Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:44:54 AM EDT
I just received a new recoil spring (Wolff) for my Series 70 Gold Cup. This is stock (16 lb.) weight. The length is longer than the spring it is replacing by an inch. Does this indicate that the spring it is replacing was too short or modified or that the new spring needs to be shortened ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf uses a combo of wire thickness (gauge) and lengths to come up with the over all tension of the spring, ie the 24lb spring is shorter than the 22lb spring since the later uses thicker gauge wire.

Also, your old spring has taken a set or shortened threw wearing out.

Bottom line is if the spring is labeled 16lbs, it's 16lbs and you don't clip it unless you want to lower the tension.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wolf uses a combo of wire thickness (gauge) and lengths to come up with the over all tension of the spring, ie the 24lb spring is shorter than the 22lb spring since the later uses thicker gauge wire.

Also, your old spring has taken a set or shortened threw wearing out.

Bottom line is if the spring is labeled 16lbs, it's 16lbs and you don't clip it unless you want to lower the tension.

Thanks ! That is pretty much what I had thought after reading a FAQ on the Wolff site. I just wanted to be sure so I double-checked here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top