Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2017 11:20:16 AM EDT
No surprise for me.  I figured it would happen sooner rather than later.

So has anyone seen one yet?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/6/15/the-keefe-report-ruger-goes-10-mm/
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, please!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Not unless they make a railed version.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad to see the 10mm catching on with more manufacturers. I'm not glad they went with a bushingless, bull-barrel design and FLGR. I'm sure it works just fine, just doesn't float my boat.

Still, the more the merrier when it comes to 10mm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad to see the 10mm catching on with more manufacturers. I'm not glad they went with a bushingless, bull-barrel design and FLGR. I'm sure it works just fine, just doesn't float my boat.

View Quote
I'm surprised by this too especially since all their other 1911's have been very traditional in length and bushing.

Maybe the heavier barrel and guide rod system helps with durability.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at getting a Sig Tacops 10mm, but may hold off to see how the Ruger fares.

I hope Ruger had the foresight to use a ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
A 10mm made in my town!?

Off to go look and to make a few phone calls to get one reserved for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't wanted another 1911 in a long time. This one has my interest.

I have been thinking about getting into the 10 mm game for a long time. This might push me over the edge.

Dang it Ruger just makes guns that I want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was looking at getting a Sig Tacops 10mm, but may hold off to see how the Ruger fares.

I hope Ruger had the foresight to use a ramped barrel.
View Quote
According to this,

The ramped barrel is coated in black nitride, helping to reduce the wear commonly associated with 10mm Auto ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm surprised by this too especially since all their other 1911's have been very traditional in length and bushing.

View Quote
The heavier barrel would slow unlock and slide speed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never owned a 1911 but I have been eyeing the Ruger since they came out with their offerings awhile back but 10mm now? I WILL be buying one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've never owned a 1911 but I have been eyeing the Ruger since they came out with their offerings awhile back but 10mm now? I WILL be buying one.
View Quote
I am in that exact same position.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The heavier barrel would slow unlock and slide speed.
View Quote
Yep, which is extremely important when firing nuclear 10mm loads.

I had to put a comp on my Glock 20 to slow the slide down.  The mag springs couldn't keep up and I was getting FTF's as a result.

Looks like Ruger did their homework on this one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had to put a comp on my Glock 20 to slow the slide down.  The mag springs couldn't keep up and I was getting FTF's as a result.

View Quote
What were you firing that caused the FTF's?

Not to derail but didn't Glock design the G20 magazines to feed correctly from all 10mm loads?

I do know that slide velocity is an actual thing because magazines are supposed to be designed to reliably feed all cartridges in whatever caliber it was made for. It's why 1911 mags will jam using some .45+P and .45 Super, and why low end mousefarts are the cause of why certain guns are called jammomatics by their owners because the user is loading below spec ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:49:06 AM EDT
[#17]
For a little over 700 with target sights, is very attractive to me.
I already have a Delta, but had this model been in a long slide. I would have whipped out my wallet fast.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not to derail but didn't Glock design the G20 magazines to feed correctly from all 10mm loads?

I do know that slide velocity is an actual thing because magazines are supposed to be designed to reliably feed all cartridges in whatever caliber it was made for. It's why 1911 mags will jam using some .45+P and .45 Super, and why low end mousefarts are the cause of why certain guns are called jammomatics by their owners because the user is loading below spec ammunition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 gr WFN cast powder coated bullet from a NOE mold.  13.2 gr AA#9, CCI 300 primer. Chronoed 1275 fps so it's hot.

It's not a bullet profile problem.  It's a slide velocity issue.  Unlike the 1911, there isn't a hammer to help slow the slide down.  IMO the G20 slide doesn't have enough mass. FTF's are well documented by many users with hot loads.  

I haven't had a single malfunction since I put the comp on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nor does the cheesy adjustable rear sight float my boat. This is clearly intended to be a "target" or "bullseye" 10mm for gun-games, not a CCW or duty piece.

Yeah, I agree.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want to shoot or hunt with real 10mm loads then shoot standard loads for practice, which are easier to find. You will want adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#21]
While I don't really have much interest in the 10mm as a whole,  it's good to see Ruger coming out with one and this one looks sharp, I like the two tone nature of it.  I've never been a big fan of 10mm in the 1911 platform, but that could be because years ago I had a trash Kimber Eclipse 10mm that was a paperweight....but I chalk that one up to that particular gun.   Ruger makes a solid 1911 and I'm alright that Ruger offers the adjustable sights, but I hate all black sights, at least put a fiber optic up front.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
My lgs got one in yesterday. $849
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I might have to check one out, after the standard Ruger recall passes first of course!!!LOL
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well-informed rumor has it that the P-90 series of Ruger handguns were originally intended to be sold as 10mm items, but Ruger changed their corporate mind, and re-made them as .45 ACP pistols.  This might explain the "overbuilt" nature of the P-90 pistols, as well as their stoutness.  
View Quote
Yes, I'm old enough to remember that back-story from waaaay back in the day.

If the introduction of the .40S&W had been delayed by only a couple of more years, Ruger would've marketed the planned 10mm P90, and then the .45 variant after that, same as  Smith did with the 5" 10mm model 1006, then adapting that platform to the .45acp afterwards (model 4506, et al). Any platform that's robust and beefy enough to handle a steady diet of real 10mm ammo, can be adapted over to a .45 version of the same size. (The reverse, however, is not true, unfortunately).

All that said, ... one good thing about Ruger's new 10mm 1911 is that if it sells well enough, it might cause Ruger to re-consider whether to offer us a 10mm P-90 in DA/SA, fixed-sight trim for duty use, CCW, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Not quite in the shut up and take my money category. But I may have to consider one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nor does the cheesy adjustable rear sight float my boat.
This is clearly intended to be a "target" or "bullseye" 10mm for gun-games, not a CCW or duty piece.

Yeah, I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor does the cheesy adjustable rear sight float my boat.
This is clearly intended to be a "target" or "bullseye" 10mm for gun-games, not a CCW or duty piece.

Yeah, I agree.
Hahahaha, I thought that ugly ass, snagtastic, piece of a rear sight was an abomination too but was hoping I wasn't the only one! However a bushingless, bull barrel doesn't bother me one bit as I've had great results with my Commander with the same barrel system. That rear sight is a deal killer for sure though! If they can make a Novak style front and rear sight equipped slide I'll get serious about one...
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Those who don't like the adjustable rear have this as an option.

Harrison Rear Sight
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I finally got to shoot a Glock 20 or 21 (can't remember whuch) a few months ago and just did not like it. My only other option at that point was the P220 or something a lot more costly like the Dan Wesson Bruin. I didn't really want to spend that much on one. This may be right up my ally! I'd like to see a light rail and a different finish. Black or FDE.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Wonder if they use a fbfp stop
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wonder if they use a fbfp stop
View Quote
Handled one at the local Cabelas... it is really, really, really rounded... to the point where the slide actually touched the hammer before the FP stop did. The hammer had parallel wear lines about a mm apart where the slide and fp stop hit the hammer.

The ejector was also fit loose... i could rotate it slightly with my finger nail with the slide back.

On a positive note,  the barrel seemed to have been fit very well.

Kinda want,  but there was enough slop on that one that i passed.  849$ price tag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Handled one at the local Cabelas... it is really, really, really rounded... to the point where the slide actually touched the hammer before the FP stop did. The hammer had parallel wear lines about a mm apart where the slide and fp stop hit the hammer.

The ejector was also fit loose... i could rotate it slightly with my finger nail with the slide back.

Kinda want,  but there was enough slop on that one that i passed.  849$ price tag.
View Quote
I noticed this on my ruger 45 also.   Curious if it's just sloppy or if it's intentional.....

Oddly enough the ejection pattern on my example is as consistent as any 1911 i've seen. Like they would all land in a 5 gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I noticed this on my ruger 45 also.   Curious if it's just sloppy or if it's intentional.....

Oddly enough the ejection pattern on my example is as consistent as any 1911 i've seen. Like they would all land in a 5 gallon bucket.
View Quote
I don't know... I've never had one that loose function properly, but I guess it certainly could.

And mentally thinking... I was wrong above, the FP stop would hit first, then the slide... but the hammer on the gun I handled had two distinct impact marks on it from hand cycling.

Hopefully that gun was a fluke.  I really wanted to like it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the bull barrel knocks it from a 40 conversion for a cheaper USPSA singlestack gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder why. Seems like a simple way to slow the slide down.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
What engineering changes have them made if any to the frame?  I noticed it has a coned or flared out muzzle in lieu of the bushing, but how is the recoil spring guide retained?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What engineering changes have them made if any to the frame?  I noticed it has a coned or flared out muzzle in lieu of the bushing, but how is the recoil spring guide retained?
View Quote
I didn't look at that portion closely.... I didn't think of that.

I did see that the barrel itself is ramped, so it isn't a ramped frame.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone comment on reliability and how it groups?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm out of town right now but picking mine up when I get home Thursday. I'll report back and answer any questions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot one recently - was thinking about buying, but overall wasn't really impressed.  To be fair, Most of my 1911's are DW's so it's not really a fair comparison, but the Ruger is your typical $700 1911... I think local price was $730.  Trigger was creepy and rough, sights were cheap "bomar style", fit was so-so - all things to expect at the price point.  I didn't really notice the bull barrel affecting felt recoil, and never really cared for bull barrel 1911 and the paperclip breakdown routine.  From an asthetics pov, I didn't care for the black barrel and control parts, and the stainless finish wasn't the greatest either.  Overall the gun just felt rough in general.

Reality, for $730 it's probably a fine pistol.  Throw a Ed Brown or C&S Ignition kit in it with some trigger work, some real Bomar's, add a Wilson BP Safety and Slide Stop, better grips, and it would probably do fine. Of course now you over a grand into it, and still got that damn bull barrel  

For a bit more why not get a Razorback?  The Ruger just wasn't my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Educate me.   You like or dislike the bull barrel?  Specifically as it pertains to the 10mm.  Reasons either way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I shot one recently - was thinking about buying, but overall wasn't really impressed.  To be fair, Most of my 1911's are DW's so it's not really a fair comparison, but the Ruger is your typical $700 1911... I think local price was $730.  Trigger was creepy and rough, sights were cheap "bomar style", fit was so-so - all things to expect at the price point.  I didn't really notice the bull barrel affecting felt recoil, and never really cared for bull barrel 1911 and the paperclip breakdown routine.  From an asthetics pov, I didn't care for the black barrel and control parts, and the stainless finish wasn't the greatest either.  Overall the gun just felt rough in general.

Reality, for $730 it's probably a fine pistol.  Throw a Ed Brown or C&S Ignition kit in it with some trigger work, some real Bomar's, add a Wilson BP Safety and Slide Stop, better grips, and it would probably do fine. Of course now you over a grand into it, and still got that damn bull barrel  

For a bit more why not get a Razorback?  The Ruger just wasn't my cup of tea.
View Quote
Good luck finding actual BoMar sights. They went out of business about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Dawson Precision will sell you good quality rear adjustable sights that will fit the Bomar cut.  I bought one from them recently for a custom build on a Caspian frame and slide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I lost all interest as soon as I saw the bull barrel and FLGR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
You just answered your own question MJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top