Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 7:17:11 PM EDT
As some of you may recall I have been working on using a Beretta 96 Vertec as a carry piece to replace my G23.

So far, after 600 rounds I am average to subpar with it.  Yesterday the sweetie and I are out blazing away at Shoot N See targets from about 20 yards.  Mine looks like a .40 S&W shotgun pattern.  So just for grins, I grap her Kimber Pro Carry II and crank out five rounds.  I had a string I could cover with my outstretched hand; good windage but need to work on elevation.

Point is, it hit me.  Gee, my first carry gun was a 1911.  I have a Colt Gov't Model I shoot extremely well.  Why not just go with the obvious and return to a handgun I shoot well.

I prefer a Commander size .45.  I like the 4-inch barrel coupled with a full-size frame.  (Used to have a Springfield Champion in SS that I had to sell for needed $$$.)  I am also a southpaw, so I require an ambi safety.

Now for your guys' help:  any thoughts on Kimber vs. Springfield vs. Para-Ord new DA 1911s?  Thanks in advance; my budget is $750, part of which will come from hawking my G23.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Either in Stainless will do, although I'd lean to the Kimber YMMV.

..........I carry a Colt Officers ACP
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the Kimber Pro-Carry...hard to beat right out of the box if you like the size.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Last mo I purchased a Colt (New Roll Mark) commander in blue.  This weapon is amazing.  This is the best handgun Colt has put out in 15 years. They have really cleaned up their act.

They are using a new throat design that will feed anything including flying ashtrays.  Fit and finish are excelent.  Most of all the thing shoots great.  At 20 yards off hand I can get a group I can cover with my fist!  All for 579 out the door!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
What does 'New Roll Mark', refering to Colt, mean?

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The New roll mark would say Colt's
instead of Colt

I just picked up a M1991A1 series 80 in Matte Blue. I really like it.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
There's plusses & minuses on all brands.

Colt has hit or miss quality, as does Para. Kimber has cast parts on some gun parts. SA isn't unheard of for cranking out the occasional lemon.

On the flip side, Colt will be worth more than the others on resale. Para does have its unique DA trigger & it is rather smooth. Kimber has a bunch of geegaws already added to the gun. SA sells more 1911s than any other brand so they must be doing something right.

FWIW, both of my 1911s are Springfields.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Colt and Kimber 1911's I find that both are very good quality, but the my 1911 of choice for carry is a Colt lightweight Commander, but now I carry a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Green_Furniture you are obviously a man of good taste

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my sweetie's Kimber, but we had to take it back to get the trigger worked on as sometimes it would lock up tight.  

No, that doesn't scare me off; guns are mechanical devices and things occasionally need to be tweaked.

Or I could just get a Charles Daly and with the saved $ buy another Dillon press!

I really like shooting the Kimber, which makes me lean that way...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I gotta say free advice is worth what you pay for it.  SA and Kimber have definitely cranked out as many, if not more, lemons than Para and Colt.  If you're buying a *new* guy then my choice would be a Para in this price range.  Right now Para has the best customer service in the business, and they're producing a good product.

OTOH, if you can afford another $250, I'd look at an STI Ranger II.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I recently purchase a S&W1911 and am completely satisfied with it. Some say they are overpriced. I know I paid ~$200 less than the Kimber model I was looking at. The Wilson Combats were outta my price range from the beginning.

The Smith has some excellent components on it and mine hasn't failed to feed or extract yet. Well it did fail to feed ~10 out of 100 rnds of Rem UMC ball ammo. All other ammo has run thru her without a hitch. Sig also has a new 1911 model out. If it's built like their other guns it should be a tank.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Kimber and it's a pretty fair gun for the money, especially given all the upgrades included.  

If you want a subcompact I would recommend Kimber, SA's seem rather hit or miss (though their Commander- and full-sizes are generally good).

ParaOrdnance also makes a pretty good gun, but they use plenty of MIM parts as well.  This may or may not be a problem for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
several of the bama guys carry kimber compacts and love them. I carry a SA ultra compact. The kimber is definantly a more refind gun. Both seem to function 100% and shoot about the same.

I look at them as the kimber is a functional work of art where my SA is a tool.

mike

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've got Colts, Springfields, Paras and Kimbers.

Carry a Kimber CDP Compact II every single day.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still pick the Kimber.

www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/compactcdp_II.jpg

4" barrel, w'smaller "Officer's" grip.

We have a winner....

I carry the same gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Wilson Stealth

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wilson Stealth

www.wilsoncombat.com/images/shops/city/products/WSDS-A-A.jpg

We have a new winner... if you can afford it.

I have a Wilson Protector and really like it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone like the Colt Defender?

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes I think we split hairs when it comes to guns but that's a good thing.

Kimber Eclipse Pro II here myself........

will have to admit I bought a SA1911A1 to have something a little less expensive and have been very impressed with it.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to just name the ones we really don't like.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sometimes I think it would be easier to just name the ones we really don't like.

Then perhaps just read this thread backwards?

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Kimbers do have nice standard features.  It just gripes me that ambi safeties are not standard on 1911's as they are on say Berettas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]
One other question, guys.  I was looking at Colt's website.  What is the XSE series?  I see they have a Commander, which is my favorite size .45.

No prices given, so I don't know if these are bargain basement models, high-end, or just standard Colts.  

Steer me to the light, please!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
it is a very tough choice.  i know some springfield can be 350 nib.  unfortunately, these cheap deal can be lemon. the store near me sells for 499.  

i like the size of springfield militec.  however, i like the look of kimber.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Valtro
It is not in your price range or size but I wanted to post it. [:0]

NoKArma
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Valtro
It is not in your price range or size but I wanted to post it. [:0]
www.valtrousa.com/photogallery/tisevaltrothumbnail.jpg
NoKArma

From what i have read about these pistols, they are an excellent product, but I have never seen one at any of the gun shows or shops. I have never had one in my hands for close inspection.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Make sure you check out the NRM Colts before you buy anything else. IMO Colt is turning into a success story much like Harley Davidson did. I love my new Defender and have carried my NRM Commander now for a year or so..... when I get the ~ gunfund ~ back up I am either going to pick up a Series 70 or maybe a 38 super. Just my .02 and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Make sure you check out the NRM Colts before you buy anything else. IMO Colt is turning into a success story much like Harley Davidson did. I love my new Defender and have carried my NRM Commander now for a year or so..... when I get the ~ gunfund ~ back up I am either going to pick up a Series 70 or maybe a 38 super. Just my .02 and worth every penny.

How does your Defender preform?   Does it feed well?  The early ones had problems with FTF, FTE, and stove piping.  I like the new grip.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#28]
My Defender runs just fine. That new dimpled feedramp seems to gobble everything right up. I fact, I had not heard that about them.   Actually, I am waiting on Brownells to ship me my new Alumigrips. I usually like the Hogues ( I have them on my Hi-power and CZ75 ), but I wanted something thinner for my little colt. We will see.
The Alumigrips are getting rave reviews on 1911dotcom.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My Defender runs just fine. That new dimpled feedramp seems to gobble everything right up. I fact, I had not heard that about them.   Actually, I am waiting on Brownells to ship me my new Alumigrips. I usually like the Hogues ( I have them on my Hi-power and CZ75 ), but I wanted something thinner for my little colt. We will see.
The Alumigrips are getting rave reviews on 1911dotcom.

Thanks much for the Defender update!  Its now on my list.                    
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I put a set of the grey/green Alumagrips on my stainless S&W1911 and really like the way it looks and feels. A little cold as compared to wood but a good substantial feel none the less. Don't know how much abuse they'll take before the paint chips off and shows shiny aluminum underneath though. I'll find out one day I'm sure.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I just reread my posts....I sure come off as a cheerleader  huh?

I am glad you liked the green grips....I didn't have enough nerve to order them, although I think they'd match the alloy fram on the Defender the best.

When I get this brownell order and install the beavertail grip on my Commander I will post a pic. I just put some Ivory grips from Nutmeg on it and I think it's the most beautiful gun in the world.... I must be getting old...a plain blue steel gun with plain ivory grips...

Retro dude
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]

a plain blue steel gun with plain ivory grips...[;P]

To me there's something alluring about a deep, rich blued pistol with wooden grips. Even more retro dude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top