Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:02:31 PM EDT
Hi,

I was just wondering why doesn't the Kimber Warrior have a firing pin safety? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer why, but I can say I'm glad it doesn't.  The firing pin safety is, as many here are fond of saying, a solution looking for a problem. It's not like the old 70 series firing system from Colt was rampant with AD's or ND's from lack of a FP safety. Simply that folks got nervous about how in theory, the firing pin of a "just right" dropped pistol could move forward with inertia and fire the pistol. I've still never personnaly heard (or even read) of a credible incident of this happening.
It may also have something to do with folks carrying the hammer down on a loaded chamber (an improper carrying method for a 1911, and one that has caused ND's when dropped).

The firing pin safety system used by the various manufacturers adds more parts (more things to break or malfunction) and makes it much more difficult to get a nice smooth trigger pull. If you notice in the prices, used 70 series 1911's often bring as much or more than the current series 80 weapons bring new.

Not all manufacturers do the FP safety btw.... Springfield Armory's 1911's (of which I own two) do not have this "feature". Most custom and semi custom 1911's do not have it. Neither does the Warrior, as you've pointed out.... which is in part why I went ahead and bought my Desert Warrior!

ETA, bold type in text, in case I wasn't clear

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't answer why, but I can say I'm glad it doesn't.  The firing pin safety is, as many here are fond of saying, a solution looking for a problem. It's not like the old 70 series firing system from Colt was rampant with AD's or ND's from lack of a FP safety. Simply that folks got nervous about how in theory, the firing pin of a "just right" dropped pistol could move forward with inertia and fire the pistol. I've still never personnaly heard (or even read) of a credible incident of this happening.

It may also have something to do with folks carrying the hammer down on a loaded chamber (an improper carrying method for a 1911, and one that has caused ND's when dropped).

The firing pin safety system used by the various manufacturers adds more parts (more things to break or malfunction) and makes it much more difficult to get a nice smooth trigger pull. If you notice in the prices, used 70 series 1911's often bring as much or more than the current series 80 weapons bring new.

Not all manufacturers do the FP safety btw.... Springfield Armory's 1911's (of which I own two) do not have this "feature". Most custom and semi custom 1911's do not have it. Neither does the Warrior, as you've pointed out.... which is in part why I went ahead and bought my Desert Warrior!

www.fototime.com/4C0A317B96ADC30/standard.jpg

+1 I have a Warrior only because it does not have a firing pin safety.  I also have a few other 1911.  None of them have it.  JMB put 3 safetys on the 1911 and that is all IMO it needs.  Obviously Ed brown agrees also.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So since the Warrior doesn't have a firing pin safety, it's possible the gun might go off when it's either dropped or bumped right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion, no.  In any 1911 with an even remotely functional firing pin spring, and with an intact half cock notch on the hammer, it's not going off when dropped or bumped.  At worse, the hammer will fall to half cock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In my opinion, no.  In any 1911 with an even remotely functional firing pin spring, and with an intact half cock notch on the hammer, it's not going off whne dropped or bumped.  At worse, the hammer will fall to half cock.

+1  There are Three safetys.  It must fall while you are holding the grip saftey with the slide saftey NOT engaged and then the half cocked notch would still stop it from going off.  It does not need the 4th saftey IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top