Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 5:08:36 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new bore cleaner.  I am having a hard time getting the grit out of my rifling in my 1911 barrels.  They are a mirror shine, but for some reason I still have a little fouling in my grooves.  Not sure if it's normal or not, but it's constantly bothereing me.  I've tried Hoppe's and others and they work, but with an awful lot of scrubbing. Has anyone used Accubore Bore Cleaner. Brownell's sells it and it claims to get all the fouling out without any scrubbing.  Has anyone used this before?  Is it normal to always have a little fouling in the rifling grooves?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Accubore is good, but virtually ALL bore cleaners will need some scrubbing.

The "secret" of getting a clean bore is to allow plenty of soaking time, NOT scrubbing.
Given enough soak time, ordinary Hoppe's #9 will get a bore 100% clean.
One trick is to give the bore a good scrub with a NEW brush (brushes wear out quickly, and solvents "eat" them), then fill a small bottle with solvent, drop the barrel in and let it soak for a day or so.
Be sure to use a non-harmful solvent like Accubore or Hoppe's, NOT something like Sweet's 7.62 which CAN damage the bore if left in too long.

If you don't want to do that, scrub the bore then run a soaked patch down the bore every 30 minutes until the bore is clean of all traces of fouling.

(I buy Hoppe's #9 in quart bottles)

Another good method is to buy some JB Bore Paste from Brownell's.
This is a paste cleaner that contains a super-fine non-embedding abrasive that REALLY cleans bores out, WITHOUT damage.
This was "discovered" by the bench rest shooters years ago, who are clean fanatics.

Bottom line: Yes you can get the bore totally clean, BUT you still have to scrub, and you need soak time to allow the solvent time to work.
Solvents work until the liquid is saturated with copper, then they stop working.  Thus the need to either have a soaking bottle full of solvent, or to continually refresh it by running more patches down the bore.

Excessive scrubbing isn't needed or even advisable.  Soaking is what's needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are shooting lead, CLEANING YOUR 1911 BORE IS A WASTE OF TIME.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1221967#post1221967

and: www.schuemann.com

You can waste your time putting corrosive chemicals in the barrel, but your gun won't shoot any better. The chamber? Of course, I clean that. Have to. But the bore? Don't bother.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
TY-44934
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top