Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2017 12:49:46 PM EDT
I have fallen in love with the 1911 platform again and now that I've gotten some pretty solid trigger time on it, I would like to pick up a 4" for AIWB carry. Looking at alloy frames due to the lighter weight.

My current choice would be a SA LW champion operator. Is there any others to consisted? Would like to stay under $800-$900 if possible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield LW Champion Operator was my first 1911.  I was so attracted to that gun I just had to have it.  I didn't necessarily want a .45, or a thin gun, or a 1911 pattern gun, or anything. I just wanted that gun.  
I was not disappointed.  It friggin ruined me on handguns.  I shot that gun so much better than other handguns I had, or had tried. I decided that every gun should be a 1911 in .45 after that.
I ended up selling it at some point for one reason or another and kept my true commander sized gun (4 1/4" bbl) instead.  But, the bull barrel in that LW Operator did actually help in keeping the muzzle down, I just hated taking it apart. That's why I stuck with a traditional bushing'd gun.

In retrospect, should have just kept that LW Champion Operator.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind the difference between an all steel commander and an alloy-framed commander is about 3.5 ounces. Not really much difference all. Plus you get quite a bit of recoil with a 45acp lightweight gun.

I just picked up a brand new Colt Commander LW in 9mm. I really love this gun! I put 160 rounds through it when I picked it up last week. I also really like the polished blue finish on the flats of the slide. If you get the all steel version, it has polished blue finish on the flats of the frame as well.

Here is one of the first few groups I shot with the basic 115gr Federal Brass ammo I buy lots of at Walmart:

Here is a group I fired with Federal 124gr HST, my carry load. That's 10 rounds in the target below! 8 rounds in that little cluster in the center. Accurate enough for you? I can't do that with 45acp because of the much stronger recoil. It would take me a lot longer to shoot a group like that with 45acp.

Aside from the nice polished blue finish, another major of the reason I went with Colt over Springfield or Kimber are the quality of the parts Colt uses. Only 4 parts on the Colt are MIM. The less expensive Kimber and Springfield's are chock full of MIM parts. Actually nothing wrong with MIM parts if they are made well. But MIM parts on 1911s seem to be hit or miss based on who makes them or where they are sourced. If figure the less MIM parts the less chances I am taking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to chime in on the side of the LW Champion Operator. Love that gun. Recoil is pretty much a non-issue. Can't comment as far as appendix carry since I'm not a fan but I do IWB.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I would either go with the Colt or the Springfield lightweight champion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I just ordered a Wilson Combat Protector Professional in alloy frame without the light rail in 9mm.

I have several 5” 1911s in .45 but wanted something different.

Wait time is around 3-4 months right now and you can order it exactly the way you want down to the grip screws.

It’s my first journey into the custom (semi) world though I’ve had several modifications done to my other guns.

Likely not my last as I’m considering a full custom build as a retirement gift in 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I like everything about the RO compact except the takedown procedure of a reverse plug.   I have figured out how to pull the recoil spring assembly w/o the clip, and it’s a pretty cool trick.

Mine has been a solid performer, I did have to use the warranty early on.  Mine would not shoot anywhere near POA, springer paid shipping, made some tweak that put POI and POA where they should be and really cleaned up the trigger to remove a lot of creep in it.

I’m not messing with it at all at this point.  Put some VZs on and a little grip tape.  It runs 100%, so I can’t improve on that, and the funky recoil spring assembly does its job well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
why a rail on inside the waistband?

seems like thats additional mass you don't need.  I vote dan wesson guardian or springer compact.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Very impressive shooting. Damned good looking pistol.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind the difference between an all steel commander and an alloy-framed commander is about 3.5 ounces. Not really much difference all. Plus you get quite a bit of recoil with a 45acp lightweight gun.

I just picked up a brand new Colt Commander LW in 9mm. I really love this gun! I put 160 rounds through it when I picked it up last week. I also really like the polished blue finish on the flats of the slide. If you get the all steel version, it has polished blue finish on the flats of the frame as well.

Here is one of the first few groups I shot with the basic 115gr Federal Brass ammo I buy lots of at Walmart:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4462/37937992861_259da4b773_b.jpg

Here is a group I fired with Federal 124gr HST, my carry load. That's 10 rounds in the target below! 8 rounds in that little cluster in the center. Accurate enough for you? I can't do that with 45acp because of the much stronger recoil. It take me a lot longer to shoot a group like that with 45acp.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4502/37228794314_67412b0cf2_b.jpg

Aside from the nice polished blue finish, another major of the reason I went with Colt over Springfield or Kimber are teh quality of the parts. Only 4 parts on the Colt are MIM. The less expensive Kimber and Springfield's are chock full of MIM parts. Actually nothing wrong with MIM parts if they are made well. But MIM parts on 1911s seem to be hit or miss based on who makes them or where they are sourced. If figure the less MIM parts the less chances I am taking.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think anyone else makes anything close to your price range with the features you want........

I've had good luck with my antique Springfield loaded and from what i've seen "most" other people do to.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
why a rail on inside the waistband?

seems like thats additional mass you don't need.  I vote dan wesson guardian or springer compact.
View Quote
Weapon mounted lights have gotten really small these days.  The Surefire XC1 and Streamlight TLR6 don't add any real bulk to the gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Dan Wesson CCO is good, but it's not in your price range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Weapon mounted lights have gotten really small these days.  The Surefire XC1 and Streamlight TLR6 don't add any real bulk to the gun.
View Quote
He wasn't referring to the light. He was referring to the extra mass for the rails on the frame to accommodate the light. I guess if you don't think adding a small light adds bulk, you certainly won't think the extra mass on the frame is an issue :)

I tend to try to keep my carry guns as light and un-bulky as possible. If it was an IWB carry gun, I would shy away from a rail as well. I have lots of guns with rails and lots of lights to go on them. I'm not a big fan of shving them down my pants though :) I'm just playing around here, if it works for you and makes you happy, go for it! It is nice to have the ability to add a light if you want to use it for home defense.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He wasn't referring to the light. He was referring to the extra mass for the rails on the frame to accommodate the light. I guess if you don't think adding a small light adds bulk, you certainly won't think the extra mass on the frame is an issue :)

I tend to try to keep my carry guns as light and un-bulky as possible. If it was an IWB carry gun, I would shy away from a rail as well. I have lots of guns with rails and lots of lights to go on them. I'm not a big fan of shving them down my pants though :) I'm just playing around here, if it works for you and makes you happy, go for it! It is nice to have the ability to add a light if you want to use it for home defense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know he was referring to the rail itself, but the rail is for mounting lights.  If you're not mounting a light then don't get a rail.

The lights I mentioned are no thicker than the gun,don't extend past the muzzle, and only weigh a few ounces so they're pretty inconspicuous for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
This.

I CC a 1991A1 compact in .45 ACP.

Conceals well IWB and has enough weight to still not  unpleasant to shoot.

It has enough weight to not bite but still low enough to not be a chore in a good holster and belt.

The compact 1911s all run a little more violently and an alloy frame is going to take more of a beating.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm looking at the Colt commander pretty hard right now. I like the non MiM parts and true recoil system/plug/take down.

Local shop carries Colt so I plan on stopping by Saturday to look
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt is a good choice too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Not a 4" bbl but a Colt Defender in 9mm is great 1911 carry option also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#18]
After buying my first Dan Wesson, I can't imagine ever buying a 1911 from any other manufacturer.  I'd certainly give their (extensive) line of these pistols a look.

Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.

I CC a 1991A1 compact in .45 ACP.

Conceals well IWB and has enough weight to still not  unpleasant to shoot.

It has enough weight to not bite but still low enough to not be a chore in a good holster and belt.

The compact 1911s all run a little more violently and an alloy frame is going to take more of a beating.
View Quote
Two good reason why my 1911s are 9mm :) I now have 3.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
After buying my first Dan Wesson, I can't imagine ever buying a 1911 from any other manufacturer.  I'd certainly give their (extensive) line of these pistols a look.

https://i.imgur.com/uhbmXshh.jpg
View Quote
They are great guns from what I have seen and read. I just wish they did a nice polished blue finish on the flats like Colt. That's a big attraction for me personally. I love a mirror blue finish! Colt seems to be the only one still doing it these days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have fallen in love with the 1911 platform again and now that I've gotten some pretty solid trigger time on it, I would like to pick up a 4" for AIWB carry. Looking at alloy frames due to the lighter weight.  My current choice would be a SA LW champion operator. Is there any others to consisted? Would like to stay under $800-$900 if possible.
View Quote
Not in your price range but the Colt "Wiley Clapp" is an outstanding pistol. This is mine with VZ grips. it also has the so-called "Series 70" safety system if that matters.

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Colt LW commander or WC Commander.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish I could get a Colt LW Commander with decent night sights from the factory, or Trijicon would make the HD XRs for it
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm looking at a Dan Wesson as well.  A bit more than $1K certainly, but still a great value.  I saw the reference to lightweight frames not shaving much weight and I find that a bit confusing.  The difference between an all steel Dan Wesson commander (38-40 ounces empty) and a Guardian with a LW frame (28 ounces) is 10 ounces.  Over half a pound. That's a significant weight difference.

The only thing that's bugging me right now is whether or not I need/want a bobbed grip and if a deep blue Valor in a commander model (not yet available) will make me say to heck with weight savings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I run an SA LW Champion Operator. It’s been a great gun for me. It also doubles as my night stand gun as well. It currently wears an Surefire X300 Ultra. I recently picked up a JM Custom Kydex OWB holster for it. It’s late fall/winter so I have more clothing options.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I too would like to carry a 1911 concealed.  My only 1911 thus far is a MC Operator, but a bit too big for concealed carry.  I would want a lighter 1911 with a bob cut.  I looked at the DW Guardian and most things about it I like, but I can't keep my eyes off the Wilson Combat EDC X9.  I  know it's twice as expensive and right now takes about 10 months to deliver, but it looks perfect.  Larger capacity but smaller size and less printing.  I'm on deployment now so I have time to think about it.  My wife says if I get the WC, I have to sell off a few guns.  I think it might be worth it.  I would like to carry both 4 o'clock and appendix, depending on my attire.  Damn decisions.  I'd probably be very happy with the Guardian, just have to add combat sights and maybe carry an extra magazine.  Damn you Bill Wilson for making such an appealing handgun.    I also looked at Para Black Ops Recon and Remington R1 Recon Commander double stack.  They have higher capacity, but I worry about the quality.  This would be my self defense and I don't want to compromise.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have fallen in love with the 1911 platform again and now that I've gotten some pretty solid trigger time on it, I would like to pick up a 4" for AIWB carry. Looking at alloy frames due to the lighter weight.

My current choice would be a SA LW champion operator. Is there any others to consisted? Would like to stay under $800-$900 if possible.
View Quote

I got a LW Champion Operator back in March as my Home Defense/Upstairs pistol. The rail I wasn't sure of but after a few hard bumps in the night I really appreciated the TLR-1s... so the rail is much appreciated. Finding a holster was a bit of a pain but I found an M-Tac that fits great. This is my 4th 1911 and I'd have to say it's my favorite, the LW Champion. It doesn't care for Blazer Brass or Aluminum in the accuracy department but cycles it and everything else 100%. Strangely enough it like Wolf WPA the best for accuracy in the ball/range ammo which surprised me. With the McCormick 10 round mags with the rolled feed lips and rocket wire spring makes for a nice reliable house or woods gun carry. Mine was $950 out the door and has been flawless to date.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, I too would like to carry a 1911 concealed.  My only 1911 thus far is a MC Operator, but a bit too big for concealed carry.  I would want a lighter 1911 with a bob cut.  I looked at the DW Guardian and most things about it I like, but I can't keep my eyes off the Wilson Combat EDC X9.  I  know it's twice as expensive and right now takes about 10 months to deliver, but it looks perfect.  Larger capacity but smaller size and less printing.  I'm on deployment now so I have time to think about it.  My wife says if I get the WC, I have to sell off a few guns.  I think it might be worth it.  I would like to carry both 4 o'clock and appendix, depending on my attire.  Damn decisions.  I'd probably be very happy with the Guardian, just have to add combat sights and maybe carry an extra magazine.  Damn you Bill Wilson for making such an appealing handgun.    I also looked at Para Black Ops Recon and Remington R1 Recon Commander double stack.  They have higher capacity, but I worry about the quality.  This would be my self defense and I don't want to compromise.
View Quote
I too thought I wanted a bobtail Commander. But after trying it, I didn't. A lot of folks find the gun handles very differently once that corner is cut off. If you think about it, cutting off the corner of the grip alters the much beloved 1911 grip angle. The corner really presses into your palm giving that perfect grip angle; without it you lose the whole geometry of what makes the 1911 grip angle so great. Try it first.
Top Top