Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 6:27:31 PM EDT
I don't know why Springfield stopped making the Compact, but I really like the idea of a 4" barrel over a smaller Officer's sized frame.  I got one a while back from a friend and did a little work on it.  It sure would make a nice carry piece.  Just a little more work and a reblue, and it will be good to go.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
John, very nice work. I look forward to seeing it when the bluing is complete. Someday soon I hope. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
is that Novak's new extreme duty adjustable sight on the rear?  and very nice work as usual
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Charles.  My friend up here at Weapon Works does his bluing in batches.  I've been waiting 3 weeks to do it while he builds up enough work to justify running the tanks.  Hopefully it gets blued on Tuesday.  

This gun is a neat little item, but I unfortunately have no use for it, and I will be sorry to see it go.  At least it's going back to the guy I bought it from.  He asked if I would checker it.  I told him I really coudn't right now.  However, I had a spare hour yesterday with nothing to do, and I got it done real quick.  I would have liked to high cut the front strap and point it up the diamonds further, but this was a rush job freebie for a friend.  I have to admit, it's not the type of checkering I would normally do.

I think when the day comes that I retire from my job, I'll be building a nice little Caspian with a small frame and a Commander slide.  I always liked those.  Now I just have to finish another friend's gun (FROST18E).  I can't wait until that's done, it's turning out so well.  I wish I could keep it, but I'll just have to do the same to my next project gun.

By the way, do you own a digital camera?  I, along with a bunch of people from the other site, were very impressed with that Kimber you did.  I would love to see more of your work posted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
is that Novak's new extreme duty adjustable sight on the rear?  and very nice work as usual

Thanks, and yes, it's the Novak Extreme Duty.  Though I don't like the sharp corners, that would be easy enough to round off.  Otherwise, I think it's a very well made and thought out sight.  I still prefer Bo-Mars, but I ordered this sight for someone else, and ended up using it on this when he neglected to pay me.  It retrofits to existing Novak dovetails with a simple 90 degree cut just forward of a standard Novak dovetail.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
John, my wife owns a digital camera. All of that 'electronic' black box stuff is really more than an old gunsmith can bear to think of. I think she and board member 'CGJ' will eventually get me into the 20th century. I believe am still stuck in the 19th with Smedley Butler and Dan Daly.  
BTW I do 'slow' rust bluing,  also from the 19th century....
Old Jarheads....
Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Steve.  Charles, I have a bottle of Pilkington's laying around that I'll never use.  I'll be in Tucson sonner or later if you want a free bottle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good to me. First round is on me. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice work has usual Hobbs!  I really like the Compact or CCO combination.  I've got one of the Colt CCO's for a carry gun, box stock and it is a great shooter.  I really wish Springfield would bring the Compact back as it would probably fall into the $750 Loaded price range, which would be perfect.  

If we could only convince somebody to make a CCO in 10mm with good mags...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
i just sent my colt compact off for re-blueing.  

i will post pix when it returns.  

you have a very nice pistol.

-tom
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I too like that combination.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to agree on your feelings about the compact.  I would buy one in a heartbeat if it were available.

Very nice job on it btw.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe Springfield still offers the Compact, but only as a custom shop order.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought I would share some more pics.  Unfortunately my camera sucks, I suck at photography, it's a little dirty, and it's very dark.  It was just blued today, courtesy of The Weapon Works Gunsmithing:

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not in to compacts that much, but damn...very nice work.  It's cool to see that the classic style safety stayed.  Bravo-Zulu Hobbs!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I like it.  Small, dark and shoots a big, fat bullet.    Nice work John!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Great work  and a nice gun, John. Charles.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top