Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:37:56 PM EDT
Getting ready to purchase a few mags for my RRA Elite Commando and wondered if anyone has actual experience with these?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I also have Metalform and Wilson.
Both are serving me well.
I save my Shooting Star, McCormick and Kimber mags for the range just because my gun has had problems with these sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an SA Pro on order and it comes with five Metalforms. I just noticed that Hilton Yam suggests you get rid of the Metalforms on Ebay.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... I just noticed that Hilton Yam suggests you get rid of the Metalforms on Ebay.

Since that is coming from a guy who farms out the majority of his work I’m not sure that would actually be a qualified opinion.

Personally I like Wilson 47D and Power Mags but I guess people should buy quality and test each mag they own to see what really works.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I just noticed that Hilton Yam suggests you get rid of the Metalforms on Ebay.

Since that is coming from a guy who farms out the majority of his work I’m not sure that would actually be a qualified opinion.

Oh, I think he is MORE than qualified.

Are you saying otherwise?

Hilton has Chuck Rogers do his alot of his heavy machine work (With full credit ), but the pure hand fitting is all done by Hilton himself one at a time. Thats the work that really matters, except to a few Internet trolls with an ax to grind.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh, I think he is MORE than qualified.

Are you saying otherwise?

Hilton has Chuck Rogers do his alot of his heavy machine work (With full credit ), but the pure hand fitting is all done by Hilton himself one at a time. Thats the work that really matters, except to a few Internet trolls with an ax to grind.

No ax to grind here I’m not a customer of his or on his supposed waiting list. I’m not trying to start a fight and I admit my comment was a bit taunting but I just can’t stand the fact that Hilton’s qualified ‘cause he said so. I have to wonder how many guns he’s actually built and if he’s just not another internet type who says he’s a 1911 guru but can’t get the job done. I’m just cautious and suspicious of anyone who can condemn and convince people that an entire brand of magazine is bad or a series of guns is a poor choice for a build based on what the serial number started with especially considering that persons short tenure in the industry.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No ax to grind here I’m not a customer of his or on his supposed waiting list. I’m not trying to start a fight and I admit my comment was a bit taunting but I just can’t stand the fact that Hilton’s qualified ‘cause he said so. I have to wonder how many guns he’s actually built and if he’s just not another internet type who says he’s a 1911 guru but can’t get the job done. I’m just cautious and suspicious of anyone who can condemn and convince people that an entire brand of magazine is bad or a series of guns is a poor choice for a build based on what the serial number started with especially considering that persons short tenure in the industry.  

Maybe you should research the man before you go on the Internet and make such strange assumptions and wild statements. You really don't seem to be very educated on the man. Hilton is still building pistols, he just isn't accepting any more work becuase his backlog is so high. After waiting for a considerable ammount of time, I have a gun going in to him very soon for some work.

It seems as though Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, David Pennington, Pat Rogers, Chuck Rogers, Tim Lau, Rob Haught, etc all consider him "Qualified".  Personally, that’s good enough for me. I can also read his posts on his own forum and figure it out for myself.

If you don't mind me asking what makes YOU qualified to question his qualifications?

Did it ever occur to you that Hiltons statements might be backed up by personal experience?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Did it ever occur to you that Hiltons statements might be backed up by personal experience?

It certainly has.  I've also read with great interest some of his comments. Has it occurred to you that the guy just might not have enough time in the business to make such empirical, authoritarian statements on everything from base gun selection to the inherent comparative unreliability of any 1911 shorter than a 5" Government model?

A quick search of his posts on Dane Burns' pistolsmith.com site shows him asking some pretty pedestrian questions about fitting parts and basic function, just a few short years ago. Not exactly confidence inspiring. I'll stick to the pros.

Since the SA Pro model was the subject of the post, who would logically have more knowledge and experience - the guy who designed the gun for the FBI to meet their contract spec and has built literally hundreds of them, or a guy who's maybe handled a few? BTW, one of these guys was just voted "Pistolsmith of the Year"by the APG and he seems to think that the Metalform mags are sufficient. Guess which one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top