Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2009 8:53:12 PM EDT
I have recently acquired a Colt 1911 in .38 super that I'm wondering what it's worth. It's a plain jane, 100% original, "Colt Super .38 Automatic" , as it says on the slide. The s/n is 57XXX, and I bet it hasn't had a box of ammo through it in it's life. It's blue with brown checkered grips, plain sights, and the exterior is about a mid 7, low 8 out of ten. A few scratches and the bluing is worn from some of the high spots and the end of the slide. Given it's age it's in excellent condition. It has one magazine.
Any input would be appreciated. Not interested in selling.
TIA
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice retro blaster.
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's some pics...

Link Posted: 7/19/2009 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#4]
It's hard not to lust for that pistol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
"Colt Super .38 Automatic" , as it says on the slide. The s/n is 57XXX

I think you have a vintage slide on a knock-off receiver.  I don't see any Colt marks on the frame above the grips, nor do I see a Colt s/n on the frame.  If you can, post a clear, large, detailed pic of the right side of the frame visible (leave the s/n intact or if you feel the need, x out only the last digit or two and nothing else).

The problem is:

1) lack of Colt markings on frame
2) your stated s/n is not compatible with pre-war commercial Colts (should have a prefix)
3) your s/n is not compatible with a Colt military frame with those 1911a1 features (would be a 1911 frame, not an a1)

Also, the fact it has military contract grips on it means it has been altered at some point in it's life.  Unless an alloy frame, the frame/slide finish should age identically, and those are slightly different. A confusing thing is it looks like the small parts on the frame are correct to a pre-war Colt.  Seeing better angles on the MSH, trigger, and detail on the slide stop would help make sure.  So maybe it was a rebuild on a non-Colt frame for a gun that had a frame failure at some point?  Just a guess as a possible explanation, trying to come up with the simplest explanation for what you see is usually the best answer.

I bet it hasn't had a box of ammo through it in it's life.

The slide at least has had much more than that through it. The wear on the dust hood clearance cuts on the slide means that girl has been making quite a few cycles.  Commercial Colts of that vintage were usually fit tightly enough at the factory that wear like that did not occur; which is another thing that makes me think the slide is not original to the gun as a factory unit, regardless of the markings.

I would say if the gun is mechanically sound and the slide/frame and barrel are fit really well, it might be worth $500 to $600 as a shooter to someone who really wants a .38 Super.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Colt Super .38 Automatic" , as it says on the slide. The s/n is 57XXX

I think you have a vintage slide on a knock-off receiver.  I don't see any Colt marks on the frame above the grips, nor do I see a Colt s/n on the frame.  If you can, post a clear, large, detailed pic of the right side of the frame visible (leave the s/n intact or if you feel the need, x out only the last digit or two and nothing else).

The problem is:

1) lack of Colt markings on frame
2) your stated s/n is not compatible with pre-war commercial Colts (should have a prefix)
3) your s/n is not compatible with a Colt military frame with those 1911a1 features (would be a 1911 frame, not an a1)

Also, the fact it has military contract grips on it means it has been altered at some point in it's life.  Unless an alloy frame, the frame/slide finish should age identically, and those are slightly different. A confusing thing is it looks like the small parts on the frame are correct to a pre-war Colt.  Seeing better angles on the MSH, trigger, and detail on the slide stop would help make sure.  So maybe it was a rebuild on a non-Colt frame for a gun that had a frame failure at some point?  Just a guess as a possible explanation, trying to come up with the simplest explanation for what you see is usually the best answer.

I bet it hasn't had a box of ammo through it in it's life.

The slide at least has had much more than that through it. The wear on the dust hood clearance cuts on the slide means that girl has been making quite a few cycles.  Commercial Colts of that vintage were usually fit tightly enough at the factory that wear like that did not occur; which is another thing that makes me think the slide is not original to the gun as a factory unit, regardless of the markings.

I would say if the gun is mechanically sound and the slide/frame and barrel are fit really well, it might be worth $500 to $600 as a shooter to someone who really wants a .38 Super.

Thanks Oro. I appreciate the input. The frame and slide are identical in finish and color, etc...for some reason just doesn't look that way in the pics.
As for the "box of ammo in it's life"...I should re-state...it hasn't had a box of ammo through it in my life. This pistol has basically sat in my Das's night stand drawer for the last 50yrs that I know of. I'm sure he bought it used, so who knows what it's hiostory is. Sounds like it may have been around quite a while before that. The grip screws apear to have been off and on, but I know my Dad wouldn't change grips. He really wasn't a gun guy in that sense.
Here's a close up of the serial number area on the frame, and a better pic of the slide.
What Colt marks would I be looking for on the frame?

Parts and pieces:

Link Posted: 7/19/2009 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The frame and slide are identical in finish and color, etc...for some reason just doesn't look that way in the pics.

OK, those later photos look much better.  Normally I would expect to see a small one-line maker's mark and address on the frame in a small horizontal line just above the grip panel and extending over the s/n area. Also, these numbers don't match the s/n runs of a 1911a1 style frame, like that.  What I see now is this is a post-war gun and not pre-war, with the serrated MSH.  Also, I THINK they had their own s/n range independent of the Government Models in .45.  

Except for the grips, this may be a very early post-war commercial .38 Super.  I can only estimate the price, but even with wrong grips I think it should be at least $1200 and up to maybe $1800.  I am not very knowledgable about the quirks of the .38 Super guns.  If it is an IMMEDIATE post war gun, those may be the original as they may have used war-time surplus Keyes grips prior to using their "Coltwood" logo synthetic grips, which they put on most all Government model commercial guns up until the Series '70 guns came out in (of course) 1971.  Nothing is ever consistent or entirely logical with Colt.

I am sending you an email with how to get better opinions from more knowledgeable guys than me at a different forum.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Oro. I really appreciate your time and input. I responded to your email.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
according to this link.
http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html
it is a 1948 colt.
So that makes sense based on the a1 stuff on it. And the serial number falls in line.

However, having never seen another vintage 38 super, only a 1954 commercial, the serial number font bothers me. But again since they were numbered differently, might not be a big deal.

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
according to this link.
http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html
it is a 1948 colt.
So that makes sense based on the a1 stuff on it. And the serial number falls in line.

However, having never seen another vintage 38 super, only a 1954 commercial, the serial number font bothers me. But again since they were numbered differently, might not be a big deal.

Found this pic on coltautos.com...the font seems to match.

Top Top