User Panel

Site Notices
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 4 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seattlite:

What are the details of the front sight?  How did you attach?  Drill/tap/screw?  Make and Model?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seattlite:
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
Well it's a shooter. No issue stabilizing CCI SV.

Took a new shooter and a Marine who hadn't shot in a couple of years. Neither had shot suppressed before and they found it very entertaining, hence the comment and laughter in the first video.

Shot first with the Spectre II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJg936B9ui8

Then with my Oculus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlMR4IMH9A

Target, ragged holes aren't tumbling, just 2+ rounds

https://i.imgur.com/57vY7ySl.jpg

It was a little high so I dialed that in. All told it's just what I wanted. Now time for upgrades.

What are the details of the front sight?  How did you attach?  Drill/tap/screw?  Make and Model?

The front sights I put on are a modified stock sight. They are shortened in a few dimensions to work in the different location. They are held on using the front most scope mount hole that's already drilled and tapped.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Oh so sneaky and oh so stubby.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

That's a handsome pistol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

This is a great looking pistol.  Can you show it without the Spectre II?  I like how it mates against the receiver.  I have a Spectre, as well, and I'm curious as to how it mounts so flush.

Love this look.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ScottS:

This is a great looking pistol.  Can you show it without the Spectre II?  I like how it mates against the receiver.  I have a Spectre, as well, and I'm curious as to how it mounts so flush.

Love this look.
View Quote

Yeah I love how flush that looks. Makes me wonder if I could have a MK IV barrel threaded to the same thread pattern as the SiCo Spectre II thread mount. Kinda like a semi-integral.

I'd buy another upper and ship it off to give it a go if that was possible,
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

Yeah I love how flush that looks. Makes me wonder if I could have a MK IV barrel threaded to the same thread pattern as the SiCo Spectre II thread mount. Kinda like a semi-integral.

I'd buy another upper and ship it off to give it a go if that was possible,
View Quote

It's basically the same gun there's pics out there. It's just normal 1/2x28 threads.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#7]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

It's basically the same gun there's pics out there. It's just normal 1/2x28 threads.
View Quote

I'm confused.  Do you have a different end-cap?

Here's my Spectre on my Shorty:

Attachment Attached File

Close-up:

Attachment Attached File

My Spectre has an "extended" end-cap that prevents that flush look you have, and I covet!

ETA: not "end-cap" but the muzzle thread adapter.  You get my point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing something like this.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

https://i.imgur.com/spfdykg.jpg
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

That is cool as shit.  Beautiful work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Dave does great work. Great looking guns!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Hell yes.

I have an integral Paclite TSS but I’m pretty disappointed in the FRP, especially for a K baffle design.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Outrider:  Hell yes.

I have an integral Paclite TSS but I’m pretty disappointed in the FRP, especially for a K baffle design.
View Quote

CO2?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a slick setup. How much does that cost ? I currently have a order in for one of your shorty MKIV uppers, but I may need this also.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I misunderstood what you were asking.

View Quote

That's amazing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:41:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Techna] [#17]

View Quote

Yes, very similarly done. Requires leaving a baffle out of the Spectre II for the barrel length I wanted. Originally the barrel was left longer and two baffles were removed with the thinking being that the longer barrel might help with reliability, but that didn’t prove to be the case. Cutting the barrel back enough to allow one of the baffles to go back in, added some quietness without making the already poor reliability any worse. It likes 40 grain ammo only, and oddly Remington Golden Bullet more than CCI Mini Mags. The chamber seems a bit tight and a little rough so I thought I’d see what a chamber reamer does for it. I never shot the gun before it went under the knife, so I can’t comment on how it was when unaltered. You’d think that when running an experiment to see how barrel length impacts reliability I’d have done the smart thing and establish a baseline with an unmodified barrel... Yea, you’d think that, but you’d be wrong.

BTW, Unclemoak. I followed your username back to your “New Form 1 project... Part Deux” thread. Very cool stuff you were doing. Any updates?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Techna:

Yes, very similarly done. Requires leaving a baffle out of the Spectre II for the barrel length I wanted. Originally the barrel was left longer and two baffles were removed with the thinking being that the longer barrel might help with reliability, but that didn’t prove to be the case. Cutting the barrel back enough to allow one of the baffles to go back in, added some quietness without making the already poor reliability any worse. It likes 40 grain ammo only, and oddly Remington Golden Bullet more than CCI Mini Mags. The chamber seems a bit tight and a little rough so I thought I’d see what a chamber reamer does for it. I never shot the gun before it went under the knife, so I can’t comment on how it was when unaltered. You’d think that when running an experiment to see how barrel length impacts reliability I’d have done the smart thing and establish a baseline with an unmodified barrel... Yea, you’d think that, but you’d be wrong.

BTW, Unclemoak. I followed your username back to your “New Form 1 project... Part Deux” thread. Very cool stuff you were doing. Any updates?
View Quote
Well, it looks cool as shit.  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, it looks cool as shit.  Nicely done.
View Quote

Thanks ScottS. I do think I’ll order another upper and just chop and thread it along the lines of the one you showed in your original post. Kinda wish I’d bought several back when they could be had for $25.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Techna:  Yes, very similarly done. Requires leaving a baffle out of the Spectre II for the barrel length I wanted. Originally the barrel was left longer and two baffles were removed with the thinking being that the longer barrel might help with reliability, but that didn’t prove to be the case. Cutting the barrel back enough to allow one of the baffles to go back in, added some quietness without making the already poor reliability any worse. It likes 40 grain ammo only, and oddly Remington Golden Bullet more than CCI Mini Mags. The chamber seems a bit tight and a little rough so I thought I’d see what a chamber reamer does for it. I never shot the gun before it went under the knife, so I can’t comment on how it was when unaltered. You’d think that when running an experiment to see how barrel length impacts reliability I’d have done the smart thing and establish a baseline with an unmodified barrel... Yea, you’d think that, but you’d be wrong.

View Quote

Have you tried 42 grn Eley?

Could one have the back direct threaded for a specific suppressor, and then thread the front portion 1/2"x28 tpi, so you could use any can?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

CO2?
View Quote

IMO I shouldn't have to mess with gas or ablatives on rimfire. I have other traditional muzzle mounted cans that have virtually no FRP. I was disappointed a K baffle integral was so loud.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Techna] [#22]

Have you tried 42 grn Eley?

Could one have the back direct threaded for a specific suppressor, and then thread the front portion 1/2"x28 tpi, so you could use any can?
View Quote

Forgot about this thread. I’ve not yet tried 42 grain Eley, but may have to. I’m sure there’s a way to do what you propose, but it’s probably not practical. With my Spectre II, the front of my threaded adapter needed to interface with the rear most baffle in a similar way that the factory SiCo threaded back cap does. Of course, I never set out to make a part to work with the suppressor and it was just a happy accident that it did. No, my project was to make a mini can cannon for launching mini soda cans with .22 power loads. When I was finished it just so happened to fit the Spectre. Edited to add video.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Forgot about this thread. I’ve not yet tried 42 grain Eley, but may have to. I’m sure there’s a way to do what you propose, but it’s probably not practical. With my Spectre II, the front of my threaded adapter needed to interface with the rear most baffle in a similar way that the factory SiCo threaded back cap does. Of course, I never set out to make a part to work with the suppressor and it was just a happy accident that it did. No, my project was to make a mini can cannon for launching mini soda cans with .22 power loads. When I was finished it just so happened to fit the Spectre.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/52AB54BD-A6B6-43F4-8090-4AC8C92F0240_png-1766761.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/DDB3C587-F1A1-4F2E-B0DE-4D352D62AD5E_jpe-1766758.JPG
View Quote

That’s awesome. My friend built a arrow gun MKII but I’ve never seen a can cannon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Volquartsen has some MKIV stubbies ready to go.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4538?clearance=1
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#25]

Forgot about this thread. I’ve not yet tried 42 grain Eley, but may have to. I’m sure there’s a way to do what you propose, but it’s probably not practical. With my Spectre II, the front of my threaded adapter needed to interface with the rear most baffle in a similar way that the factory SiCo threaded back cap does. Of course, I never set out to make a part to work with the suppressor and it was just a happy accident that it did. No, my project was to make a mini can cannon for launching mini soda cans with .22 power loads. When I was finished it just so happened to fit the Spectre. Edited to add video.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/52AB54BD-A6B6-43F4-8090-4AC8C92F0240_png-1766761.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/DDB3C587-F1A1-4F2E-B0DE-4D352D62AD5E_jpe-1766758.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZgbMDFyqo
View Quote

“Hey man can you pass me a diet?” “Yeah, airline cans are fine thanks” bloop
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Volquartsen has some MKIV stubbies ready to go.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4538?clearance=1
View Quote

Sold out by the time I looked so I’m curious what they were asking? I picked up a take-off upper from them to cut and thread conventionally(1/2-28) at 2” or so. Figured it offer an interesting real time comparison between it and my one baffle removed setup and it was cheap enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Sold out by the time I looked so I’m curious what they were asking?
View Quote

+1 ?

So what's the down side to a 2" MKIV barrel? Accuracy? Reliability? Ammo Sensitivity? I will be running a MRDS instead of irons. I'm stocked pile deep with 40gr standard velocity ammo (CCI SV, Fed Automatch and some Gemtech 42gr) so I don't want to have to find and buy HV ammo to make it run. Suppressor will be an Element II
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Just got mine back from getting cut/threaded.

Awesome work!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By skebe:
Just got mine back from getting cut/threaded.

Awesome work!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79569/PXL_20210121_184345924_jpg-1791019.JPG
View Quote

Awesome!  That looks great!

Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#30]
im definitely a fan of this thread. i saw a shorty mk4 upper for sale in the ee a few weeks ago and my interest was piqued. i didnt buy it sadly but im glad to see it wasnt just a one off thing
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:43:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#31]

So what's the down side to a 2" MKIV barrel? Accuracy? Reliability? Ammo Sensitivity?
View Quote

None of you guys have any input on this?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#32]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

None of you guys have any input on this?
View Quote

I don't have any insight specific to the MKIV, but my MkII runs great (on Fed Bulk Pak, Fed Suppressor, CCI Mini Mag.  That's my go-to ammo.), and is waaay more accurate than you'd think.  Certainly as accurate as I can hold.  This has been discussed (and I think I posted an actual target) throughout the thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#33]

I don't have any insight specific to the MKIV, but my MkII runs great (on Fed Bulk Pak, Fed Suppressor, CCI Mini Mag.  That's my go-to ammo.), and is waaay more accurate than you'd think.  Certainly as accurate as I can hold.  This has been discussed (and I think I posted an actual target) throughout the thread.
View Quote

I was worried about it when I first saw them because the look so short and we are used to seeing a conventional barrel. Then someone pointed out that they are pretty close to little Beretta's and its copies that have been around forever. Then I realized that there were also snub nosed revos with sub 2" barrels that don't seem to have problems with stabilization.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#34]
There might be a disadvantage when it comes to plate racks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Oh I am sure but you could just shoot stingers or something else fast to make up for it. Don't need to be quiet shooting steel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

My club has 8" falling steel plats at 15 yards, and my Stubby has no more problem dropping the plates than any other .22LR.

And, in fairness, I didn't build this up as my steel challenge gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
The boy & I were shooting centerfire plates today w/ Fatalwishes' Gov't Target Ruger, and you had to hit the very top of the plate to make it fall.  That was w/ Winchester's high speed black box, & a long bbl.

Not a huge deal, just the only disadvantage I can think of from chopping the bbl so short.  When my MIL (age 80) complained about .380 recoil, I put her in the long bbl Ruger SR-22 to get her the most penetration possible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#38]
The boy & I were shooting centerfire plates today w/ Fatalwishes' Gov't Target Ruger, and you had to hit the very top of the plate to make it fall.  That was w/ Winchester's high speed black box, & a long bbl.

Not a huge deal, just the only disadvantage I can think of from chopping the bbl so short.  When my MIL (age 80) complained about .380 recoil, I put her in the long bbl Ruger SR-22 to get her the most penetration possible.
View Quote

Well that's pretty standard for centerfire plates and certainly not any kind of good criteria to judge a 22 on. If it's all you have adjust the plates lighter.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:  Well that's pretty standard for centerfire plates and certainly not any kind of good criteria to judge a 22 on. If it's all you have adjust the plates lighter.
View Quote

airgunner asked the question what is the downside to chopping the bbl to 2".  This is the only downside I can think of, besides shortening the sight radius, which is easily remedied w/ a red dot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I appreciate the info guys. I'm going to keep my factory upper with irons for when I want to shoot unsuppressed and get a new upper from Wirthwein Guns and have that one cut down and use a MRDS on it
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Another thread that is going to cost me money, I ordered a $40 MKIV barrel from VQ the other day and I don’t even have a MK IV yet.......I think I have the grips picked out and I am going to swap a RDS set up from a MK II.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]
The 2.1" is back. Cerakoted black as well. Vortex Venom in a Mad Macs mount and Element 2 suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Adco chopped and threaded a MkI bull barrel for me years ago.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#44]
@unclemoak

How is the supply of receivers at the moment? Trying to decide whether to send my upper or by one ready to go....
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
@unclemoak

How is the supply of receivers at the moment? Trying to decide whether to send my upper or by one ready to go....
View Quote

Have a handful in stock.

Considering phasing out doing Ruger work as we've had some real a-hole customers lately

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Have a handful in stock.

Considering phasing out doing Ruger work as we've had some real a-hole customers lately
View Quote
What?!  That would be a real loss.  Your Ruger work is top-notch.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Have a handful in stock.

View Quote

Hate to hear that. Hopefully you'll accept mine though. I can match that description, but not often in business dealings....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#48]
My dealer is teasing me....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 4 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top