Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 7:21:20 AM EDT
I keep hearing they're good.
there seem to be about one hundred different designs
arte they all good?

how are the cheaper GI looking 8 rounders?
what about the 10 rounders?

would you trust the 10 rounders as backup carry mags?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
They have always worked in my 1911's I use mostly the stainless 8rd shooting star mags,  I do use 10rd power mags as well though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I like to power mags. I have had issues with the 10 round CMC mags the followers don't seem to be wide enough for some guns and jump around they Slide stop causing Failure to lock back. For 10 round mags I just use tripp or Wilsons. I have never had an issue with a 8 round CMC powermag tho. Most flush fit 8 round magazines suffer from short spring life as they are basically 7 round magazine with 8 rounds crammed into them. Most of the new 8 round magazines have an extended body which helps spring life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the blackened power mags.

Midway was having a sale $22. For them. So far the 6 I have have all been perfect with 700 rounds through them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Power Mags. They are my go to.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 10 round Power Mag. Only run about 100 rounds through it so far. It feeds in both my 1911s.
The 8 round Power Mag I have will cause first round nose dives when reloading from a slide lock. No issues when chambering by hand though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The only issue I've had with Power Mags is an occasional inertia feed with carry ammo. I've never had problems with ball. The problem was solved by putting Tripp Super 7 kits in the CMC mags. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you use these in CMC 8 round magazines? Do you think the fix was the spring, or the follower? I've wondered if just dropping in the Tripp follower would be a fix.
View Quote

It was with the 8 rounders. Most of the research I have done says inertia feed is a result of weak mag springs, but the mags I have were newish at the time. I wouldn't rule out the very smooth followers, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like the 8 rd Power Mags as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]
8-round Powermags and standard 7-round Colt factory magazines are all I use anymore. I've had no issues with either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They have always worked in my 1911's I use mostly the stainless 8rd shooting star mags,  I do use 10rd power mags as well though.
View Quote

My TRP Operator loves them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Powermags are my go to magazines but avoid them if you've got an aluminum framed 1911 because the followers will gouge the frame.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had no trouble with any of my 8 or 10 round powermags.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My TRP loves the 10rd power mags as well. Used them in several 3-gun matches, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Powermags are my go to magazines but avoid them if you've got an aluminum framed 1911 because the followers will gouge the frame.
View Quote

CMC says that their Powermag+ is good to go with lightweight frames. I use them in my Lightweightt Commander with no gouging issues.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a 8 rounder that always failed to feed. Chucked it for a 80's 7 round GI contract.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
stainless 8rd shooting star mags are all i have experience with mine are old too
They worked and continue to work with quite a few different full size 1911's i've owned. 2 wilson combats 6 colts, 2 springfields , 1 s&w

That said my buddy had a factory colt combat commander they would not work in i don't mean one mag i mean 15...... that gun ran perfectly with both factory colt mags and wilson combat 47d's.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have some 8 and 10 round Powermag + magazines.  They work great in my TRP Operator but when I had a Rock Island compact the 10 rd mags would not work at all, round would nose dive everytime.  Did not try the 8's.

The Operator pretty much will run anything though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I keep hearing they're good.
there seem to be about one hundred different designs
arte they all good?

how are the cheaper GI looking 8 rounders?
what about the 10 rounders?

would you trust the 10 rounders as backup carry mags?
View Quote
I'm fond of the Shooting Star and Power Mag from CM. I had a Speer 230 GDHP not wanting to feed reliably from the Power Mags though...but I use HST's though and was burning through the last of the Speer ammo I had.

I trust them to run with ball and HST's as they've been proven to always feed the 1911's of mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the kind with the captive alloy frame specific follower.

I don't fucking care what they say, the devel follower will mar even steel frames.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I met Chip and his wife at SHOT a few years ago and he is a solid guy.  Knows a ton about 1911s and magazines.  He helped Kimber get their start.

I have owned Shooting Stars for about 25 years and use the Power Mag+ mags in my 4.25" 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I met Chip and his wife at SHOT a few years ago and he is a solid guy.  Knows a ton about 1911s and magazines.  He helped Kimber get their start.

I have owned Shooting Stars for about 25 years and use the Power Mag+ mags in my 4.25" 1911s.
View Quote

Chip was also the driving force behind the STI and the 2011 design. Tripp and Strayer ran with it but he was the one who got them all to the drawing board.

All the CMC mags I have are Powermags, and I have no complaints about their performance.  Now they have a new RPM design with doubled-over feedlips that looks pretty intriguing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine are the cheaper shooting star? Classic mags 8rds.  No problems.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had great luck with the 10 rounders but keep in mind you need the late model followers if you have an aluminum frame.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
They work great in my Colts, Kimbers and 1 of my Les Baers. They don't work in my alloy frame Les Baer Stinger.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't know why but they don't seem to work well in my Colt Commander 1991 I bought new about 6 years ago.  Seem to always jam on the last bullet in the mag.  8 rounders.  Can't figure it out.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't know why but they don't seem to work well in my Colt Commander 1991 I bought new about 6 years ago.  Seem to always jam on the last bullet in the mag.  8 rounders.  Can't figure it out.  

Patrick
View Quote
It may be inertia feeding. That's the problem I've had with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Power mags work great in all of my 1911's.  Just picked up a couple more on sale from MidwayUSA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like to power mags. I have had issues with the 10 round CMC mags the followers don't seem to be wide enough for some guns and jump around they Slide stop causing Failure to lock back. For 10 round mags I just use tripp or Wilsons. I have never had an issue with a 8 round CMC powermag tho. Most flush fit 8 round magazines suffer from short spring life as they are basically 7 round magazine with 8 rounds crammed into them. Most of the new 8 round magazines have an extended body which helps spring life.
View Quote

This is the same experience I've found to be true as well. If an 8 round magazine body is flush fit or just a couple hairs over that, and you leave it fully loaded for a month... I was likely to have nose dives, stove pipes, etc. the next range visit. Wolff Extra Power springs and replacing the plastic followers with the traditional metal follower 100% remedied the problems. But I only loaded 7 rounds in the particular mags I speak of, (they were NOT CMC mags though OP.) The (8) round CMC Power Plus magazines have never failed any of my 1911's OP. The non Power Plus CMC flat bottom mags, (the ones you can run with said flat bottom or with the attachment with the rubber bumpers), they always fed fine but would fail to lock the slide with the last round 50% of the time. The 10 round magazines, granted I only had (2) had shorter than usual spring life in my experience. After 400-500 rounds I'd get a feed problem at about round 8 or 9 especially using +P ammo. I'd replace the springs with Wolff, load them up to (9) rounds and wouldn't have another problem with them. I feel the (8) round Power Plus mags are almost bomb proof, buy as many as you can. This above has been my experience. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I totally forgot about the follower and the aluminum frame issue. I sold all my McCormick mags 6 months ago to my brother. I just got an aluminum framed Champion Operator and almost bought 4 CMC's "Power Mags" Friday night from Midway... but decided on (2) Eight round Wilson ETM's and (2) Eight round Mec-Gar's. Glad I happened upon this thread and your post AF!

OP, if you haven't checked out MidwayUSA then you should. They are having a sale on 1911 mags now. The ETM's I ordered were still a bit pricey but the Mec-Gar's were $16.50 each. Mec-Gar makes the factory mags for CZ, Browning, Walther, etc... I've never had a problem with either a factory Mec-Gar "CZ" magazine or a Mec-Gar branded mag, ever, and I own almost 30 of them combined for my (3) CZ's. They are having a nice sale on factory Colt mags and CMC Power Mag and PM+ magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top