User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I just spent a couple of hours at the range and had 80 rounds of SS197 with me along with my range Five seveN.

Flawless function as usual. Zero malfunctions to date.

Rounds count is now at 2,097.

800 rounds since it has been cleaned.

I also shot my carry Five seveN. It is a MKI (USG) with the fixed factory night sights. It only has about 500 rounds through it after today. Since it is sighted in for the lighter loads, I fired 50 rounds of SS195 and 50 rounds of SS198. Zero malfunctions. I also ran 20 rounds of my carry load Elite Ammo T6B. As previous experience has shown me, at 10 yards T6B hits just around an inch higher than the SS195 and 198.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
FiVe SevEns are very fun to shoot and own.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got myself one can't wait to get it out to the range
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Without a doubt the most accurate factory pistol I've ever fired.  I wish I had one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 We have a winner!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm wishing that someone comes out w/ an AR upper for the 5.7x28mm or the .22" TCM that takes their respective pistol mags.  (Waits for someone to fail to read the last half of the sentence.)
Ar57 is what you seek

There was a thread on here about a Tcm carbine
 We have a winner!
LOL 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Finally got myself one can't wait to get it out to the range
View Quote
Great, please share your experience with us when you do.

Keep in mind the factory pistols are sighted in with the 27gr SS195 (produced by FNH in Belgium). SO if you run the 40gr SS197 (made by Fioochi here in the US, it will hit a bit low. Always at least a couple of inches low for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I visited the range again yesterday. Now up to 2,140 rounds. Still flawless. Has not been cleaned in 840 rounds.

I will clean the chamber at least before I take it out again. Don't want the lacquer from the cases to build up too much.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Keep in mind the factory pistols are sighted in with the 27gr SS195 (produced by FNH in Belgium). SO if you run the 40gr SS197 (made by Fioochi here in the US, it will hit a bit low. Always at least a couple of inches low for me.
View Quote
Finally got it out to the range. One of my favorite guns hands down. Put about 300 rounds through it mixed ss197 and American eagle. Also shot some elite ammunition and was really disappointed in it. Stuff is not cheap had 2 Duds and 3 had to be struck twice before they fired. No issues with ae or fn ammo though
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finally got it out to the range. One of my favorite guns hands down. Put about 300 rounds through it mixed ss197 and American eagle. Also shot some elite ammunition and was really disappointed in it. Stuff is not cheap had 2 Duds and 3 had to be struck twice before they fired. No issues with ae or fn ammo though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you find you shoot it well? Group nicely for you?

I am shocked by what you are telling me about Elite Ammo. Which round are you shooting? Is it current production with EAs new brass? I've run a fair number of Elite Ammo T6B in my pistols and have never had anything but perfect and consistent performance. Maybe BUFFMAN can jump in here and comment once you tell us which EA rounds? He is the go to guy on EA ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you find you shoot it well? Group nicely for you?

I am shocked by what you are telling me about Elite Ammo. Which round are you shooting? Is it current production with EAs new brass? I've run a fair number of Elite Ammo T6B in my pistols and have never had anything but perfect and consistent performance. Maybe BUFFMAN can jump in here and comment once you tell us which EA rounds? He is the go to guy on EA ammo.
View Quote
Shot great easily shoots better than I'm capable of haha. I was shooting penetrator 2.0 and protector III. It was new ea brass. I sent an email to them but they're away right now. I'm sure they'll be helpful. I've only heard good things so that's why I was so disappointed. I only shot 15 rounds of each and had that malfunctions.

Struck those 3 times and wouldn't fire. Doesn't look like light strikes to me but what do you guys think
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting. I've never had a primer ignition failure with EA, but there's a first time for everything. Some have had issues with the 08 brass feeding and extracting..
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting. I've never had a primer ignition failure with EA, but there's a first time for everything. Some have had issues with the 08 brass feeding and extracting..
View Quote
No issues feeding or extracting ejection was right at 3 o'clock and flew about 7 yards
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I ran another 90 rounds through my Five seveN yesterday. Now at 2230 rounds. Still not a single issue or hiccup. Over 900 rounds without cleaning. It is still not the least bit dirty. But I am going to clean it before I head out again. Especially the chamber, though it does not look at all dirty.

I normally start thinking about changing my recoil spring around the 2500 rounds mark on my pistols. I know it is overkill, but I do it anyway. No reason to let the spring weaken. However, on the Five seveN changing the recoil spring is not a simple task. I have the parts and tools, but I'm going to let this one run till 4k rounds before changing.

I thought I would post my WORST group of the day for a change. 10 yards 10 rounds SS197 offhand. This group is just a hair under 2". Honestly all 9 groups I shot yesterday were under two inches.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No issues feeding or extracting ejection was right at 3 o'clock and flew about 7 yards
View Quote
Jay is back. I'm sure he'll take care of you and make it right.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Definitely contact Jay at Elite Ammo and tell him about the issues you had. Let us know what he says. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, Definitely contact Jay at Elite Ammo and tell him about the issues you had. Let us know what he says. Thanks!
View Quote
He sent me a return label today will be shipping the ammo back and I'll let you guys know what he says
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He sent me a return label today will be shipping the ammo back and I'll let you guys know what he says
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok so I decided to clean my range Five seveN last night as it is approaching 1000 rounds since the last cleaning.

Does this look like a gun that has had 1000 rounds fired through it? Does it even look slightly dirty?

I simply broke the gun down as seen here. Nothing has been wiped or touched with anything.

I have owned at least 200 handguns over the last 30 years. I have never had a gun come close to being this clean after a few hundred rounds, never mind 1000 rounds. This is pretty much a maintenance free gun. Sure give it a little cleaning now and again, and that's it. Actually I'm sure if you just gave the chamber a good scrubbing every once in a while and put a little lube in the gun it would run for thousands of rounds without a real cleaning.

I think part of it is that all the ammo available in 5.7x28 is premium ammo. It uses more expensive components and powders. I have run all the major loadings through my Five seveN pistols and none of them foul the gun. Even the least expensive of the bunch America Eagle 40gr loaded by Fiocchi. Right now I see the AE ammo for $14.99 on PSA with free shipping on 10 boxes. I personally don't run the AE ammo any more because I have had problems with the bullets falling out of the cases while in the mag. This gun runs a steady diet of SS197 the next cheapest ammo ($17.99 a box at PSA), which is also loaded by Fiocchi here in the US. The other two loads available in the US come directly from FN in Belgium; SS195 and SS198, and are both more expensive than the Fiocchi loads.

The part of the frame where the arrow is pointing to is NOT dirty. The surface there is just dimpled that way, it's not crud. When I wipe my finger over that area there is no dirt on my finger. Which is also true pretty much anywhere I wipe my finger. Basically what I am saying here is that it is very hard to tell the difference between a Five seveN that has just been cleaned and a Five seveN that has 1000 rounds through it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great post!

It goes to prove how solid of a design the pistol is.
View Quote
Meh!

4 years ago all the GD Expert Gun Hobbiests said the 5-7 was a...

Range Toy.

Didn't stop me from buying some...

LOL!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Since this is a 5.7x28mm thread, if anyone has an AR5.7 16" upper:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1987882_A-celebration---A-wedding---And-a-giveaway-.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since this is a 5.7x28mm thread, if anyone has an AR5.7 16" upper:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1987882_A-celebration---A-wedding---And-a-giveaway-.html
View Quote
I got one years ago...

Still in the box, friggin too heavy for a lightweight build for 5.7...

Great idea if someone would redesign it...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a FDE Five-seveN today, super stoked I found one in FDE! I also ordered a PS90 and it will be in on Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I picked up a FDE Five-seveN today, super stoked I found one in FDE! I also ordered a PS90 and it will be in on Thursday.
View Quote
Both are excellent firearms. You'll love the PS90.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#28]
My SO, just brought her's to me a minute ago to show the wear on the trigger guard from her push button release fast draw holster, forget the brand, very popular...
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Op just so you know you convinced me to buy nib fde 5.7 off gun broker last night.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's mine. Bought it Friday.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Bought one just like this one today to go with the PS90 SBR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Op just so you know you convinced me to buy nib fde 5.7 off gun broker last night.
View Quote
That is awesome. Glad I helped someone make a good decisions for once ;)

You will be VERY happy you did. Let us know what you think once you have spent some time with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Excellent!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Picked up the PS90 to keep the Five-seveN company. I'll do the SBR papers right away.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice! Do that paperwork right away!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#36]
NVM
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Having finally cleaned it after almost 1000 rounds I made a few visits to the range (though not all shown above). Today I put another 150 rounds of SS197 through my range Five seveN. That makes a total of 2,460 rounds. It just pounded out the rounds without a hitch. The same very boring reliability I have come to expect from these guns.

Here are a few groups from today. The usual 10 rounds at 10 yards offhand. The second group was one of my worst groups today.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Been spending a fair amount of time with the FiveSeveN's, only gripe I can find thus far is that when you are running lots of rounds through them the metal frame pins get hot as hell and burn my support hand thumb right where I place it on the frame.

This caused me so much grief that I bought another FiveSeveN to rotate out when the other gets hot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Been spending a fair amount of time with the FiveSeveN's, only gripe I can find thus far is that when you are running lots of rounds through them the metal frame pins get hot as hell and burn my support hand thumb right where I place it on the frame.

This caused me so much grief that I bought another FiveSeveN to rotate out when the other gets hot.
View Quote
That's funny. I place my thumb right above that spot. But excellent excuse to buy another!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Broke the 2500 round mark today. Now at 2510 rounds. Same old stuff. Perfect reliability and super accuracy.

I normally change my recoil springs around the 2500 round mark. I know that is early, but it is cheap and can't hurt. However changing the recoil spring on this gun is an ordeal. So we will see when that happens.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I took my FsN and Glock 17 to the range today. My two favorite pistols and the FsN by far had a better trigger and tighter groups.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Anecdotal evidence but I thought I'd share....

Had 3 125lb boars in my trap this week and decided to see how the 5.7 round performed. The magazine had a mix of 198lf and 197sr.

First hog shot was drt with 198. 2nd hog shot with 198 was facing me, the round entered between the eyes and exited the rear ham, was a weird path for sure so I gave that pig a round of 197. DRT.

3rd was hit with 197 in his CNS and again was DRT.

Blood loss was substantial, gushing exits with both rounds, especially the round that transversed the torso.

No rounds were recovered as these were turned into buzzard meat.  

I had a few reservations about this round but after seeing how it did on this hogs I feel more than confident carrying it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice! My B-I-L has shot a few deer with his (these were injured deer he put out of their misery) and the mess the 198lf made was larger than when he used 357 mag! Of course both rounds did the job but he said the exit holes were larger with the FsN.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Very nice! My B-I-L has shot a few deer with his (these were injured deer he put out of their misery) and the mess the 198lf made was larger than when he used 357 mag! Of course both rounds did the job but he said the exit holes were larger with the FsN.
View Quote
I can believe it. Velocity is hell on soft tissue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#47]
To think...

Not long ago, Arfcom "Gun Expert/Hobbyists" claimed the 5-7 round a practically useless range toy...

Just like they did about the AR15 pistol about 8+ years ago.

Experts...

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To think...

Not long ago, Arfcom "Gun Expert/Hobbyists" claimed the 5-7 round a practically useless range toy...
View Quote
They still do! You can't mention a PS90, Five seveN pistol or 5.7x28 ammo in a thread without the "experts" piling on. Look earlier on in this thread, plenty of detractors. Few of whom have ever fired a single 5.7 round or weapon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They still do! You can't mention a PS90, Five seveN pistol or 5.7x28 ammo in a thread without the "experts" piling on. Look earlier on in this thread, plenty of detractors. Few of whom have ever fired a single 5.7 round or weapon.
View Quote
High ESTROGEN Hobbyist-Expert-Fudds...

LOL!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#50]
OP HERE:

Another 150 rounds down the pipe. Now at 2660. Still zero malfunctions. I'm running the AE 40gr FMJ crap too right now. At $149 for 500 rounds delivered from PSA, I had to do it. I will report back soon!
Page / 3
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top