Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:51:49 PM EDT
I've always been a trap and skeet shooter.  My glasses have never been a problem for my target seeking.  Recently, however, I've begun to do more pistol shooting.  It's always been a plinking pastime.  I love shooting my early 1980's series 70.  But now that I'm getting more serious and considering another .45 (love the Ed Browns and Les Baers),  I've got a real problem trying to focus/site the pistol because of my progressive bifocals.  

What do you experienced shooters with lousy short and long vision do for this?  One person suggested a pair of glasses with my near-sited prescription in one lens and my far-sighted presciption in the other lens.  Is this the way to go?

Any  other suggestions?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link.  It looks like just what I was looking for.  I'm hoping my targets will have a few more 10's.  (If they don't, perhaps an Ed Brown would be a lot of $$ wasted).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll have to get a special prescription from your optometrist or opthalmologist. One for your normal distance prescription and one for the distance from your eye to the front site of the gun you intend to shoot when held in your normal shooting stance. Since the distance from your eye to the front site is a longer distance than for reading, the prescription will be weaker than your reading glasses. Call them and they'll explain the info they need.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Perfect!  I'll be calling the opthalmologist tomorrow.  Many thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure to call Hansen's first so they can explain to you exactly what information they need.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be sure to do just that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Not all Progressive Bi-focals are the same and many optometrists do not have a clue about fitting you to shooting eyeglasses. First you need to get the new better quality glass than what has been around for the last few years.  The new Ziess is the very best if you can afford it ($300 and up). As a Bi-focal guy my old (last year) prescription was not very good. This year my eye doctor recommended a new type of glass (not Ziess but almost $200 extra) and they work wonderful. Best glasses I ever had. I was so impressed I ordered prescription inserts for my ESS shooting glasses. Problem came up as inserts are closer to your eye than normal glasses and this changes your prescription. They had to reduce the power on the replacement set and now they work quite well. Lastly, I sent an email to ESS telling them about my experience and they did not understand what I was talking about. Go figure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top