Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2016 7:46:48 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been covered in the past sometime , but I haven't found one anywhere. Has there been a discussion comparing the different kits here on this forum?  Have been pondering the idea of one of the kits , but know very little about them.
Any guidance would be most helpful.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had one of these for several years and it works very well.Accuracy is good too.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/gsg-22lr-1911-conversion-kit-w-10rd-magazine-ger1911conv.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Marvel
Peters Stahl
Kart
Everything else

First three order may vary.

Colt Ace or copies of it had a floating chamber and recoil similar to .45 but was not exceptionally accurate.
I really wish I had kept the copy I had.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]

I have a Marvel Unit 2 that has been very nice. I had issues with the original metal magazine and ended up buying two Advantage Arms polymer mags that work perfectly in the Marvel. I hear that Marvel has added polymer mags to their page.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been very satisfied with my Kimber Target conversion although it has always remained friendly to HV ammo. I installed a 19lb. Hammer strut spring in my frame and it made everything run smoother. Kimber now makes a compact version which I intend to pick up.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like my Advantage Arms standard kit which I mounted to a Rock Island Armory frame I built up.  There is a AA Target model which is the same as the Marvel Target model.  Nelson Custom is producing a Target version of the Bob Marvel design.  Nelson Custom are very well made and supposedly very accurate.

The Ciener 22 conversions have been sold under various names and vary in quality.  Wilson Combat sold a rebranded Ciener conversion as has Iver Johnson.  I bought an EAA which has some of the worst workmanship and design I've seen in a 22 conversion.  I finally got my EAA to run but I don't use it much, it was so bad I wouldn't consider selling it to anyone.

Years ago I owned a Colt Conversion unit I mated to an Alloy frame sold by Federal Ordinance.  This made a very nice gun but I ended up selling the Conversion unit/frame and my Gold Cup National Match to cover medical bills.   The Colt Conversion unit slide is steel and feels more like a centerfire 1911 but my AA standard is more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marvel
Peters Stahl
Kart
Everything else

Colt Ace or copies of it had a floating chamber and recoil similar to .45 but was not exceptionally accurate.
View Quote

The part in red in my case is not exceptionally accurate
That's not too bad, that's how well I shoot my Ruger MKII

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Kimber rimfire target top end on a tuned sr1911 frame is my favorite pistol. I swapped to a Dawson fiber front. And shockingly it works great with promag plastic mags. They are sub $20 each

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the insight , guys. After this thread started , one of the Kimber units showed up on EE , and I bought it. Should get it later this week.
Happy New Year to EVERYONE !!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Marvel
Peters Stahl
Kart
Everything else

View Quote

I had a Pachmyr-marketed Peters-Stahl, and have been quite a bit happier with my Colt conversion unit. Whatever it *might* lack (although I haven't noticed it) in accuracy when compared to a fixed-barrel, it provides experience and feedback that make it a better sub-caliber training tool.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had a Pachmyr-marketed Peters-Stahl, and have been quite a bit happier with my Colt conversion unit. Whatever it *might* lack (although I haven't noticed it) in accuracy when compared to a fixed-barrel, it provides experience and feedback that make it a better sub-caliber training tool.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/r270/12248151_10206425194163266_5290123213114475344_o.jpg?oh=d3f6cf7c202b7b256327977809048455&oe=592391B0
View Quote

I wish I would have kept mine.  
It takes the right match ammo to take advantage of the Peters Stahl.

The Colt groups were embarrassing compared to a 10.5 inch Ruger Standard Model loaded with shorts one at a time a Police Lt. showed me. About a half inch at 20 yards compared to 3-4 inches.  Still nice to have recoil compared to .45 in the same frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top