Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2017 4:44:57 PM EDT
I have a 9mm Colt Commander I am looking to put a Comp on. It is a new production Colt. It looks like there are 2 routes I can go:

- Add a bushing mounted compensator
or
- Buy a Threaded Barrel and a threaded comp

Anyone have experience with muzzle brakes or comps on their 1911s? Any suggestions or advice? Any recommendations? I know you don't need a compensator for 9mm, but I have a reason, I am trying to cut recoil as much as possible. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I helped a good friend build a lot of USPSA comp pistols, and we looked at a lot of comp designs, though most were for 38super and later 9x25 which provided more expanding gas to make the comps work... the bushing comps don't work..a threaded barrel is your best option, and if you look at Brownell's and other manufacturers a suitable barrel/comp can be put together for your project...there is a point of diminishing returns concerning reliability when the comp gets longer than 3 ports, unless suitably supported by a full length guide rod that helps keep the barrel from dropping... I'd keep the overall length to around 2" and with 3 holes around 3/8"... for a "one off" a  3/8" bullet exit hole (.375 - .356 = .019/2 = .009 clearance)  is probably your best bet, but if you have access to a reamer that pilots in the barrel, then the tolerance can be tightened up a tad... you may want to machine a clearance on the rear of the comp for the bushing if you want to have a neat looking installation

a reverse loading recoil spring plug is the best option... remove the material at the rear of the spring tunnel in the slide, so the plug can be loaded from there... a captured spring system using a full length guide rod should be made... lock the slide back, mark the rod just in front of the bushing to drill a small hole in the rod so that a "L" shaped wire can be inserted, release the slide which will catch the wire... remove the slide and the recoil system can be removed, and then the barrel.. good luck
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How come? Not that you need a reason, I'm just curious what you got going on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't want the bushing "comp".  It's useless.  You want the barrel and screw on compensator version.  There are two types of these.  There's a version that still uses a standard bushing on the barrel and a tapered cone version that does not require a bushing.  The tapered cone version needs a guide rod while the bushing version can make do without one.  Mine all use a bushing but I still run a guide rod setup.  Mine are old and only have one port and that will make a surprising difference so a more modern design will really surprise you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How come? Not that you need a reason, I'm just curious what you got going on.
View Quote
I'm just going through a minimizing recoil as much as possible phase. Obviously a suppressed 22lr would get me there, but I want to minimize recoil in a service caliber. The reason I want to minimize recoil as much as possible in a service caliber? It is all about fast and super accurate follow up shots; I want the gun to move as little as possible in between shots. I could simply buy a race gun, but I want it in a carry package. The 1911 grip[ angle is perfect for me. It points so natural for me. Whenever I raise up a pistol with a 1911 grip angle, it is naturally right on target for me. That is simply not true with a Glock. That's why I'm not just buying a KKM barrel with a Comp for my Glock 19. They don't point that well for me. Plus most polymer guns are too light, even with a comp, and will still recoil pretty good. An all steel 1911 9mm Commander is heavier, and with a comp, still totally able to be carried. It seems I also shoot 9mm 1911s very well.

My FN Five-seveN does all of this very well, and has mild recoil without an aids. I want a gun in 9mm that has about the same recoil. So I am looking to reduce the recoil by 40% or so. I'm think a 1911 9mm commander is the right platform for me to do this.

So that's what I'm thinking :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I gotcha. That's one reason why I like full size 1911s. I can shoot them so well. Shooting 3gun or uspsa really showed me how well I shoot them at speed with multiple targets.

I've never shot a hand gun with a true compensator so I would go with the advice above. I know that the ones that fit as bushings don't do squat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gotcha. That's one reason why I like full size 1911s. I can shoot them so well. Shooting 3gun or uspsa really showed me how well I shoot them at speed with multiple targets.

I've never shot a hand gun with a true compensator so I would go with the advice above. I know that the ones that fit as bushings don't do squat.
View Quote
OP HERE:

I recently shot a CZ Czechmate Parrot. The compensator is so amazing that the pistol does NOT move a drop in between shots. Less recoil than a 22lr pistol. However, it is as loud as some rifles and the upward blast from the comp blows pieces of the ceiling tile down at the indoor range. It looks like it is snowing when you shoot it!

That is 5 rounds at 10 Yards offhand. Wally World Federal Brass 115gr value pack ammo. This was the first group I shot and have never handled the gun before.

Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
You only have one option.

replace barrel with threaded for comp

Look at the EGW Jim Hand comp.  I use that comp on my 9mm major set up.

Have a USPSA gunsmith do the work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You might find this article of interest: effectiveness of compensator types
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You only have one option.

replace barrel with threaded for comp

Look at the EGW Jim Hand comp.  I use that comp on my 9mm major set up.

Have a USPSA gunsmith do the work.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might find this article of interest: effectiveness of compensator types
View Quote
This is great. Very surprising results on the Wilson Bushing Comp! Too bad it is only for 5" Government models. I am looking for one for my Commander. I'm guessing the issue is that the compensator won't clear the frame when the slide goes back. Thanks!

UPDATED:
Actually I watched some videos about the Wilson comp, I can't see any reason it won't fit a Commander sized 1911. There is plenty of room for the comp to clear the frame. What is the issue? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
email and ask.
My guess maybe barrel strike during recoil due to barrel tilt being greater on a commander than a govt model.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
email and ask.
My guess maybe barrel strike during recoil due to barrel tilt being greater on a commander than a govt model.
View Quote
Nope. The barrel axis is parallel with the slide during recoil on a 1911.  The barrel tilts only when locked in battery.

Ask Wilson, but you might be able to just shorten the part of the bushing that enters the slide, to make it more like the commander version.  Check with Wilson for the right answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nope. The barrel axis is parallel with the slide during recoil on a 1911.  The barrel tilts only when locked in battery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
email and ask.
The breach tilts down to clear the locking lugs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
email and ask.
View Quote
I did! Here is what they said. Unfortunately it quite make sense to me. Can someone explain?

"This will work on a Commander. The part of the compensator that inserts into the slide needs to be cut back to the length of your Commander bushing so it will not crash on the barrel chamber."
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
In a 1911, the barrel breach tilts up at an angle when it locks into battery. That's why the inside of the bushing has to be relieved inside to allow the barrel to tilt up without binding on the bushing to prevent barrel 'springing'.

During recoil, the barrel unlocks and is pulled down by the link to lie on the frame bed. At this point the barrel axis is parallel with the frame and slide.

http://www.egwguns.com/bushing-faq

Bores

Straight Bore
A straight bored bushing is common and found in most stock firearms which use a bushing. The problem with this design is that the barrel locks up on an angle so you have a cylinder forcing its way up and down inside of a concentric circle resulting in wear and tear on the bore of the bushing. The disadvantage is the contact area is so small resulting in rapid wear. This design is fine for stock bushings which have maximum clearance from the barrel and slide resulting in a fairly loose sloppy fit.

Angle Bore
We have custom ground fixtures that hold the bushing at the angle of lock up when we bore to your selected size. This allows optimal contact with the barrel reducing wear and improving accuracy. By boring on the angle of lock up, we prevent accuracy robbing flex in the barrel often found in tight bushing setups. The bottom back is relieved for smooth bind free operation. This process is unique to EGW.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#16]
HarrishMasher, See the pictures at this link: bushings

Note that the commander bushing is 'short' compared to the government bushing.  The Wilson Multi-Comp is made for a Government Model, and the part that goes into the slide is long.  You can cut off part of that to make it short for the Commander. You will have to cut it for a Commander or it will damage the gun on the first shot.

A gunsmith can assist you.  Maybe Wilson would cut one for you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have experience with muzzle brakes or comps on their 1911s? Any suggestions or advice? Any recommendations? I know you don't need a compensator for 9mm, but I have a reason, I am trying to cut recoil as much as possible. Thanks!
View Quote
Go threaded barrel.  Most bushing comps that are available have inadequate barrel/bushing tolerances and will adversely effect the accuracy of the pistol.  Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
HarrishMasher, See the pictures at this link: bushings

Note that the commander bushing is 'short' compared to the government bushing.  The Wilson Multi-Comp is made for a Government Model, and the part that goes into the slide is long.  You can cut off part of that to make it short for the Commander. You will have to cut it for a Commander or it will damage the gun on the first shot.

A gunsmith can assist you.  Maybe Wilson would cut one for you.
View Quote
Thanks for this, now it makes sense! I appreciated the technical discussion above, but since my 1911 knowledge is weak, I struggled. This explanation is perfect for me!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go threaded barrel.  Most bushing comps that are available have inadequate barrel/bushing tolerances and will adversely effect the accuracy of the pistol.  Been there, done that.
View Quote
I was thinking I would have to go that way. But I was really surprised when i read the results of this test. The Wilson Bushing Comp makes a huge difference in 9mm. But as you say, if the fit isn't perfect, it's not going to work out too well!

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/reducing-recoil-traditional-vs-bushing-compensators/
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#20]
OP HERE

So I emailed Wilson to find out if it would fit the Commander and they said it had to be cut back. I asked if they could do it. They said yes! For $25. So it is on its way to be cut, and sent on to me! I will let you know how it works out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]

If I'm shooting the fast/light, say 135gr (10mm), the comp works very well, and has a weird "push-down".  Took a little getting used to, but it's quick back on target.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I would go with a one or two port threaded comp for what you are looking for. Shooting even +p 9mm won't have enough pressure to make the longer open gun style comps worth the trade off in added length.

If you do go with the threaded barrel option have a legit 1911 smith do the work. Its super easy to fuck up a 1911. Everyone and their brother will tell you they can "build" a 1911. If you are wanting to actually carry this gun and potentially bet your life on it then be prepared to spend some money. Whenever you start adding shit like comps, shorter slides and 9mm mags to the 1911 the complexity for making it reliable increases. Its not something you just drop in a part and go.

If I was going to do your project on a Commander I already own I would assume it would cost $1000ish for parts and a smith I would trust to do the work. I've shot a lot of 9mm through full size 1911's, some through a Commander and some through full blown Open guns. I can shoot .15 splits with all of them equally. The comp guns just move a tiny bit less and are not as reliable. There really isn't a lot to gain going down the path you are but if thats what you are into go for it and see what you think based on experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top