Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
Here is a link to Springfields new custom Work list. Have to say it's absolutely pathetic looks like something Kimber would put together. Anyone that was waiting patiently for this is going to be extremely disappointed. I would recommend you contact Nighthawk Custom for the work at this point. But here the link.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CustomUpdateService-1.pdf
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch, No more front straps?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#2]
No more much of anything it seems sights and refinish or trigger work that's about it...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
That list is sad.  SACS is truly dead.  I've been a long time Springfield Armory 1911 fan, but that's over now.  

Enjoy your mediocrity Springfield.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Really short. Guess the plan is to put their good work into the "customs" they sell retail.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Most business' are doing bad these days. They have to raise prices to try too stay in business.
It's not going to help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Here it is hot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow... I really wanted work done but wasn't able to get it in before the shutdown. Now the services (most of them) aren't even offered. Don't think this is gonna work out well for SA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow that sucks. Glad I switched to Dan Wesson and nighthawk. The only Springfield pistols I have left were going to go to them for work. Guess I'll be trading them in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a shame and probably put the nail in the coffin for me getting back into 1911s.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I let them know my feelings towards this pathetic "custom shop" list on their FB. Between this and the Illinois bill they're getting bashed for, it's not a good time for Springfield. Which is unfortunate, because I love my Range Officer & RO Compact & was looking forward to eventually getting a TRP. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most business' are doing bad these days. They have to raise prices to try too stay in business.
It's not going to help.
View Quote
Springfield Armory has been making poor business decisions lately.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
That's pathetic. What happened to all the frame and slide work, fitting of parts, carry bevels etc? now it's just fitting some sights and refinishing options.

That's sucks. I'm done with SA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the guy making decisions for Colt is also making them for Springfield.
From the list , I'm guessing they want to build their Custom Shop models and do only quick turnaround work on customers guns.
Refinishing is probably done by another company for them.
Seriously Guys, Call Nighthawk and ask for Bob Reeves. He will take care of you like family.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I am sending my stuff to Wilson.

I sent an M9 and it will be here Monday.  They only had it for about a month.

Sent a Colt XSE 9mm LW a couple of weeks ago.  The email says expect three month turnaround.  I am suspecting it won't be that long.

I also considered Nighthawk.  I spoke to them.  I suspect they are first class also.  Probably will give them a try sometime.

The folks I spoke to at Wilson are good guys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am sending my stuff to Wilson.

I sent an M9 and it will be here Monday.  They only had it for about a month.

Sent a Colt XSE 9mm LW a couple of weeks ago.  The email says expect three month turnaround.  I am suspecting it won't be that long.

I also considered Nighthawk.  I spoke to them.  I suspect they are first class also.  Probably will give them a try sometime.

The folks I spoke to at Wilson are good guys.
View Quote
Nighthawk does better work than WC in my opinion. The quality is also reflected in the price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm thinking keeping my antique sa loaded waiting on sacs to open back up was a mistake

This antigun deal proves out to be true not someone i'll do business with again regardless.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow. I'm glad I got one of the last guns in before the shut down. What the fuck happened?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
If this is true we should boycott them & not purchase anything from any of the manufacturer partners from this site!
Springfield & RRA
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the guy making decisions for Colt is also making them for Springfield.
From the list , I'm guessing they want to build their Custom Shop models and do only quick turnaround work on customers guns.
Refinishing is probably done by another company for them.
Seriously Guys, Call Nighthawk and ask for Bob Reeves. He will take care of you like family.

View Quote
This is a Fact Nighthawk is top notch and Bob is the the man IMO. Best CS in the business hands down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Please tell me that the "custom work" sheet recently posted is merely an April Fool's joke posted almost a month late.

Please tell me that my five month wait for the Custom Shop to again start taking new work was not in vain.

Please tell me that the Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator 9mm that I purchased this past Black Friday with the intent of sending to the Custom Shop for the following work will still be sent to the Custom Shop for the following work:

1. Low mount Novak-style rear sight with tritium inserts
2. Dovetail front sight with tritium dot insert
3. Extended ambidextrous thumb safety
4. Reliability package
5. Standard carry bevel sharp edges of pistol
6. Machine checker front strap, 20LPI
7. Tune trigger pull to 4.5 lb; combat/duty action job
8. Black T; OD green frame, black slide
9. Springfield 2-piece magwell

Please tell me some good news.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Springfield Armory has been making poor business decisions lately.
View Quote
So I am at the NRA convention at the SA booth chatting it up with a couple of their execs, which gave me the opportunity to drop the ball on their recent "changes". First I get the classic brush off and eye roll reminiscent of "how dare you common folk question the decisions made by us industry leaders who know what we're doing." I stand my ground and after one of them walks away the other one basically gives me the run down on lost opportunities (assuming he was referring to SIG's recent military contract win) and they needed to make some internal "adjustments" to their short term strategy on product lines and marketing.

Well, let's see where this takes them from an order intake and 'loyalty of existing customer' base.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]
The external adjustments they just made to their client base probably won't help much.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Could they be doing this to clear up some of the backlog? Last I heard they were 1-2 years out, and when I ordered my 2 Springfield Professionals the wait was suppose to be 22 months and ended up taking 33 months.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#25]
LOL.  Just send your piece to Wilson Combat.  Much better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
20 years ago I handled a custom shop 1911 - a stainless matte comander. Beaver tail, target sights, flat trigger, ambi safety, target bushing, FL Guide rod, and sexy black crepe grips: $850

At the time I wanted it, but I picked up a Italian Spectre 9mm w 2 100rd mags for the same price.

It was a quality pistol. These pieces of shit they call custom now adays ....still asking a huge premium- pale in comparison to the fit and functions of those years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL.  Just send your piece to Wilson Combat.  Much better.
View Quote
Nighthawk Custom is look good too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#28]
After the shit they and RRA pulled they're both dead to me. 

Even prior to that I wasnt wasn't happy abou my money going to the state of IL. The best thing my parents ever did 27 years ago was leave that shithole state. 
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Could they be doing this to clear up some of the backlog? Last I heard they were 1-2 years out, and when I ordered my 2 Springfield Professionals the wait was suppose to be 22 months and ended up taking 33 months.
View Quote
  Well, After the CEO not only stepped on his dick but then stomped on it repeatedly and pissed off a LOT of their customers, They should have more free time to clear up any backlogs they have.

Fuck those Quisling bastards.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Are there any other custom shops that publish price lists anymore?

i hate having to reach out for quotes on simple work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
20 years ago I handled a custom shop 1911 - a stainless matte comander. Beaver tail, target sights, flat trigger, ambi safety, target bushing, FL Guide rod, and sexy black crepe grips: $850

At the time I wanted it, but I picked up a Italian Spectre 9mm w 2 100rd mags for the same price.

It was a quality pistol. These pieces of shit they call custom now adays ....still asking a huge premium- pale in comparison to the fit and functions of those years ago.
View Quote
While I agree with everything being said here....I have to disagree with the last sentence.  I have owned several custom carry's (and still own 2) one of which I took delivery of Nov. of last year.  The quality/fit/finish/function are a step above the older custom carry's I have owned.  Over time their builds seemed to get better and better.  just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, total garbage "custom shop work..." I can do half that work in my shop basement. I really wanted to bobtail the frame, 25lpi the front strap, and a frame refinish on a new and beloved 4" LW Commander that I've vetted and started carrying. Guess I'll send it to Nighthawk. Any new 1911's will be from DW it's looking like. This is the first time I've been disappointed in Springfield Armory; and I'm a long, long time fan!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are there any other custom shops that publish price lists anymore?

i hate having to reach out for quotes on simple work.
View Quote
Nighthawks was pretty painless. Had a quote the next day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#34]
That's ghey. The SA TRP has been my grail for years. I was between that and a Sig Legion when it came down to it and I FO'd on the SA. While still happy with the choice, I'll rest well knowing it was my first, last, and only SA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Always wanted a trp but I guess at this point might as well forget about old spring
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Always wanted a trp but I guess at this point might as well forget about old spring
View Quote
While new guns are out of play, used ones they won't see a penny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Someone should send a link to this thread to some Springfield Exec's to let them get a feel of how the enthusiast community feels about their lame new  business model. Nothing will show them this better though than reduced sales numbers quarter after quarter... but I digress. I've bought 5 Springfield's since I've been into 1911's. They are/were my baseline go to for a reliable 1911 without going to the boutique brands and prices. I'm not going to get rid of anything Springfield I currently have that's proven in my inventory. But I'll be damned if I ever buy or recommend Springfield to anyone else. My new go to will be Dan Wesson for sure!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Does this mean my Dave Williams era worked over mil-spec will be worth more now?...
For real though, kinda sad.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nighthawks was pretty painless. Had a quote the next day.
View Quote
I am going with them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I was gonna send my 5" Colt 1911 for some custom work, but I guess that's not gonna happen anymore.

So, Blackhawk is the place to go for custom work at this point? Everybody else has long wait times.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was gonna send my 5" Colt 1911 for some custom work, but I guess that's not gonna happen anymore.

So, Blackhawk is the place to go for custom work at this point? Everybody else has long wait times.
View Quote
Nice things cost money, so I went with Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Just noticed that I type "Blackhawk" instead of "Nighthawk," lol. I just had gallblader surgery, so I blame it on the pain meds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I find it very odd that any company would turn away business.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tons of 1911 custom shops are.   I think it is odd that they just changed what they do vs stop taking work but that can be explained if they are just farming that work out.  I know a few have just shut work down until further notice a few times.   I think Colt has several times because they had a huge backlog of like 15-18 months at one point.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't really think they are.  SACs was always a bit of an anomaly because they did great work, they did it fast, and they did it cheap.

They have gotten extremely popular in the last few years, and I believe they have also had some good smiths go out on their own.

It sucks, but when you have a multi-year backlog for $3,000+ custom guns, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to tie up your smiths with guys who want $250 in work and have 1,000 questions.

I could be way off, but those are my assumptions. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't really think they are.  SACs was always a bit of an anomaly because they did great work, they did it fast, and they did it cheap.

They have gotten extremely popular in the last few years, and I believe they have also had some good smiths go out on their own.

It sucks, but when you have a multi-year backlog for $3,000+ custom guns, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to tie up your smiths with guys who want $250 in work and have 1,000 questions.

I could be way off, but those are my assumptions.
View Quote
We had a couple Springfield reps at our store this weekend, one being from the factory. You seem to be right. His answer when I asked was they wanted to get the Professional wait time down from the 3-5 years. He said it's down to about 18 months now. He also said they will start slowly adding options back to the Custom shop work list, but it won't be the same as old. I asked specifically about front strap checkering since I want to send my RO in for that & he said that'll be added back at some point.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#47]
That's good news. I really just would like to get front checkering and a one piece magwell blended in. Besides that my black operator feels perfect
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's good news. I really just would like to get front checkering and a one piece magwell blended in. Besides that my black operator feels perfect
View Quote
Sadly, if you checker and refinish the LBO, it will cost more than a TRP.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
But I get to keep the normal sights, I don't find the trp adjustable ones appealing at all even when swapped with say 10-8s
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
But I get to keep the normal sights, I don't find the trp adjustable ones appealing at all even when swapped with say 10-8s
View Quote
True, you would get the setup people wish SA made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top