Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:08:31 AM EDT
Does my Springfield MC Operator also have MIM parts, like my basic loaded model?
If so, then other than the extractor, what other MIM parts need to be replaced (versus just could be replaced?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
    Nothing really NEEDS to be replaced, but if you would like to know what is MIM in your gun, I think near every piece inside is MIM, that would be, firing pin stop,sear,disconecctor,ejector,thumb and grip safety,mag catch,barrel bushing. Like I said, near every piece in it is MIM.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think SGB had a post which listed which guns had MIM parts.  Maybe he could shead some light?
SGB your knowledge has been requested...

BTW, I have MIM parts on my Kimber TLEII that I have not replaced.  No problems so far.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My TRP has a MIM hammer and MIM firing pin stop for sure as those have the little moulding circles.  Things have worked fine for the few rounds I've put through it so far, however at some point I'm going to swap some Wilson Combat parts into it...  Thats just my personal preference.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=21736 by hobbs5624

Springfield Armory:

-firing pin stop
-barrel bushing (not sure on this one, just read it)
-recoil spring guide and plug (not sure on this, just read it, and actually doubt it)
-extractor
-ejector
-hammer
-sear
-disconnector
-thumb safety
-grip safety
-mainspring housing (not sure on this, just read it)
-mag release
-slide stop

To my knowlege only the PRO has no MIM

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  My Springfield MC Operator runs just fine, no problems whatsoever, so I'm not going to replace anything.  The Springfield Loaded, on the other hand, needs a new Wilson Bulletproof extractor, at a minimum (how easy is this to tune on my own?).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I own a MC Operator and I ended up replacing a lot of stuff that really didn't need replacing.  My extractor was fine, but based on a lot of comments here, that was the one piece I didn't want to risk going bad at the wrong time and its the one part that is universally criticized.  I also replaced the slide stop as it just wasn't doing its job and since it was MIM, I figured replacing it wasn't a bad idea.

Next, I went overboard.  I had purchased a bunch of parts for a custom build I was having done.  Before I sent them off for the build, I looked at the C&S match internal components.  They claimed to be "drop in" for a 3.5# trigger pull.  I figured I'd just see if they really did drop in.  Well, they did and the trigger pull was so much improved that I left them in and ordered a new set for the build.  When I placed that order, I figured I may as well get a new firing pin stop while I was at it.  

I left the mag catch as that isn't a high stress part.  I don't see any evidence that the bushing is MIM so I left that as well.  The ejector is MIM, but its glued in so I didn't mess with it.  I replaced the safety, but the part I replaced it with is also MIM.  Its a Kimber that I prefer due to the dovetail hammer pin instead of the tab under the grip.

Oh yeah... I also installed a S&A magwell mainspring housing.

yes, I got out of hand with mine and replaced a bunch of stuff that really didn't need to be replaced.  I don't regret it, but if I were here to dispense advise, I'd say do the extractor and maybe the slide stop and you'll likely never have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does my Springfield MC Operator also have MIM parts, like my basic loaded model?

Yes. Your MC Operator has more in common with a Loaded, than a PRO with rail, or any of the other Custom Shop guns which do not use MIM.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The 3 parts I would recommend changing are the safety, extractor, and slide stop. The other parts can be changed when they wear out. The extractor is one of those parts that if not set properly or stays set can cause mucho cussing and stress trying to fix problems with extraction and even feeding. I have personally seen broken MIM safeties when it was swiped off quickly in a range situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top