User Panel

Site Notices
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 7 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crusherdestroyer] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

@crusherdestroyer Mark 2 or 3? If it's a three have you removed the LCI? If it's a 2 have you cleaned it really well? I ended up replacing my recoil spring to get it reliably feeding
View Quote
Mark 4.
It does need to be cleaned.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Volquartesen has some more MKIV uppers on the cheap if anybody was looking for one.

https://volquartsen.com/clearance
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]

He did a real nice job on mine.   I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Embarrassingly, my MaddMacs 2.5” would not cycle for shit yesterday while shooting with Thunderbeast over their meter

Federal bulk pack and CCI quiet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Embarrassingly, my MaddMacs 2.5” would not cycle for shit yesterday while shooting with Thunderbeast over their meter

Federal bulk pack and CCI quiet.
View Quote

You may want to try a reduced power spring. I can't remember the last time I shot my stubby but I have one of these around.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Plasticseng:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Replying to my own post to add pictures.

As delivered.  The machining looks crisp, and he put a nice undercut at the shoulder.

Attachment Attached File

I put a little cold blue on it to keep the rust away:

Attachment Attached File

The final product.  I also added the MaddMacs center mount and dumped the pic rail.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Replying to my own post to add pictures.

As delivered.  The machining looks crisp, and he put a nice undercut at the shoulder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247941/20220521_121156_jpg-2392162.JPG

I put a little cold blue on it to keep the rust away:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247941/20220521_123959_jpg-2392164.JPG

The final product.  I also added the MaddMacs center mount and dumped the pic rail.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247941/20220521_174431_jpg-2392171.JPG

View Quote

Looks nice!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a stainless Ruger MK3 Target that my father gave me. Want a short barrel MK to suppress, but didn't want to cut the original setup due to sentimental value.

Jumped on GunBroker, and found an identical stainless upper. Should be on the way to my FFL on Monday. All I really need to do is clean it up, put in a LCI filler, get it cut/threaded... and then add a red dot/mount. Once that's done, will be another option for my Rugged Oculus than the Beretta Covert.

I have another shop that I found, which I'm going to send a message to once I have the upper in hand. Will post up info on what I find out/end results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
I have a stainless Ruger MK3 Target that my father gave me. Want a short barrel MK to suppress, but didn't want to cut the original setup due to sentimental value.

Jumped on GunBroker, and found an identical stainless upper. Should be on the way to my FFL on Monday. All I really need to do is clean it up, put in a LCI filler, get it cut/threaded... and then add a red dot/mount. Once that's done, will be another option for my Rugged Oculus than the Beretta Covert.

I have another shop that I found, which I'm going to send a message to once I have the upper in hand. Will post up info on what I find out/end results.
View Quote

ONE OF US.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr_big_jm] [#10]
Here is my Mark 1 Stubby. Morgan did the threading and Vincent at Stonebridge Gun Works here in KC put the front sight on for me.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mr_big_jm:
Here is my Mark 1 Stubby. Morgan did the threading and Vincent at Stonebridge Gun Works here in KC put the front sight on for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298003/upload_1_jpg-2463285.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298003/upload_2_jpg-2463286.JPG
View Quote

Very nice!  

Great, clean look.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Since DWilson dropped it from his catalog, where is the go-to place to get a factory MK III 22/45 upper cut?

I've had a 4.5" threaded TacSol for years and factory upper has just sat in the safe since the TacSol arrived. I'd like to go even shorter for giggles.

Probably a pipe dream, but are any OEM MK III 22/45 frames available anywhere so I could avoid disassembly to swap between the TacSol and factory upper if/when it gets chopped and threaded?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
There are places that will sell a frame but they usually cost the same as a used gun. I bought a used gun specifically to keep the frame but didn’t break it up because I’m a sucker

The cycle continues
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
There are places that will sell a frame but they usually cost the same as a used gun. I bought a used gun specifically to keep the frame but didn’t break it up because I’m a sucker

The cycle continues
View Quote

haha, that's what I'm worried about.

I'm invested in the MK III 22/45 at this point with holster, mags, loader, etc, but wouldn't mind a second OEM frame for a shorter barrel and suppressor combo. Would probably get another/shorter holster as the one now is similar to the Black Dog offering linked further up and it'd be ridiculusly oversized for a 2" barrel and Spectre II combo. Though if I do the chop job I'll almost certainly get a Bowers Bitty or another of the tiny suppressors with baffles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
There a 3-D printable frame yet?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
So I got my upper today… which the GB seller said it was stainless. Look under the rear sight, someone took a wire wheel and removed the black finish.

For what I need, it is fine. Barrel cleaned up well. It is soaking in my ultrasonic right now, and will probably see if there are any sharp edges to take down. Will probably send it to CCR after the cut/thread, and have it plated.

Question for those who know… the black MK3 Target models… are the receiver/barrel carbon steel or blackened stainless? Just for personal knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they were all blued.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they were all blued.
View Quote

So pulled out a magnet to compare… I get some stainless is magnetic.

Stainless upper… sticks to barrel, but not receiver.

GB upper… sticks to both barrel and receiver.

Weird thing, same prefix on both (227), but the GB upper is 700ish higher than the stainless. It’s a stamped serial on the GB upper verses laser engraved on the stainless.

Barrel looks great after the ultrasonic. I’ll clean it up on my next set of days off and contact the threading company. Will worry about the plating after that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 7:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#20]

Very happy with how it came out. Jim from JP Grips & Machine did an awesome job with the work. Have a Holosun 507C that should be here tomorrow. Want to go to the range to mess around without the can to confirm rounds aren’t keyholing, but the suppressor alignment is good to go with my .22 rod.

Got an OWB holster that seems to work, but the red dot might push it a little higher than desired. Trigger looks like it will be covered, so should be good.

Once I know it’s runs, I’ll get the upper to CCR so it doesn’t rust.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]
https://imgur.com/a/I9DLxAB

Shoots like a dream, even without sights.

Federal bull would not cycle out of the 2” barrel. CCI MiniMags did. All rounds hit the paper dead on… so it stabilized them. Put the can on, and I was impressed. 1,260 FPS rated ammo didn’t get supersonic.

Cleaning the can now. Going to toss the upper in the ultrasonic, and clean it up well for refinishing. CCR still has a 20% sale going on, so I want to get it in for that. Can’t wait to get it back and toss the red dot on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]
All done…

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Very cool to see another shop doing the super short chop.

Any chance you can run some CCI SV to see if it cycles with the can on?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#24]
2” barrel on mine will cycle CCI Suppressor Sub 45grns with a reduced power recoil spring without a can attached.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

View Quote

They will run. Only time I didn’t have it functioning was with the can off… mainly Federal bulk.

I just tend not to run the subsonic loads because CCI MiniMag is subsonic in this. Rather save the subsonic ammo for something that needs it (8” barrel on my M&P15-22).
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#26]

They will run. Only time I didn’t have it functioning was with the can off… mainly Federal bulk.

I just tend not to run the subsonic loads because CCI MiniMag is subsonic in this. Rather save the subsonic ammo for something that needs it (8” barrel on my M&P15-22).
View All Quotes

Thanks, and that makes sense ref Minimag vs SV or subs

I bought 15k of CCI SV a number of years ago when Midway USA had a crazy sale on it so it's what I've been using in all my .22s since.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#28]
So with d.wilson refusing to do these anymore, is there a go-to shop for this work now?

@Screwball - Who did yours?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#29]
On my list to do since I have a few non threaded barrels.  Hoping I can find a reputable local place that’ll do the work.  Suggestions around Puget Sound area would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
So with d.wilson refusing to do these anymore, is there a go-to shop for this work now?

View Quote

@mr_big_jm too as he had one done too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Standing by. I think I need one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

JP Grips & Machine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#33]
MK3 Firearms has a Ruger MK0 package.

No idea on cost or turnaround time, but their instagram is full of pictures of their work.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:44:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#34]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

No idea on cost or turnaround time, but their instagram is full of pictures of their work.
View Quote

They say MK4 on their website, but also mention ‘like models’. Wonder if they’d take my factory MK3 in for a chop and thread job. I just emailed them asking if they do Mk3s and asking about estimated cost and time for a factory MK3 chop and thread.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

my friend was happy w/ Grumpy's service & turnaround

https://grumpysguns.com/barrelthreadingservicePistol.aspx
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]

They say MK4 on their website, but also mention ‘like models’. Wonder if they’d take my factory MK3 in for a chop and thread job. I just emailed them asking if they do Mk3s and asking about estimated cost and time for a factory MK3 chop and thread.
View All Quotes

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but I haven't used them before. Very happy with my d.wilson upper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#37]

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but I haven't used them before. Very happy with my d.wilson upper.
View All Quotes

Humble D Wilson brag
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#38]

Humble D Wilson brag
View All Quotes

Humble D Wilson brag

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Morgan with class 3 machining did my Ruger and another barrel. He does great work and is good to deal with. He will get all my threading work moving forward.

https://class3machining.com/
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the leads guys
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Morgan with class 3 machining did my Ruger and another barrel. He does great work and is good to deal with. He will get all my threading work moving forward.

View All Quotes

Grassy ass
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Grassy ass
View All Quotes

Grassy ass

Pretty sure Morgan stopped doing these
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#43]

View All Quotes

Grassy ass

I emailed and he replied with the below less than 3hrs later.

Can cut, crown and thread it for 90 if just upper is sent.

Then just include a prepaid return label, most of my customers use pirateship.com

5-7 business day turnaround

Might take him up on that and get my OEM MK3 cut down and sell my TACSOL upper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Then just include a prepaid return label, most of my customers use pirateship.com

View All Quotes

Grassy ass

Nice
Glad I’m wrong
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 5:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EARRNHARDT3] [#45]
I know this is an old thread.  But I just had Volquartsen cut down my MKIV down to 2”
It runs perfectly with the suppressor on. But it will not run on standard velocity with out the suppressor.  I don’t plan on shooting it much with the suppressor off.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By EARRNHARDT3:
I know this is an old thread.  But I just had Volquartsen cut down my MKIV down to 2”
It runs perfectly with the suppressor on. But it will not run on standard velocity with out the suppressor.  I don’t plan on shooting it much with the suppressor on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66213/46FD4B43-E657-4E1F-95EF-9FA9B994A4DA_jpe-2785844.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66213/F4D306B3-88F8-4C46-B12A-3817352E7C3A_jpe-2785845.JPG
View Quote

Presume you meant "I don’t plan on shooting it much with the suppressor off."

That looks great. Mind if I ask how much Volquartsen charged you for the chop job?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By EARRNHARDT3:
It runs perfectly with the suppressor on. But it will not run on standard velocity with out the suppressor.  I don’t plan on shooting it much with the suppressor on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66213/46FD4B43-E657-4E1F-95EF-9FA9B994A4DA_jpe-2785844.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66213/F4D306B3-88F8-4C46-B12A-3817352E7C3A_jpe-2785845.JPG
View Quote

A lighter recoil spring from VQ may improve reliability.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Presume you meant "I don’t plan on shooting it much with the suppressor off."

That looks great. Mind if I ask how much Volquartsen charged you for the chop job?
View Quote

Yep I can’t write today for some reason

VQ charged me $118 to cut and thread and ship back to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

A lighter recoil spring from VQ may improve reliability.
View Quote

I was going to try different springs but it runs fine with the can on so I am not worried about it. I plan running the can 99% of the time.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#50]
It's still amazing that the actual firearm component of Ruger MK pistols is practically disposable, but the grips are hens teeth, lol. Magpul could make a mint with polymer lowers.
Page / 9
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 7 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top