide on the MKII. I also have Factory fixed Night Sights on the USG on my carry Five seveN. Much better than the big adjustable sights for carry purposes. The fixed sights are not an option on the MKII and can't be configured that way.

That said, the MKII is beefed up a little bit in the frame and slide. But I don't think it is a big deal. I have thousands of rounds through these guns with zero issues.

It is all about preference. Get whichever you like better. You can't go wrong with either.

Also the Five seveN is surprisingly a pleasure to carry. Fully loaded with with 21 rounds of T6B my USG weighs exactly 28 ozs. That's Less than my S&W Shield with 8 rounds, or my Glock 19, or my CZ...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your helpful replies.

I now agree that the form of the MkII aka gen2 does look better, which is all subjective really.  I still don't like the plastic and smooth gray controls on the first gen and overall the MkII just looks better imo.

Went back to one of the LGS today and they still have a FDE MkII, NIB that's calling my name (make that 2  MkII's, both FDE).  Before committing, I'd like to lay eyes on a full black MkII first though.

The plan is to make a decision by the weekend, because the MkII's will be sold since there's a local gunshow this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
FDE MK 2!

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both FDE and Black. Get the FDE, it looks much cooler. How many black guns do you have already? I am at the point where I avoid buying guns that are only black. In fact I can't remember the last all black gun I bought. Boring!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a MKII in FDE, I think they look better than the all black MKIIs and I do like it more than my last MKI which was black with grey controls. You really can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I got the MkII FDE today!  The LGS gave me a decent deal, only $80 more than a used first gen1 model in black, which has the nasty gray controls. After I went to both stores today, I decided the gray controls they weren't that bad after all.  

I have a question...do people pull the serial# sticker off the top of the slide before shooting it?  Seems sacrilegious  to remove anything that was applied at the factory, for an FN product anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I got the MkII FDE today!  The LGS gave me a decent deal, only $80 more than a used first gen1 model in black, which has the nasty gray controls. After I went to both stores today, I decided the gray controls they weren't that bad after all.  

I have a question...do people pull the serial# sticker off the top of the slide before shooting it?  Seems sacrilegious  to remove anything that was applied at the factory, for an FN product anyway.
View Quote
First thing I did.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeh, I pulled it off and put it in the box. I also removed the mag safety, I can't stand those things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I pulled the sticker off too. Just didn't feel "right" to do that to an FN lol.

I despise mag Safeties also, but haven't looked into removing it.

I was surprised how clean and well oiled it was out of the box. The manual instructs to clean it first, but didn't seem to need it imo.

Now I'm on the hunt for some ammo other than the blue tipped. My LGS has FN cases in stock, but its blue tipped, and $$$ of course.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Look closely at removal procedures on deactivating the magazine safety, there are a couple of different methods. The one that looks the best to me involves cutting a small piece off but it retains the forceful ejection of the magazines.

If you are looking for FN SS198 (Green Tip) your best bet is Midwest Gun Works.
View Quote
Good points here. I will say I did noice a bit less spring pressure on the mag ejection after removing it. I may put it back in with a cm or so nipped off the end of it. No issues with it all the way out though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Been finding plenty of FN blue tipped and no shortage of FN labeled 27 grain with hollowpoint. Went through my FiveSeven's first 200 rounds, which were 40 grain blue tipped, without a single hiccup yesterday.  The plan is to try some FN 27 grain hollowpoints next.  This is the ammo FN states may have problems with cycling in the Mk II iirc (letter that FN includes in the Mk II plastic case).  I'd really like to have a reliable and readily available round besides only FN's 40 grain blue tips.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Midwest Gun Works usually stocks FN SS198 (Green Tip)

It's "hotter" than the FN SS195 that FN warns might have functioning issues.
View Quote
This. The SS198lf has run fine in both my PS90 and the MkII Five SeveN
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top