Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 9:57:55 PM EDT

This was brought back from World War One, along with his issued Colt 1911

It's been in my family since then.

Until today, I haven't shot it since I was a kid.

I ran a few rounds through it, and other than one FTF, it ran great.

Needs a good cleaning, but I thought I'd post a few pics first.

Collectors, any info would be appreciated.

It will remain in my Family, to be passed down to each generation.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn fine looking pistol and heirloom!!  Any stories as to how your relation acquired it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
So cool.

Ill be buying a luger or walther before the end of the year
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Under 10000 serial.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Any idea what it's worth ?

( I would never sell it )
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a 1914 Military Pattern, 1916 dated DWM made P.08 Luger.

DWM made very high quality Lugers and they were the biggest supplier of Luger pistols in that period.

There were approximately 140,000 of these made in 1916 and total production from 1913-18 was approximately 505,000, so overall as Lugers go this one is considered "common".

There is some overlap in dated production serial numbers from year to year as the receivers were numbered in sequence but not necessarily dated and delivered in the same order.  As a result 1916 dated DWM P.08s are serial numbered anywhere from 80 to 7060q.

They numbered Lugers from 1 to 10,000, then added a letter suffix and started over: 1a to 10,000a, 1b to 10,000b, etc.  There's always argument that the serial block were 1-9999, but there seem to be enough "10,000" numbered Lugers out there to suggest they were more concerned with production blocks of 10,000 pistols then they were with 4 digit serial numbers.

The 9799 serial on your Luger without a suffix just means your Luger was in the first production block in 1916.  Given 140,000 produced in 1916, or roughly 11,600 per month, yours was most likely delivered in January 1916.

----

The stylized "USS" mark on the receiver is the acceptance mark, and the mark following it is the military proof mark.

All the parts match the overall bluing is good, the strawing (gold color on the trigger and other small parts) is good and the grips are correct for the pistol. The should be numbered and if they have a "99" that matches the gun that adds to the value.  Matching numbers are important as if the metal small parts do not match it will cut the value of the gun in half.  You'll see Luger small parts for sale with the 2 digit number listed because owners with non matching parts are often trying to find matching parts in appropriate condition in order to improve the value of their luger.  

The wood based nickel plated magazines are correct for the 1914 Military pattern pistol.  If they still function properly, they are worth around $200 each.  As such I recommend you buy a mech-gar magazine for it if you plan to shoot it rather than risking damage to one of your originals.   If your magazines actually match your pistol (9799 stamped on the bases) you've pretty much won the luger lottery as matching number magazines are very rare and if found now, are more likely force fit to the gun by buying a matching number magazine later.  That's why you see magazine numbers listed when they are for sale.   It appears that while P.08s were delivered with two matching magazines, there was zero effort by the German military to keep the pistol with the magazines that were delivered with it.

---

Value wise it depends a lot on finding the right buyer but your Luger will sell somewhere between $800 and $1200 in that condition, and $1000 is probably a reasonable ballpark.  I would not take less than that for it, and that does not include an extra $200 for the extra magazine.

You don't mention a holster but an original WWI era holster like the one below will sell for between $150 and $300 in that condition:

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
i have the original holster

the numbers on the magazines are different

thanks for the info
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Under 10000 serial.  Interesting.
View Quote
Only commercial lugers were up to 5 digits. Military lugers like this one went 1-9999, then the same "a" "b" etc...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, that is awesome. There is a Arisaka in my family that a family member brought back from Iwo Jima. Sadly they are estranged and I have never seen it.

Care to share the story on how it was acquired?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a 1914 Military Pattern, 1916 dated DWM made P.08 Luger.

DWM made very high quality Lugers and they were the biggest supplier of Luger pistols in that period.

There were approximately 140,000 of these made in 1916 and total production from 1913-18 was approximately 505,000, so overall as Lugers go this one is considered "common".

There is some overlap in dated production serial numbers from year to year as the receivers were numbered in sequence but not necessarily dated and delivered in the same order.  As a result 1916 dated DWM P.08s are serial numbered anywhere from 80 to 7060q.

They numbered Lugers from 1 to 10,000, then added a letter suffix and started over: 1a to 10,000a, 1b to 10,000b, etc.  There's always argument that the serial block were 1-9999, but there seem to be enough "10,000" numbered Lugers out there to suggest they were more concerned with production blocks of 10,000 pistols then they were with 4 digit serial numbers.

The 9799 serial on your Luger without a suffix just means your Luger was in the first production block in 1916.  Given 140,000 produced in 1916, or roughly 11,600 per month, yours was most likely delivered in January 1916.

----

The stylized "USS" mark on the receiver is the acceptance mark, and the mark following it is the military proof mark.

All the parts match the overall bluing is good, the strawing (gold color on the trigger and other small parts) is good and the grips are correct for the pistol. The should be numbered and if they have a "99" that matches the gun that adds to the value.  Matching numbers are important as if the metal small parts do not match it will cut the value of the gun in half.  You'll see Luger small parts for sale with the 2 digit number listed because owners with non matching parts are often trying to find matching parts in appropriate condition in order to improve the value of their luger.  

The wood based nickel plated magazines are correct for the 1914 Military pattern pistol.  If they still function properly, they are worth around $200 each.  As such I recommend you buy a mech-gar magazine for it if you plan to shoot it rather than risking damage to one of your originals.   If your magazines actually match your pistol (9799 stamped on the bases) you've pretty much won the luger lottery as matching number magazines are very rare and if found now, are more likely force fit to the gun by buying a matching number magazine later.  That's why you see magazine numbers listed when they are for sale.   It appears that while P.08s were delivered with two matching magazines, there was zero effort by the German military to keep the pistol with the magazines that were delivered with it.

---

Value wise it depends a lot on finding the right buyer but your Luger will sell somewhere between $800 and $1200 in that condition, and $1000 is probably a reasonable ballpark.  I would not take less than that for it, and that does not include an extra $200 for the extra magazine.

You don't mention a holster but an original WWI era holster like the one below will sell for between $150 and $300 in that condition:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/P08/092AAD81-D7E9-4DCA-B240-0B8DEFB19BC9_zpsr9vtmvk1.jpg
View Quote
I have been following lugers for about a year heavy.

With one matching mag and all matching parts in that condition I approx. $1,600+. I have tons of them saved in my gunbroker account for what they actually sold for not the crack pipe asking prices.

the pistol alone without matching mag I still think 1,200-1,400
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
So is the 1911 camera shy?

j/k  Nice pics and what a great pair of heirlooms.

Dad fought in WWII in Africa, Italy, and Europe.
Unfortunately, he didn't bring his issued 4.2in mortar home.

I do have a Mauser Hsc that he took off a dead German officer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
best I can post frm my phone right now

My Grandfather carried this 1911 in WWI
it saved his ass

he gave it to his son in law, my Father, when I was born, told him each son will get it on his 18th birthday

I grew up shooting both this 1911, and the luger he brought back

I got the 1911 on my 18th birthday
I got the Luger from my father about 10 years ago

My grandfather and parents are all pasted now, and I have few details

Both my Grandfather and Father loved the 1911
so it's in my blood

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top