Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 6:19:11 PM EDT
has anyone ever tried to tighten the fit of their 1911 by peenig the receiver?
or any other ideas that are fairly easy to accomplish, with out welding or any of that stuff....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Hobbs is correct.

I have a Colt Special Combat that has a pretty loose slide to frame fit (it rattles), but the barrel hood, lugs, and link are all done right = snug fit.  The barrel bushing is easily turned w/o a wrench.

This gun does 2" at 25 yds all day long with 230 grn Hydrashocks, and 3" with my 170+ PF reloads (230 grn Montana Gold over 4.4 grains of Bullseye using mixed brass and a WLP primer).

I like the feel of a 1911 w/o play in the slide to frame fit (my 1.5" guarantee Baer is simply superb in this area, tight would be the wrong word - it has NO play, yet it's silky smooth).

Having said this, I'm more than OK with merely 1 MOG (minute of goblin) accuracy at 25 yds, which I define as 6" groups.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
good info gents,

I will definitly goe the match bushing route first and check the groups.   that was my next step on this gun anyways.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Might I also add:  When I bought my Springfield 1911, the slide was tight... very tight.  Here we are a couple thousand rounds later, it's loosened up lots to where you can really wiggle the slide.  I think it shoots a little better than it used to, and I'd say a little more reliable too.  I'm sure everything else breaking in helped that as well.  But I can't help but think having a slide that was ultra tight would be a reliability issue.  

Just a couple cents from me.

Gundraw

P.S. Might I ask, what kind of groups are you getting now?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
" But I can't help but think having a slide that was ultra tight would be a reliability issue. "

It is a problem.  In matches you can get an alibi.
In real life they are rarely granted.

At the top levels of bullseye a tight slide is nearly a requirement.  You need every last bit of accuracy you can get from the equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top