Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:15 PM EDT
anyone ever bought one of these?
I am looking to build a .22 on a new frame..
I have a wilson upper kit that works very well,,
seems I can get the complete kit for 160.00 plus fees..for the base reciever set up..
http://www.sarcoinc.com/pistols-frames.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The Essex frames are OK, not great. I would not trust the Sarco frames.

I built a 1911 using an Essex frame and slide plus a Sarco parts kit. The Sarco parts are garbage, don't use them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no proof of this but I'd guess the cheap frames from Sarco are Filipino in origin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
sarco states these are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, what do you guys think about the Mitchell frame/slide and frame/slide/barrel kits they have on sarco's site?  For instance, which way would you go, let's say, if you were theoretically going to get into you first 1911.  Mitchell frame/slide/barrel filled with Ed Brown parts(or equivalent), or put a Ed Brown beavertail/hammer on a Springfield Mil-Spec?

I can't find any info on Mitchell, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd get the Springfield and modify it to my tastes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, what do you guys think about the Mitchell frame/slide and frame/slide/barrel kits they have on sarco's site?  For instance, which way would you go, let's say, if you were theoretically going to get into you first 1911.  Mitchell frame/slide/barrel filled with Ed Brown parts(or equivalent), or put a Ed Brown beavertail/hammer on a Springfield Mil-Spec?

I can't find any info on Mitchell, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them.

-Jbot

not sure, so dont quote or flame me but, beleive Mitchel went out of business in the late 80's very early 90's
at the time, COLT was it for 1911's for the most part.
I think that Colt snobbery killed them vs quality issues..springfield and Kimber had not come to fruition in those days, and a few other makers came about at the same time..dont think they had the money to challange the market..

when colt decided their stuff was golden,,that was when the market opened up to new makers getting a chance to chip at their standing..

If still available when i can, I am thinking I will get one of the kits for 250+- and build my own for grins..

I guess I am going to risk the sarco kit next month,, will post when i get it together..
my thinking if an american made frame, of decent quality,,has to last as long as any 250.00 22 on the market..
should be able to take the abuse of a 22.
my wilson slide, ne ciener, hopefully will last a long time..

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually I think Mitchell was just another low quality clone that failed due to poor quality like Fed Ord, Crown City and AMT.  

With regard to building a parts gun, I would think you'd be happier with your overall results if you went with a Caspian frame and slide or probably even Essex parts.

Somebody on another board says the Sarco frames are actually Essex frames.  If that's true, they are probably okay.  Essex parts are much better than they were a few years back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, on Sarco's site they have "Mitchell M95" frames, a "JPE 1911"(In the white), some "Essex" frames and the dubious "A top quality U.S. made 1911 frame"...

Now that last one is strange...what, no manufacturer? I would stick with the Essex, although I'm really intrigued with the Mitchell's.  DouglasMorris...let me know how it all goes.

I think that I may end up with Melvin's suggestion and go with Caspian.  Not too pricey, considering what you get, and you can have it factory built the way you want it, hand lapped and ready to assemble.  Nice.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Mitchell is building 1911s again.  Or at least they're advertising them in the gun rags.  I don't know who's really building them or whose parts they're using, and I have no idea whether Sarco's selling the Old Incarnation Mitchell frames or the New Incarnation.... if pushed, I'd say the former.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
well, dont know the age of you fellows..
but,,
being over 50 and maybe, if lucky, having another 30 years or so to be able to shoot..or atleast remembering what a gun is for...
if I can shoot any frame enough to do it any damage in that amount of time...which would be one of 10 or 12 handguns..
I believe I will be too tired to care...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top