User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 71
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dedreckon:
Pretty sure this is recent.

Maritime Raid Force (31st MEU) doing rope training. - had to edit, couldn't get pics to load. Found this on dvids site, same unit doing VBSS prep.

https://d1ldvf68ux039x.cloudfront.net/thumbs/photos/2202/7038335/1000w_q95.jpg
View Quote

Nice to see 1911 continue to serve in MEU units. The photo was taken in Feb 2022.
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/7038335/31st-meu-vbss
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mlin:

Nice to see 1911 continue to serve in MEU units. The photo was taken in Feb 2022.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Maritime Raid Force (31st MEU) doing rope training. - had to edit, couldn't get pics to load. Found this on dvids site, same unit doing VBSS prep.

The good old Dirty worst
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

The good old Dirty worst
View Quote

We have a guy in my current unit who swears up and down it was his best MEU deployment. That was a first.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pleaforwar:

We have a guy in my current unit who swears up and down it was his best MEU deployment. That was a first.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pleaforwar:
Originally Posted By 03RN:

The good old Dirty worst

Mine turned into a trip to Fallujah in 04.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Dang, that girl has seen some use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That’s one salty gat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I know where mc911 is, lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Toftwo:
I know where mc911 is, lol
View Quote

Another Gen 4?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pleaforwar] [#9]
Found this Springfield on GB that could be used for a V1 build -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/935385633

ETA - and this one -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/938218785
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Wow the finish didn’t seem to hold up at all.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#11]
Originally Posted By rigger7:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rigger7:

That's why they made the switch to Ionbond finish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#13]
Thinking about letting my Springfield Loaded Pistol and stripped Caspian MC prefix frame go, I have a lot on my plate right now with builds and really don't have the time for the attention to detail on this one at this time. Just looking to get what I have into it if someone here is interested pm me. Giving someone on this thread first dibs before I post publicly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cmdexe:
Thinking about letting my Springfield Loaded and Caspian MC prefix frame go, I have a lot on my plate right now with builds and really don't have the time for the attention to detail on this one at this time. Just looking to get what I have into it if someone here is interested pm me. Giving someone on this thread first dibs before I post publicly.
View Quote

pics?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I’d be interested in the frame, already have a loaded.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Once in a while a part or two pops up.  At this rate I'll have everything needed for a build around 2065. I'd like to find an early Springfield slide or maybe even a "hard slide" next.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Once in a while a part or two pops up.  At this rate I'll have everything needed for a build around 2065. I'd like to find an early Springfield slide or maybe even a "hard slide" next.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84711/PXL_20220817_210451479-2492757.jpg
View Quote
That 201A is a serious score.

Now buy this and get to building.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155102215629
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 11:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#18]
Added an early Springfield slide and Clark grip safety to the parts pile thanks to another member here.

Could I get your thoughts on a receiver.  Of course I'd like to have a USGI receiver but finding one and at a reasonable price is going to be tough.  Thoughts on a commercial Colt or Caspian receiver....?

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:50:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#19]
Added an early Springfield slide and Clark grip safety to the parts pile thanks to another member here.

Could I get your thoughts on a receiver.  Of course I'd like to have a USGI receiver but finding one and at a reasonable price is going to be tough.  Thoughts on a commercial Colt or Caspian receiver....?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84711/PXL_20220828_154750271-2506015.jpg
View Quote

USGI is too expensive. Even if you can get CMP 1911, those have already somewhat of entry level collector items. Caspian will be my pick. PWS used some Caspian receivers on the new style. Not sure if any used for older one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#20]
CMP announced round 3 and introduce new grade. Those sounds like beloved MEUSOC or Army SF improvised pistols. @ $1100, I would like to buy 3 if I could. I know it's not allowed, and you never know what you going to get. I have a feeling that we will be seeing some in the wild within a year.

Range Grade $1100. These are 1911 pistols for those that want a part of history and a shooter, not a collectable. These are 1911s that have been modified in some way, and may have some commercial parts.  No two (2) pistols are alike, the modifications / parts could be any of the following: Night Sights, extended Beaver Tail, Rubber Grips, Barrels, Oversized Slide Release, Target Triggers, Adjustable Rear Sights, Tactical Match Hammer, Competition Grip Safety, Sight Rib, Slides, Checkered Front Strap, Ambidextrous Safety, Different Finishes. Some of the manufactures of these parts are: Bar-Sto, Wilson, Ed Brown, Pachmayer, Hogue, Caspian and Bomar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighlanderI] [#21]
CMP announced round 3 and introduce new grade. Those sounds like beloved MEUSOC or Army SF improvised pistols. @ $1100, I would like to buy 3 if I could. I know it's not allowed, and you never know what you going to get. I have a feeling that we will be seeing some in the wild within a year.

Range Grade $1100. These are 1911 pistols for those that want a part of history and a shooter, not a collectable. These are 1911s that have been modified in some way, and may have some commercial parts.  No two (2) pistols are alike, the modifications / parts could be any of the following: Night Sights, extended Beaver Tail, Rubber Grips, Barrels, Oversized Slide Release, Target Triggers, Adjustable Rear Sights, Tactical Match Hammer, Competition Grip Safety, Sight Rib, Slides, Checkered Front Strap, Ambidextrous Safety, Different Finishes. Some of the manufactures of these parts are: Bar-Sto, Wilson, Ed Brown, Pachmayer, Hogue, Caspian and Bomar.
View Quote

I missed out on the first two rounds and vowed not to miss the third (sent my paperwork in this time). When the announcement came and I read the description for the Range Grade I couldn't help but imagine a crate of MEUSOC 1911's to be dolled out. I got super excited at the proposition. But the "No two (2) pistols are alike" made me wonder if there aren't many MEUSOC 1911's or none at all......but there has to be something(s) cool. Cuz; Tactical Match Hammer, Slides, Rubber Grips, Ambidextrous Safety, etc.

I've got lots of time to daydream. Reading through posts of when folks were contacted and had a 1911 at their FFL is well over a year.

Probably a bunch of Shooting Team target pistols lumped in the Range Grade category. I'd probably end up getting one of those knowing my luck. With one of those gawdy full rail Bomar sights.

Pretty sure they don't take requests when the CMP calls to offer the grades available. But I'll try ask "Range grade with a SA marked slide please."
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HighlanderI:

I missed out on the first two rounds and vowed not to miss the third (sent my paperwork in this time). When the announcement came and I read the description for the Range Grade I couldn't help but imagine a crate of MEUSOC 1911's to be dolled out. I got super excited at the proposition. But the "No two (2) pistols are alike" made me wonder if there aren't many MEUSOC 1911's or none at all......but there has to be something(s) cool. Cuz; Tactical Match Hammer, Slides, Rubber Grips, Ambidextrous Safety, etc.

I've got lots of time to daydream. Reading through posts of when folks were contacted and had a 1911 at their FFL is well over a year.

Probably a bunch of Shooting Team target pistols lumped in the Range Grade category. I'd probably end up getting one of those knowing my luck. With one of those gawdy full rail Bomar sights.

Pretty sure they don't take requests when the CMP calls to offer the grades available. But I'll try ask "Range grade with a SA marked slide please."
View Quote

I've never seen a Bomar full rail sight on an army shooting team 1911A1.  You should be gtg.  I also think the MESOC pistols won't be released to the CMP.  

Regards
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Joescuba:

I've never seen a Bomar full rail sight on an army shooting team 1911A1.  You should be gtg.  I also think the MESOC pistols won't be released to the CMP.  

Regards
View Quote

Good info on the Bomar. But not so much on the MEUSOC. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#24]
Originally Posted By Joescuba:

Regards
View Quote
A member in another thread pointed out that you can search completed auctions for "range grade".  If that's representative of the current range grades it would be a bit of a gamble.  They varied in modifications and some definitely appeared to have done by police departments and not the military.  So I assume 1033 program guns that were returned?

There were a couple of interesting examples like this though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. A big gamble.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Helped the armorer load all of them up to ship to the Battalion armory last week. At least at my company, the M45A1 is completely gone now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By X2117:
Helped the armorer load all of them up to ship to the Battalion armory last week. At least at my company, the M45A1 is completely gone now.
View Quote

How's everyone liking that?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#28]
We shot the Marine Corps pistol qual with the M18 last month. The sights are blocky, the rear sight place comes loose if the armorer didn't blue Loctite it, and no one ordered holsters to accept X300s... but it's a pistol that goes bang. Most guys in my unit are fairly agnostic about what they shoot and I don't think they really cared one way or another. It cracks me up that the M18 has a frame safety, but it's the Marine Corps, so I should have expected nothing less.

Personally, I really liked the M45A1, but I grew up shooting 1911's, shot single stack in USPSA, and carry a 2011, so the platform was pretty familiar to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#29]
Added the Videki's Speed Trigger to the parts pile today.  If anyone has other early MEUSOC build parts they'd let go with please let me know.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Brownell's has the Pachmayr 45C Combat grips back in stock,
Just an FYI. Just got a pair.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Stumbled across this old auction for a prototype USMC Colt that I don't think was posted yet And thought it was relevant to this thread.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/74/1464/prototype-colt-ousmc-marine-corps-pistol-wcase-letter
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Stumbled across this old auction for a prototype USMC Colt that I don't think was posted yet And thought it was relevant to this thread.

https://cdn.rockislandauction.com/dev_cdn/74/1464.jpg

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/74/1464/prototype-colt-ousmc-marine-corps-pistol-wcase-letter
View Quote

Interesting one. That lead to the development of M45A1, unfortunately also a short service life with Marines.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Went way over it's estimated price as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It's also interesting in a way that Colt submitted that one with S70 mechanism, but later S80 firing pin safety was added to final design of M45A1. I guess that's Marines decision to have that extra safety feature.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]
The lack of a radius on the slide was always neat to me as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
My question is this: what is the proper finish for these and what finish is applied to the barrel? The black barrel hood just sets it off for me and I want to get it done on this loaded.
View Quote

I am assuming that PWS uses some sort of oxide finish to blacken barrels and other stainless steel parts?  

https://caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener.html

I am wondering is anyone has tried oxide blackening products like these from Caswell or if there are recommendations for at home finishing.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HoosierWick:

I am assuming that PWS uses some sort of oxide finish to blacken barrels and other stainless steel parts?  

https://caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener.html

I am wondering is anyone has tried oxide blackening products like these from Caswell or if there are recommendations for at home finishing.

Thanks!
View Quote

Everything I've read about the Caswell plating product has been positive. I have some on hand that I ordered months ago, but haven't used it yet. I'm hoping to get to it this winter. Indoor projects for me are back on the schedule.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I used Caswell SS blackener on a few stainless steel parts. It will require a few application to get the the black finish. But not all the SS parts are made the same, some with low carbon content will not produce dark grey or blacken well. If you decide to try, make sure you degrease parts first.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#39]
Getting ready to order a Bar-Sto barrel and I have a question about the "Integral Ramped or non Ramped" option.  How did the original MEUSOC's come?  If ramped Bar-Sto shows Para/Clark or Wilson/Nowlin for options.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Getting ready to order a Bar-Sto barrel and I have a question about the "Integral Ramped or non Ramped" option.  How did the original MEUSOC's come?  If ramped Bar-Sto shows Para/Clark or Wilson/Nowlin for options.  Thoughts?
View Quote
They should be traditional non-ramped.  I have read from several sources that they were the semi-drop-in models also.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Ordering direct from Bar-Sto? Or vendor? I wasn't happy with the performance of my springer barrel/bushing in my tribute gun and I've contemplated getting a Bar-Sto barrel myself. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Ordering direct from Bar-Sto? Or vendor? I wasn't happy with the performance of my springer barrel/bushing in my tribute gun and I've contemplated getting a Bar-Sto barrel myself. Thanks.
View All Quotes

Yes, I was planning on ordering direct through Bar-Sto
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Yes, I was planning on ordering direct through Bar-Sto
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squirrel_Cop] [#44]
Looks like some MEU Safariland holsters may become available from whatever ebay dealer buys this lot.  I cant think of anyone else who would have that type of holster for a 1911 with a light.

govplanet.com auction

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#45]
Originally Posted By Squirrel_Cop:
Looks like some MEU Safariland holsters may become available from whatever ebay dealer buys this lot.  I cant think of anyone else who would have that type of holster for a 1911 with a light.

govplanet.com auction

https://cdn.ironpla.net/i/12012/125/12012125_1_0_0001.jpg
View Quote

Those hit the market pretty frequently. I think I bought one earlier this year for $90.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Those hit the market pretty frequently. I think I bought one earlier this year for $90.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Originally Posted By Squirrel_Cop:

govplanet.com auction

https://cdn.ironpla.net/i/12012/125/12012125_1_0_0001.jpg

1911s are the only gun I really don't like SLS holsters for when drawing. I do like that they keep debris out from under the hammer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Cylinder and Slide just announced they are shutting their doors. If anyone has a build in process or planned you should probably order what parts you may need (hammer/sear/disconnectors/trigger/pin set).
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Picked up a used Springfield Loaded and doing a clone-ish later variant.

Just a quick question about the barrel.

Do I need to cerakote the barrel and bushing black or is there an at-home alternative? Like possibly Brownell's Aluma-Hyde matte black or similar product?

It's going to get a lot of heavy use (range, plinking) so it doesn't need to be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#49]
Also felt like throwing in a personal story.

In the mid 2000s I was on a 13th MEU and worked with some of the MARSOC guys. I was into 1911s so it was like a kid in a candy store.

Even during then most of the guns I came across felt like parts bin rattle-traps. You have to remember, even during this period the Marines were still huge on uniformity so it was interesting to see how there was very little consistency in parts between each gun. At the time it was a big deal for one of my infantry battalion buddies to have a personal Geissele trigger installed in his M16. After handling the MEUSOC 1911s, my M9 practically felt like a Les Baer in frame/slide fit.

Really wished I had taken pictures. One of those moments where you look at a gun as a collection of parts knowing so many pieces could tell a different story.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Is this the correct front sight for the older variants?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top