Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
Alright,
Quick question here.  If I get my Colt 70 (or SA GI) smithed and have an action/reliability  job done by a good smith, will the pistol still ding up the brass if I don't have the ejection port lowered and flared?  

For some reason, I thougt that if the action were to be adjusted and working properly, it wouldn't.

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#1]
To my understanding all 1911's with the original high walled ejection port ding the brass no mater what other mods you have done. AFAIK, lowering the port is the only way to prevent this. If I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to set the record straight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the concern over dinged brass if, if I may ask?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why the concern over dinged brass if, if I may ask?

Makes it a PITA for reloading
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Really?  How bad are the dings?  I've never had any issue with dings on my 550.  The resizing die removes most of the ding in the first stage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
really?  Cool.  I don't reload yet, but I was under the asssumption that it made reloading a pain.  I would think though that it would weaken the brass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
No, the extractor/ejector can be "tuned" to throw the empties out thru the center of the port & avoid dings.

However:

a) Dings don't hurt the ability to reload the case
b) A lowered port will be slightly more reliable (less "stovepipes")
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
really?  Cool.  I don't reload yet, but I was under the asssumption that it made reloading a pain.  I would think though that it would weaken the brass.

Not at all.  45 acp isn't a really high pressure round anyway, and the resizing die can fix some pretty bent up cases.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the good news guys!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
No matter what you get done to the ejection port, make sure the gun will eject a loaded round from the chamber with a loaded mag inserted. This is extremely important as I recenly found out when I was trained to perform malfunction clearances. Sometimes you need to get a round out of the chamber that will not fire in a hurry. My Colt would always get the loaded cartridge hung up as it was trying to get out of the port. That is why you see that small crescent cut at the front of Series 80 guns. Mine had that cut, but it was still not adequate to clear the round. In needs to have a little more metal removed. Both of my series 80 Colts did the same thing. My Springfield loaded does not have this problem. I can hand cylcle whole mag of 230gr FMJs through the gun.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
My Colt compact doesn't leave any dings on the brass. I reload so I see alot of it. My SA with a lowered and flared ejection port doesn't touch them either. What I like about the lowered flared port is that it ejects hard right at the level of the gun and back rather than u[p and forward as my Colt does...plus it looks cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top