Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 6:25:34 PM EDT
This question is similar but more general than the previous post about which 1911 to buy. I'm very new to them and was just wondering what the general feeling was about which 1911 is the best quality. I'm looking at a SA mil spec right now just to give an idea of my price range.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Most post's I have read on the SA mil-spec have been very positive, not all but most. I'm sure others with more experience than I will reply to your question.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not trying to be a smart ass, but your kinda asking a bit too generic question, IMO.

If you have a price range, then we can help you decide this or that brand. If not, then hell, buy a Les Baer for $2500.

If you do indeed have a price range then buy the best 1911 you can afford. This includes buying the better brands used rather than the cheaper brands new.

The usual suspects for brands to buy are Springfield Armory, Colt, Kimber & possibly Para Ordnance. All make good guns & all turn out the sometimes lemon.

Brands that are iffy, at best, are Auto Ordnance, Charles Daly & Essex.

So, be a bit more specific in your price range & we can load you down with opinions.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This question is similar but more general than the previous post about which 1911 to buy. I'm very new to them and was just wondering what the general feeling was about which 1911 is the best quality. I'm looking at a SA mil spec right now just to give an idea of my price range.

thanks

It was such a good deal, I bought two:

NRM Colt 1991:

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I actually did state my price range in my original post, being the SA Mil spec. I figured this was a pretty general question so I was just looking for a good solid choice for that money. Bob's usual suspects is pretty much what I figured was good. Anymore opinions are certainly welcome though.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know when, or why, Colt stopped making the 19991A1 Series 80?  I bought mine for $420 NIB about 6 years ago, and it's a great, inexpensive, mil-spec 1911...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does anyone know when, or why, Colt stopped making the 19991A1 Series 80?  I bought mine for $420 NIB about 6 years ago, and it's a great, inexpensive, mil-spec 1911...

?!?!?....look at the photo, I just bought two!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I second the New Roll Mark Colts.  Picked up a commander a month or so ago!  I am very happy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1 earlier this year and and love it.  Shoot it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]
In this price range my choice would be a Colt, even a used one.  However, there seem to be a lot of happy SA Milspec owners.  Beware SA's QA, though.  It has not been the greatest lately.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In this price range my choice would be a Colt, even a used one.  However, there seem to be a lot of happy SA Milspec owners.  Beware SA's QA, though.  It has not been the greatest lately.

BobCole says the same about Colt. Personaly I'd be happy with either one. Even if all my 1911's are Colt

When looking to buy a handgun treat it like buying a new car. Look under the hood, kick the tires and work the action. If it don't look or sound right pass on it and go to another untill you find one your happy with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top