Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2017 5:44:57 AM EDT
Or are there other, better options out there?

Looking at the Spingfield Armory 1911 EMP as a possibility.

I had a Kimber CDP Pro II years ago and as much as I liked how it looked and felt it jammed pretty frequently on a couple different brands of ammo. I didn't keep it long enough to figure out if it was the ammo, the gun, or what. So I had more or less written off the idea of 1911's.

Not sure if jams are common among this style of gun in general, certain makers, certain calibers, but I saw one video review of this gun and while it performed well the uy actually said he wouldn't use a 1911 as an SD/carry pistol because of their tendency to jam.

Hive mind thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Dan Wesson ECO 9mm would be an excellent choice the one I have is extremely accurate and reliable..
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I carried a range officer compact for about a year. I liked that it was slim compared to a Glock or M&P, held 9 rounds of 9mm, and most importantly shot amazingly. I'm talking tight groups, easy hits at speed. I liked it, and it ran 100% with good ammo.

BUT it was heavy compared to a similar Shield style pistol. I needed a real holster for it, couldn't carry in just gym shorts which is my casual attire in the summer here. People complain about the capacity but really I feel good most of the time with a J-frame, so double that was pretty cool. Now I have a real holster and a carry 1911 (les Baer TRS) which is as slim and just a bit heavier. Mitigated with a belt and good holster though.

I'm also in a consolidating phase. Getting out of a few different platforms, sticking with 1911 in 45, shield, and 2011. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, and would really consider one of the Range Officer operators or EMPs, DW, and others. Remember the EMP isn't a true 1911 in that parts won't interchange. just build around 9mm instead of 45, which makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both a Springfield Range Officer Compact in 45ACP and a Springfield Range Officer Champion in 9MM that I have considered using as a carry gun, I really like the compact 45(more than I thought when I bought it) my only concern was weight as well, wouldn't feel under gunned by either of them even with the limited capacity.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't own one, have shot a few, very easy, and fun, to shoot.
Personally I don't think the 1911 is the best platform for 9mm from a size/weight/capacity/cost standpoint. Do you want an all steel/alloy, hammer fired pistol ? BHP or CZ would be options, higher cap, just as easy/fun to shoot, about the same size, perhaps more affordable. No shortage of light, high round poly guns that are tried and tested, striker and hammer fired. As always though, what have you tried and what have you already ruled out ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a 6" STI Targetmaster, a 5" Springfield Loaded with a Kart barrel, and a 3" EMP. I shoot PPC with these guns. They are all very accurate and a joy to shoot. With that said, I would never recommend any of them for concealed carry. When you consider weight, capacity, and reliability, none of these guns make the cut. I'm sure someone out there has a 9mm 1911 that has never malfunctioned. If you have the money and time to sort that out, have at it. If not, get a proven polymer gun for CWP and save the 9mm 1911 for range days and BBQs.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander. It was an amazing pistol, easy and fun to shoot, very accurate, all the good things about a 1911 applied. The problem with it was limited capacity and weight. For a carry gun it just didn't make sense. There are lighter 9mms with far greater capacity that can fill that role. There are compact .45 caliber guns that weigh nearly the same as well.

If you want a 1911 style pistol, it only makes sense in .45 because dropping to 9mm just doesn't add enough capacity or lose enough weight. JMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#7]
A 9 mm colt commander is a good choice for carry. Nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The weight to ammo cap ratio isn't worth it to me. I also shot an EMP and it wouldn't even chamber a hollowpoint from the magazine. It was a demo gun at a local range and was most definitely broken in. It may be a lemon but I recommend you shoot before you buy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Over the last five years or so a lot of companies have been cracking the code on making 9mm 1911's run well. We are in a much different place than we were just 10 years ago with 9mm 1911's. I previously lived in a ban state that limited capacity to 10 anyway so the size weight to firepower ratio was not an issue for me. I previously had two older colts one stock commander and later a lightly modified government model both of which ran great and would not hesitate to carry either ( wish I still had them)
Every carry gun is a compromise between size capacity carry comfort and ergonomics and finally accuracy. The only place you can not compromise in a carry is reliability- if the gun is reliable and can be trusted carry is reasonable. Despite what people may say about having a gun that has never malfunctioned, every gun always has a possibility of an inexplicable malfunction and this is why malfunction drills need to be learned
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Any carry gun should first be fired with various types of ammo (especially the particular ammo you Intend to use
for carry) for at least a couple of hundred rounds and then also perform practice drills clearing any malfunctions...

This holds true for any pistol types Including 1911's, just remember any pistol can malfunction due to any number
of factors...many times this involves ammo sensitivity/bad ammo and magazine Issues/malfunctions...

One of the reasons Glocks are very reliable are due to the excellent magazine design and magazine build quality
overall and the other being the low nearly straight feeding angle from the magazine into the chamber...pistols
that have the above advantages/designs tend to be very reliable overall.

Ultimate reliability usually comes from a good quality revolver, with the down side being the limited ammo capacity.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Not everyone has had good luck with sub 4.25" 1911's.  Would read lots of forum posts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a Kimber pro carry II 9mm for 8 yrs. I've carried it off and on over the yrs, it does get heavy compared to tupperware but is by far and away the most accurate pistol I own.

I like it so much that I'm currently waiting for a Pro carry II .45 to arrive at my ffl's door.

Just awesome pistols!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Why the hell not.  Yes.  Colt LW here in 9mm

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My 9mm citadel compact 1911 is a cool little pistol, but I would never carry it ever. It's not reliable for me unless it's been cleaned and oiled before I shoot it, but I only bought it as a cheap range toy to get my 1911 fix (don't want to add another caliber)
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned and shot one or more 1911's since 1981. I love 'em.
Shot a couple for over a decade in IPSC/USPSA. I know e'm.

I've been tempted to pick up a 9mm 1911 but as a range toy, not as a carry gun.
IMHO, the limited capacity of the 1911 dictates a .45 ACP for carry, obviously YMMV.

The advantage of the 9mm is capacity, by that I mean 15 rounds or more.
Hell, my Glock 41 is no bigger than a 1911 and it has 14 rounds of .45.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not sure if jams are common among this style of gun in general, certain makers, certain calibers, but I saw one video review of this gun and while it performed well the uy actually said he wouldn't use a 1911 as an SD/carry pistol because of their tendency to jam.

Hive mind thoughts?
View Quote

Bull shit! Back in the old days when the choices were names like auto ordnance, amt or para ordnance, then yeah back then 1911s weren't reliable, but today there are many good companies that make 1911s as reliable as glocks. I own several RIAs (in 45 mind you) that have NEVER jammed even once.

Regarding carrying a 9mm 1911 though, no I wouldn't. As stated above, it's just not practical to carry a big heavy gun in a small caliber (most people consider 9mm to be the minimum caliber for defensive carry) and you only get 1 extra round capacity. If I had a 9mm 1911 and needed to carry it for defense, I guess I would and it'd probably get the job done, but definitely not my first choice for combat. You can get a glock 26 that holds 10+ rounds of 9mm in a pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#17]
my old carry gun up to nov. of this year-.45

my new carry - Kart barreled 9MM

A well built 9MM 1911 will run like a raped ape...I have quite a bit of rounds through the latest custom carry with zero issues....even being as tight as a les baer when I first got it.  I noticed the weight dif. right of the bat as apposed to the .45

its current setup with gunner grips-

ETA carry the gun that YOU shoot best.....dont get me wrong I like my g19, but for ME the most comfortable carry gun and best fit is the full size 1911.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#18]
It should go without saying, but Wilson Combat makes a great compact 9mm. With my carry rounds and factory I have had zero malfunctions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up anew Colt stainless comp .with novac type sights and blue vz grips and picked up about 5 extra mags and this gun is flawless . I would carry it .
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I will throw in with the others regarding weight vs. capacity.

I love the 1911 platform and there is nothing wrong with it from a CCW perspective, however there are plenty of polymer pistols that shoot nearly as well, and hold a heck of a lot more rounds for less weight. So for me, I don't carry one, but if that is what trips your trigger, then go for it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Over the years I've carried a standard sized 1911 in .45 ACP, a 3" Ultra Carry in .45 ACP, a Browning Hi Power and a CZ 75 Compact.  The common thread here is that all of these pistols work well if a 1911 fits your hand well.

Lately however, I've started carrying a LW Commander in 9mm, and I like it better than any of the above mentioned pistols.

The 5" 1911 was heavy, but great when it came to shooting, given the wonderfully short reset and controllability of the full sized design.

The 3" Ultra Carry was surprisingly accurate and controllable, and was such easier to carry - but it had only 7+1 capacity, and suffered from the comparatively slow follow up shot common to a .45 ACP.

Based on practical pistol shooting with both .45 ACP and 9mm, I eventually started carrying a Browning Hi Power as I realized I could score 3 A zone hits in the same period of time it took to get 2 A zone hits with a .45 ACP.  In that regard, the BHP carried 15+ 1 rounds, and would diver them 50% quicker with equal accuracy.  And with the improvement in 9mm hollow point performance, I didn't feel I was limited in the terminal ballistics.   No handgun will rapidly incapacitate anyone, unless you manage a CNS or cardio pulmonary hit, and the 9mm Para offered more chances for a solid hit in any given period of time.

The downside was that the BHP was just as large and heavy as a 5" 1911.   That led to a CZ 75 compact, with it's 14 +1 capacity and much smaller form factor.

Eventually however I found I missed the 1911's trigger with it excellent pull and wonderfully short trigger reset.  I've never been able to match the speed and accuracy of a 1911 for double taps with any other handgun.   That led to giving a LW Commander in 9mm a try and I realized I should have gone that route a couple decades ago.

It's got 10 +1 capacity, which isn't bad, it's got the superb trigger of a 1911, and it's light enough and compact enough to carry concealed comfortably all day long, without compromising controllability thanks to the light recoiling 9mm round.  

It's pretty much ideal if you like the 1911.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should go without saying, but Wilson Combat makes a great compact 9mm. With my carry rounds and factory I have had zero malfunctions.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343808/IMG-0242-136526.JPG
View Quote

this is sex ...nice piece
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I had an STI Spartan V in 9mm a few years ago.

I did have a few issues with it, but as the name implied it was cheaply made in the Philippines and not up to snuff.

If I had a different brand 9mm 1911 I'd probably still have it, but just as a range/competition gun. Personally, I'd go with a 1911 in .45 or go polymer with a M&P in 9mm or .45. I'm not restricted with any magazine laws and I can conceal larger pistols than some.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#24]
If an aluminum-framed 9mm Government-size or even Commander-size 1911 were "safe" to buy here in California, I'd be looking really, really hard at it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Came into the 1911 forum to post exactly about 9mm 1911s.  I've decided that I actually need one and am looking hard at a Dan Wesson Silverback.  Strictly a range toy / IDPA gun.  Would not carry it as I have plastic guns for that.

Anybody have one they like to tell me about?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I would certainly consider the EMP or a Ruger LW commander in 9mm.  But I can't justify carrying it over the G19.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I am a big 1911 fan. I have 3 in .45 ACP ( Light Weight Operator, GI Model, and Para Companion). I picked up a Rock Island 2011 MS 9mm Tac last year. It is a great gun and alot of fun. It is accurate and reliable. That being said , my 9mm 1911 is really just for tacticool fun. I gave up carrying my 1911 a couple of years ago and switched over to XDM 45 compact and xds 45 over weight concerns. If I was going to go back to carrying a single action automatic and I wanted one in 9mm I would go with a Browning Hi Power. You get more rounds and I think its more concealable as well. But thats just my opinion!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not so bad.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any carry gun should first be fired with various types of ammo (especially the particular ammo you Intend to use
for carry) for at least a couple of hundred rounds and then also perform practice drills clearing any malfunctions...

This holds true for any pistol types Including 1911's, just remember any pistol can malfunction due to any number
of factors...many times this involves ammo sensitivity/bad ammo and magazine Issues/malfunctions... /

/...Ultimate reliability usually comes from a good quality revolver, with the down side being the limited ammo capacity.
View Quote

I agree, but with a couple additions.

I advise at least 200 rounds be shot through a semi auto with your preferred carry ammo and the magazines you will be carrying with no malfunctions before you make the decision to carry it for a self defense pistol.   This will probably go smoother if you ensure the pistol is broken in first.  It's a non issue on some models, but others have tight tolerances and won't become fully relabel until they've had a couple hundred rounds through them.  You're best off with 4 boxes of cheap FMJ ammo for that purpose before you start shooting expensive self defense rounds.

I also advise people to rotate their carry ammo by expending it down range every 1-3 months, since the ammo you carry is exposed to heat, sweat, salt, gun oils and solvents, repeated chambering with potential set back, etc and quickly becomes some of the worst ammo you own.   Shooting your carry ammo regularly also confirms that it is still reliable in your firearm and over the course of a few years, you will have sent literally hundreds of rounds downrange and will have  very good feel for reliability.  

----

The vast majority of self defense shootings (over 95%) are over and done with in 5 rounds or less at 5 yards or less in 5 seconds or less.  The FBI found in looking at 12 years of agent involved shootings that 75% of those shoots were over in 3 seconds or less with a total of 3 shot or less fired at 3 yards or less.

In that regard, if you've got limited practice time, your efforts are best directed at developing an efficient and reliable draw from concealment and practicing getting your rounds on target at ranges of 5 yards or less.  

Addressing malfunctions, weak hand shooting, etc are all valuable skills to acquire and practice, but they are secondary and at best only come into play in a very, very small percentage of civilian self defensive shoots.  Prioritize accordingly and don't waste your time on those skills until you've mastered the skills that will be far more important in the low probability event that you actually have to employ a handgun in self defense.

----    

Revolvers can be more reliable than a semi-auto but they are still prone to a couple different potential issues.

The biggest concern in a light weight or magnum caliber revolver is the bullet backing out of the case under recoil, and this can still be an issue in a steel framed .38 Special.  The issue is that the bullet can back out far enough to extend in front of the cylinder and block the cylinder from rotating, jamming the revolver, and potentially also preventing a reload if the protruding bullet is on the wrong side of the frame.  

I advise people to fire at least 50 rounds of there carry ammo through a revolver, and in doing this I suggest they set aside 3 rounds, fire the entire cylinder except for one of those rounds, reload and repeat until each of those rounds has undergone the recoil of 15 shots, and then inspect all three to ensure the overall length has not increased.

This 50 round test should also uncover any mechanical issues with the revolver, such as light strikes, failure to properly index the cylinder or any leading or lead shaving issues that may be present.  

The other jam that can occur with a revolver is if powder rescue finds it's way under the ejector star.  This will allow you to dump the empty casings, but will then prevent the star from fully retracting and will prevent you from closing the reloaded cylinder.   Like a malfunction with a pistol, this is a secondary concern as it will not effect the first cylinder (5 to 7 rounds depending on the revolver) and won't be a factor in the vast majority of shoots.  However, if your self defense load is producing large unburnt powders grains and is depositing them in your revolver, it's a nice thing to know, and may guide your ammunition selection.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Regarding carrying a 9mm 1911 though, no I wouldn't. As stated above, it's just not practical to carry a big heavy gun in a small caliber (most people consider 9mm to be the minimum caliber for defensive carry) and you only get 1 extra round capacity. If I had a 9mm 1911 and needed to carry it for defense, I guess I would and it'd probably get the job done, but definitely not my first choice for combat. You can get a glock 26 that holds 10+ rounds of 9mm in a pocket pistol.
View Quote

It's relative, but when people make comments like this, I suspect they are thinking about a full size, steel frame 1911.  

A Glock 26 weighs 26 oz loaded and gives you 10 +1 capacity.   My Ruger LW Commander is also 10+1 in 9mm Para and weighs 34 oz loaded, that's only 8 oz heavier than the Glock 26.  

The Commander sized 1911 is an inch longer and an inch higher than the Glock 26, but it offers a barrel than is 1" longer with better internal ballistics.
The 1911's trigger is superb and allows very rapid and accurate double taps and controlled pairs, far bette than the Glock, which tend to have triggers that give my Black and Decker staple gun a run for its money.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 3 very reliable 9mm 1911s. I am very comfortable using them. I would carry any of them if needed.
However I decided I wanted more capacity and less weight if I was packing 9mm so I have an M&P9c that gets most of my carry work.

If yours is super reliable and you can run it well with wet hands, in the dark, and a heart rate over 110 go for it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I qualified a guy at work tonight with his new Colt LW commander in 9mm. Very nice gun, I was impressed with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]
From a practical standpoint a 9mm 1911 is not very appealing for a carry gun (at least to me)

Much heavier than a polymer pistol of the same size, and has a greatly reduced capacity.

When I think of a 9mm 1911, I generally associate it with a range gun rather than a defensive auto.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I would have no problem at all carrying a SA Range Officer Champion in 9mm.

Something else you might consider is a CZ P07. Polymer frame for weight reduction, same capacity as a Glock 19. SA/DA capable, can be setup with either a safety or a decocker and comes with both in the box. I find the SA triggers on CZ's to be on par with a 1911. I have a SP01 Shadow from the CZ Custom shop that has a better SA trigger than any non-custom pistol I have fired. The DA trigger is on par with my K frame S&W's.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or are there other, better options out there?

Looking at the Spingfield Armory 1911 EMP as a possibility.

I had a Kimber CDP Pro II years ago and as much as I liked how it looked and felt it jammed pretty frequently on a couple different brands of ammo. I didn't keep it long enough to figure out if it was the ammo, the gun, or what. So I had more or less written off the idea of 1911's.

Hive mind thoughts?
View Quote

I'm a 1911 guy.  Given the choice I'll take the 1911 over anything else for CCW and duty carry.  Three years ago I decided I needed greater capacity.  My solution was the STI 2011 in 9mm.  Everything you love about the 1911 with greater capacity.   Shoots really nice too.  Got 15k through her and i couldn't be happier with the pistol.

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:21:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's sexy AF.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm a 1911 guy.  Given the choice I'll take the 1911 over anything else for CCW and duty carry.  Three years ago I decided I needed greater capacity.  My solution was the STI 2011 in 9mm.  Everything you love about the 1911 with greater capacity.   Shoots really nice too.  Got 15k through her and i couldn't be happier with the pistol.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/IMG_20141103_132617_zps08fd494b.jpg
View Quote

I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Just got my 9mm 1911 in. I figured why not. 2-3 extra rounds makes sense to me, even if the gun is just as heavy as a 45. Also I don't like to get a bunch of dif calibers so I avoid anything not 9mm.

I was plannning on carrying but the finish on this gun is so nice, I probably won't carry it too much. Do plan on getting a holster  for it though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I've carried my 9mm Colt 1991 a few times. It's a bit larger than my Glock 26 and Sig P239 so it doesn't get carried as much. It has been 100% reliable so far and is very smooth and comfortable to shoot.

The biggest advantage of a 9mm 1911 for me, isn't the +2 rd capacity, but the faster follow up shots. When I push faster, I notice I come back on target quicker than with a .45.

The 9mm Colt with my .45 SW1911.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#40]
OP SAS, Mossad, GSG 9 have been doing good things to bad people for a long time with the 9mm round. It is hits that count. If the 1911 fits you best and 9mm works best for you then go for it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an RO Compact 9mm that I bought for carry. It's about the same size as a Glock 19, but slimmer, points better, and the factory trigger (not tuned) is worlds better.

I just took a defensive handgun class with it, and it did not have a single malfunction in 600 rounds. Accuracy was excellent.

At the end of the day, it's light enough to carry comfortably, it shoots well, and carries enough ammo for what I need. For me, it shoots better than a Glock or USP. But that's a personal choice. Others may find something else works better for them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
1911 in 9mm.  There's just something WRONG with that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My solution was the STI 2011 in 9mm.  Everything you love about the 1911 with greater capacity.   Shoots really nice too.  Got 15k through her and i couldn't be happier with the pistol.
View Quote

I played with an STI at an HTF shoot years back and was blown away by it. IIRC it had been tuned up for IPSC competition but the action was smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I carry an EMP in 9mm. You have nothing to worry about.

The only problem I have had with mine is that I lost the little piece to hold the guide rod for disassembly. Other than that it's been 100% reliable with ammo I have put through it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
1911 in 9mm.  There's just something WRONG with that.
View Quote

Until you try it. Then you are like "Damn! This is fun!"
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I played with an STI at an HTF shoot years back and was blown away by it. IIRC it had been tuned up for IPSC competition but the action was smooth as butter.
View Quote
I've not handled one that wasn't nice stock.  I can only imagine what one is like that's been "tweaked".  After I made the switch to the 2011, several of my partners who carry 1911s made the switch as well and chose either the Tactical or Marauder in 9 and they all love 'em.  As much as I love the 1911 I'll probably never buy another for duty, it's 2011s from here on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#48]
if you shoot a 1911 better than plastic fantastic, go for it. I have played with some of the nicest tricked out Glocks and M&Ps out there, and while they work, I still shoot 1911s better. I like them more, I enjoy shooting them more, and I make better hits with them. I'm switching back to the full size 45 because I've found I like the longer sight radius, I like the 45 round (nothing against 9mm, but in a 1911 capacity is the same so why not the bigger bullet?) and I'm not having as much trouble hiding it as I thought I would.

shoot what you like. I hate Glocks. double stack polymers suck IWB for me. 2011s are great, all the capacity of polymer with the good trigger of a 1911. only problem is the price, which is north of 2k all kitted out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
if you shoot a 1911 better than plastic fantastic, go for it. I have played with some of the nicest tricked out Glocks and M&Ps out there, and while they work, I still shoot 1911s better. I like them more, I enjoy shooting them more, and I make better hits with them. I'm switching back to the full size 45 because I've found I like the longer sight radius, I like the 45 round (nothing against 9mm, but in a 1911 capacity is the same so why not the bigger bullet?) and I'm not having as much trouble hiding it as I thought I would.

shoot what you like. I hate Glocks. double stack polymers suck IWB for me. 2011s are great, all the capacity of polymer with the good trigger of a 1911. only problem is the price, which is north of 2k all kitted out.
View Quote
Price is a problem with the 2011 (and 1911s in general) but if finances allow, isn't your life worth 2k?  I decided mine was, given the increased possibility of multiple threats and or (in my area) facing a threat armed with (surprise!) a long gun.  Now, prices have dropped 2 to 300 from what they were in 2014.  That's a plus.  Kinda wished I'd have waited to save a couple hundred.  I'm a cheap bastard.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From a practical standpoint a 9mm 1911 is not very appealing for a carry gun (at least to me)

Much heavier than a polymer pistol of the same size, and has a greatly reduced capacity.

When I think of a 9mm 1911, I generally associate it with a range gun rather than a defensive auto.
View Quote

Me too.

The only reasons I would consider a 9mm 1911 would be cheaper practice or as a match gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top