Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
Is the Para Ordnance Colonel w/ bobbed hammer, able to:

1) be decocked so that you can carry; w/ loaded chamber hammer down?

or

2) is it only possible to do this chambered w/ hammer back and safety?

The pics I 've seen mostly show hammer down w/ safety off or they show hammer back w/ safety engaged. IMO, logic would lend that you'd be able to 'de-cock' it being that it is a DA pistol.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated as I am trying the understand the function of this handgun w/ both SA/DA function and bobbed hammer. Is there a way to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber without firing it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 4:14:02 PM EDT by Cavu]
I haven't onwned a Para in a little while so I may be wrong, but I do not believe that any Para pistol has a decocker. The LDA trigger on the para's is double action, but the rest of the pistol is pretty much a 1911.

ETA: With the LDA's, there really is no need for a decocker because the hammer follows the slide back after every round. I just checked Para's site and the Colonel is a LDA pistol. You would have no use for a decocker. The pistol will never stay "cocked" with the lda trigger.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 4:26:59 PM EDT by quijanos]
Thanks, thats what I was missing. I didn't know that the hammer rode home ever time.

eta

This screams "slam fire" if you ask me or is it just me

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:03:58 PM EDT
My daily CCW is a Para 12.45 LDA, which has what I have heard called a "slap hammer." It's a nearly flat piece of metal with absolutely nothing resembling a spur, or even the nub of a spur. It does ride home with every shot, but remember there is all kinds of junk in there* that disconnects the hammer from the firing pin except when the trigger is depressed at the proper point in the cycle. I never really thought about slam fires, but upon reflection, having put hundreds of rounds through the pistol, it has a pucker factor of 0.0.

*Sorry for the technical jargon. I can't help myself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 5:06:37 PM EDT by Cavu]
I don't believe the LDA system lets the hammer rest on the firing pin. If you haven't shot a Para with the LDA, try to find someone who has one and take it for a test drive. Some folks don't care for the feel of the trigger. It is almost like a two stage trigger. I had the Para Carry. I actually liked the trigger and the pistol was very accurate, but mine had feeding issues that I never could get worked out so I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:30:02 PM EDT
I own a Colonel and carry it from time to time. It is perfectly safe, with no chance of a slam-fire.
Top Top