Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 1:56:42 AM EDT
Picked this up 2 weeks ago and took it out for a try with my Spectre II. Ran about 300 rounds of various types of ammo without a hiccup. Finally start to clean it and see some unusual looking wear on the frame and top of barrel assembly. It has rubbed the finish off the frame underneath and you can feel some metal removed. There are no visible cracks on the receiver, pin holes and everything is tight. Is this normal?

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone have any wear on their slide that looks anything like this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I just looked at mine. Nothing like that going on with mine. It has a few hundred rounds through it. About half of the rounds were with a suppressor. In my opinion your pistol definitely has an issue and needs to be sent in for repair.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Not wear.  The added metal hanging on the end of the barrel is causing a torque effect so that the left rear corner of the barrel is being banged upward into the underneath rear of the slide.  It is not forward and back wear, but a hammering effect.  Look at the slide.  It is a simple chewed dent.

The alternative is that the frame and barrel locations system is flexing enough to do the same thing however you would wish to describe it.

Pot metal/soft aluminum slide material isn't steel.  Clearly the sharp barrel corner rotated around the long axis of the barrel up into the slide.

Attachment Attached File

Visualizing the parts and function, this would be when the slide is all the way to the rear and the barrel assembly is the least supported.  That's why the damage is forward of the ejection port.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LampShadeActual
Not wear.  The added metal hanging on the end of the barrel is causing a torque effect so that the left rear corner of the barrel is being banged upward into the underneath rear of the slide.  It is not forward and back wear, but a hammering effect.  Look at the slide.  It is a simple chewed dent.

The alternative is that the frame and barrel locations system is flexing enough to do the same thing however you would wish to describe it.

Pot metal/soft aluminum slide material isn't steel.  Clearly the sharp barrel corner rotated around the long axis of the barrel up into the slide.

Visualizing the parts and function, this would be when the slide is all the way to the rear and the barrel assembly is the least supported.  That's why the damage is forward of the ejection port.

Yeah I figured it was impacting or rubbing based on the location.  It strikes me as odd since a lot of people use these with suppressors.  I could find no other instance of this type of wear online.  I am hoping it will not progress much more than this.  The lower/ frame is all very tight and no movement so hopefully it just some tolerances working themselves out.  It runs great.  I don't care how it looks under there but if it starts to affect function or gets a lot deeper, I will send it to S&W.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top