Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 2:15:29 PM EDT
I was in the right place at the right time for this one. It was part of a collection purchased by a local shop, and the ink was barely dry on the pricetag when I happened by. It was priced a little less than the reproduction.

There was still a lot of cosmolene inside, and by the look of it, it was quite a bit older than I am.

I took it out to the range yesterday and put several magazines of mixed ball and SWC reloads, and it fed everything without complaint. The trigger is probably a good 8 pounds or so, and even so i was able to keep my shots in the "A" square on the head of a USPSA target.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:42:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:50:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:02:52 PM EDT
Nice find.
Are you gonna keep shooting it or retire it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:10:18 PM EDT
I'm jealous......Very jealous
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:31:55 PM EDT
Very Cool!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:32:29 PM EDT
Nice score ... I really want one.

Has anyone ever sent one of these back to Colt to have it restored and re-proofed or does that degrade the "collector" value. The only reason I ask is I did it with a Colt SSA that was a family heirloom and it came out beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:29:09 PM EDT
And here I clicked on this thread thinking I was gonna see you hacking up one of those new repros...

Congrats! Those kinda pistols make you feel like you go back in time when you even hold them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:40:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gatorhunt:

Has anyone ever sent one of these back to Colt to have it restored and re-proofed or does that degrade the "collector" value. The only reason I ask is I did it with a Colt SSA that was a family heirloom and it came out beautiful.

restoration destroys collectible value. A turnbull restored 1918 sold on gunbroker for 1100 +\-
turnbull restorations are thousands of dollars and the auction prooved once again what collectors say:
restored/refinished guns = 0% original finish

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:50:50 PM EDT
that is an awesome pistol!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 5:56:34 PM EDT by ken_mays]
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
Nice find.
Are you gonna keep shooting it or retire it?

I'm going to leave it alone and put it into my C&R collection. Normally I don't see much point in owning something I won't shoot, but this one was too cheap to pass up. It'll probably get dragged out for safe queen photo ops from time to time.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:59:22 PM EDT

restoration destroys collectible value. A turnbull restored 1918 sold on gunbroker for 1100 +\-
turnbull restorations are thousands of dollars and the auction prooved once again what collectors say:

That's what I figured ... guess I just don't have that collector mentality.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:10:54 PM EDT

Neither do I –– I'm more of a bargain hunter. Every "collectible" gun I have is something that I ran across and said, "Damn, that's cheap." This one was marked at $799. Knowing this shop, I halfway wondered if they forgot to put a "1" in front of it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:14:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Neither do I –– I'm more of a bargain hunter. Every "collectible" gun I have is something that I ran across and said, "Damn, that's cheap." This one was marked at $799. Knowing this shop, I halfway wondered if they forgot to put a "1" in front of it.

Daaammm ... you got a great deal then ... no wonder you snapped it up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 6:25:23 PM EDT by GunnyG]

NICE FIND!

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
I was in the right place at the right time for this one. It was part of a collection purchased by a local shop, and the ink was barely dry on the pricetag when I happened by. It was priced a little less than the reproduction.

There was still a lot of cosmolene inside, and by the look of it, it was quite a bit older than I am.

I took it out to the range yesterday and put several magazines of mixed ball and SWC reloads, and it fed everything without complaint. The trigger is probably a good 8 pounds or so, and even so i was able to keep my shots in the "A" square on the head of a USPSA target.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/colt-2.jpg

You want to guess how many times people have tried to tell me my May 1918 1911 (s/n 220xxx) must be a parts gun, because it doesn't have the pony at the rear of the slide? As if I cared, I got it for under $400 (...almost 20 years ago).

Besides, who would go to that much trouble, to find a slide made within ~65,000 units of the serial number?

Lacking any arsenal markings, I'm chalking it up to the slide either having been swapped out in the field, by a unit armorer, or the frame was released from the factory later than the pistols in its s/n range.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/Frame%20and%20Slide%20Markings.htm

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:44:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 8:09:39 AM EDT by SignManIam]
Does anyone know what year the first extended Thumb Safety showed up on a production 1911? Those sure are small but functional I guess. You surely would not accidentally unlock it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:04:01 AM EDT
on a "production " gun like a colt? the small gi type safety you see is what you got thru pretty much all of Colt's production.
NEVER refinish this gun- if you wanted a nice finish gun get the repro don't butcher a classic.
nice looking late production 1911 (most of the 1911 production had the us prop marking on the left side of frame.)
they moved the prop marking to the right late in 1911 production then kept it there for the A1 series
Top Top