Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 2:45:06 PM EDT
I was cruising around on sarcos sight and they have a 9mm conversion kit and it says it includes the correct main spring for 9mm. Why would it matter? A primer is a primer, they all need a certain amount of impact to go off.
Also I think it was on sarco I saw another mainspring that said it was for aluminum frames. Is this something to worry about? I already built a 1911 on a stealth arms aluminum frame with a regular mainspring.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit: I'll just go sit in the corner. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm has less recoil, so the slide might not have enough energy to cock the hammer when a stiffer mainspring is installed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was cruising around on sarcos sight and they have a 9mm conversion kit and it says it includes the correct main spring for 9mm. Why would it matter? A primer is a primer, they all need a certain amount of impact to go off.
Also I think it was on sarco I saw another mainspring that said it was for aluminum frames. Is this something to worry about? I already built a 1911 on a stealth arms aluminum frame with a regular mainspring.
View Quote

For someone who claims to have built a 1911 pistol your lack of understanding the operation is alarming.

At least 90% of the slide energy is controlled by the mainspring acting against the hammer and firing pin stop. This is why the selection of mainspring weight is critical, not primer impact.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Stock 45 mainspring is 22 - 23 pounds, IIRC .  9mm, 38 super, and Gold Cup 45 main springs are 18 - 19 pounds IIRC.

So you can apparently use the "weaker" spring in a 45, but a 9mm might not completely cycle with a 45 mainspring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top