Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 12:36:34 PM EDT
My father gave me two German Lugers.  I was wondering if anybody knows anything about them such as value and what not.

Luger 1
Seems to be all origional and matching with a date 1937
Origional finish
The SN number is four digits 713X
The proof stamps are of that of a german eagle
no swatztkas (sp?)are noted
It has a S/42 marking on the slide just before the sight notch I was told this was a mauser marking

Luger II
Date 1915
Looks Reblued (it looks too nice to be from 1915)
It has three initials on the slide just foward of the sight notch.
All sereal numbers are matching exept for the magazine.
The proof marks appear german they look like a tiny symbol abovea letter.
THanks Mike K
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Luger 1 is a standard military model made by Mauser. Their code for that time was S/42 your gun should have Eagle 63 proofs on the side. Does it have strawed or blued small parts? 1937 was a transition period for this.

Luger 2, may be original finish, but I would need to see good detailed pics to determine correctly.  Your is a standard military DWM mfg P.08 the proofs are gothic letters under a crown. A good way to tell if an Imperial Luger has the original finish is to get a strong flash light. I Surefire will do nicely, take the light and shine it on the finish at an angle. If the blued finish turns reddish then you probably have an orignal finish on the gun.

Here is a pic of a 1906 American Eagle that I own, just to show you how good they can look even when they are over 100 years old!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Ballpark guess on your values would be in the $600 range & up, depending on finish, etc. I now have two, love them both. They always draw a crowd at the firing range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Long as we are on the subject: I have a Luger P-08 as well.  It's a S/42 #519X with date 1938 stamped on it.  It has Russian "X" capture mark and all matching numbers.  It has a crowned 'U' proof mark right above the full serial number, strawed square piece on the left side (but not the trigger), and no import mark that I can see.  Looks like the Russian had dip-finished it, but the "GESICHERT" safety still has yellow paint on it.

Anyone has any idea regarding value and whatnot on this pistol?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the recent Russian capture guns that came into the US had discrete imort marks. Look on the top of the frame rails or inside the frame. The Crown U marking above the slide serial number indicates that it was a Mauser Banner commercial. Are any numbers x'ed out and restamped? Value is as a shooter only figure about $500-600 depending on condition, although newbies often pay more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
There's no x-out number anywhere, and I can't find import marks, either, unless they are under the grips.  Is S/42 a military marking?  If it is, what is it doing on a commercial Luger?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember that after the war all weapons captured by the Russians were reworked and put in storage in case they were needed in the future. If a particular gun had damaged parts they would rob them from other guns.. Some were issued to satelite states for use in the military or police forces.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Most of the recent Russian capture guns that came into the US had discrete imort marks. Value is as a shooter only figure about $500-600 depending on condition

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top