Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:44 PM EDT
I have 2 8rd WC mags, and they won't drop free from my Springfield TRP. They work fine in my SA WWII GI 1911.

How are ChipMc mags?

Any other makers I should consider?

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out. It WAS the mag release after all. I had discounted it since it didn't appear to be protruding into the magwell, and since there were no marks on the mag itself.

I swapped it out with an extra I had lying around, and VOILA! No more sticky mags! Of course the only problem now is that I have a black mag release on a SS gun, but it looks ok, and matches the VZ grips.

Thanks for the input. Now I'm off to buy 4 more WC mags...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
bump for info
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd send the gun and mags to Springfield and see what they think.   Sounds like something is amiss with the pistol.   WC mags drop fine in all 3 of my 1911s.  Call SA customer service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd send the gun and mags to Springfield and see what they think. Sounds like something is amiss with the pistol. WC mags drop fine in all 3 of my 1911s. Call SA customer service.

+1 a pistol problem not a mag problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Several things to check........binding mag catch, out of spec disconnector or faulty sear spring.  All three "indrude" into the mag well at some point.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well here's the deal: The factory MecGar 7rd mags that came with the gun work fine. They drop free and don't bind at all. Wouldn't SA just say it was a problem with the WC mags? I've tried other WC mags as well, and they stick in my gun too.

EDIT: I'm on the phone with SA right now...They're saying what I thought they'd say. Their mags work fine, so they don't see why they should "fix" the problem. They told me I could send it in and they will look at it, but I'd have to pay shipping.
Overall she was pretty annoyed that I'd ask a question like that, and said that their offering to look at it was "going above and beyond".

I see where they're coming from, but conversely WC told me it was a magwell problem, and SA tells me it's a mag problem. Is there a measurement I can take on the inside of the well and for the thickness of the mag to determine what the issue is?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My TRP works fine with both Wilson and McCormick mags. If you have dial calipers, you could check the dimensions of your mags easily enough.

I've had the odd mag not drop free before. I think I may even have a Wilson so marked at home and set aside. I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
are they brand new mags?

I had a problem with one or two of them sticking in the well with my Les Baer TRS. It turns out that in the course of training, I occasionally dumped them to the deck with a round or two in them. This caused the feed lips to spread just enough to bind in the mag well. Gave them a squeeze and they were back to normal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It sounds goofy but loosen your grip screws and see what happens.   You might have a screw that's going a bit deep.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If you bought a Ford Pickup that came with Firestone rubber on it , and you swapped for Dunlops
and got a Flat , would you Bitch to Ford about it?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It sounds goofy but loosen your grip screws and see what happens.   You might have a screw that's going a bit deep.  

Not goofy at all!   I've seen it happen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
You seem pretty sure its the magwell that is causing this.  Are you sure it isn't the mag catch?  Those often will prevent a mag from dropping free.  They are also fairly cheap.  You might just want to use this as an excuse to buy one of the slightly extended tactical ones from Brown or Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a SA Operator, and I do run Wilson 8 rounders.  when it was bran new, the empty mags would not drop free.
I found that the mag catch is still touching the mag body when it is fully retracted and the finish on the mag catch was just rough enough to hold the mag up.  I started out by just puting a drop of Miltech into the mag catch.  it broke-in in about a month and is now functions smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump cuz I fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd call SA and see if they will send you a new appropriately finished part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top