Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 7:31:31 AM EDT
Im sure that this has been on here before, but I'm new... What would you say is the best polymer framed handgun for SHTF.... Im looking to buy a new one, I was thinking a USP tactical, but I have never shot one and no ranges in my area have them for rent. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, the USP grip is too fat. I don't like the angle on the Glocks.  

I bought a Springfield XD-40. Some people had troubles with a bit of surface rust on the slide.  I had mine Gun Koated. It is the one I carry out the door 99% of the time.  Very accurate, uses Sig sights, standard acc rail, much better trigger pull than the Glocks. Very safe.  It is a better pistol than my Sigs.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The one that fits YOU, the one the YOU shoot well.

I chose the USP.  Others choose the Glock.  Others choose the SW99 or P99.  Etc......

Best???

That's too subjective to say, and anyone who tries to convince you that THEIR selection is the correct one is an idiot.

How about a nice 1911???

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The USP compact fits me better than the full sized USPs.

I too don't like the Glocks angle.

See what fits you best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The Walther P99 is a good option too...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, the STAR UltraStar is hands down the best polymer handgun ever made and perhaps the best Compact handgun as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a SigPro 2340, and a Glock model 35. Sold both as I didn't care for the feel or takedown. My preference is the XD40. The wife has an XD9, also. My $.02.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im sure that this has been on here before, but I'm new... What would you say is the best polymer framed handgun for SHTF.... Im looking to buy a new one, I was thinking a USP tactical, but I have never shot one and no ranges in my area have them for rent. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

I have a Walther P99 in .40 and I like it a lot. Doesn't seem as bulky as the Glock. I like the QA feature.

Before this I owned a 6906 and a 70 series Colt. I reloaded for both. Frankly, I like the Walther best of the three for a defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The Glock is the top selling polymer handgun. It probably out sells all the comptition combined. It is also the choice of competition shooters for USPSA/IPSC, and IDPA. The two dominant pistols at these atches are 1911's and Glocks. The Glock has a low bore axis, and one of the best double action style triggers, with a short trigger reset that make it great for rapid fire shooting.

I like the XD9, but it does have a higher bore axis and longer trigger reset. Still it's a very good pistol.

The S&W p99/Walter p99 are ok, except I hate guns with euopean controls. I like my mag release on the side, not under or against the trigger guard. The Glock has amercanized controls so the mag release and slide release/lock are where you would expect them if your muscle memory tells you they should be if you shoot other pistols such as 1911's, brownings, etc.

I don't care for the HK USP because they have among the highest bore axis and a terrible double action trigger. The Gun flips quite a bit more violently when you rapid fire. This is not a issue if all you do is slow fire at a traditionl shooting range. You also get a shorter barrel in a fairly large gun when you compare it to a glock.

Still the most important thing is what gun points and shoots well for you. The above is just my experience and preferences.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, great info!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the USP and its ability to be carried condition one. The grip width and angle of the compacts really fit my hand well. It has also never failed me, ever. I shot my friend's Glock and I really didn't like the way it handled. The P99 is a fine gun also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely one that is reliable, and that you can shoot. Everything else is a personal choice IMO.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Definitely one that is reliable, and that you can shoot. Everything else is a personal choice IMO.

Well put.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.....

Thanks

Quoted:

I chose the USP. Others choose the Glock. Others choose the SW99 or P99. Etc......

Best???

That's too subjective to say, and anyone who tries to convince you that THEIR selection is the correct one is an idiot.

Ed, don't you think this was the much simpilar answer then the long posts you have going in the Glock section?

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.....

Thanks

Quoted:

I chose the USP. Others choose the Glock. Others choose the SW99 or P99. Etc......

Best???

Ed, don't you think this was the much simpilar answer then the long posts you have going in the Glock section?

Of course it is....sadly it's actually the truth.  No matter how much one person likes the Glock's features, or the 1911's, or a Lorcin, it still won't matter if the guy buying it can't shoot it well.

I still think only an assclown would blame a gun for his poor shooting though....
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#16]
i prefer the XD
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the USP.  It is the one handgun that shoots most natural for me.  I also have a Glock and I am nowhere as accurate with it.  the trigger on the glock really sucks.  I know there are connectors and things to get for it, I just haven't.  
The double action on my USP is better than the one on the glock, and I only have to work the double action once. all following shots are single.  It is longer but smoother.  I have a match trigger and very well broken in.  I am kinda spoiled by it.  The single action is very light and crisp.  If I shoot the glock and then the USP I am surprised how light it feels.

I do think the bore axis on the USP is a bit high but nothing that can't be controlled with a good grip.  I do like the simplicity of the glock.  It is also lighter than the USP and the capacity is better.  I have not given up on the glock yet.  I have been shooting the USP for years and I only have 200 rounds through my new glock.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Shivan

I know we go round and round sometimes on the glock vrs hk debate.

Yes practice and some level of skill are very important. Equipment is a factor too, although to a lesser extent. If your a competition shooter and are competing against those of equal or greater skill, every advantage is to your benifit. A 10th to a full second gained on each stage is the difference between 10th and 1st place.

When you are fighting your equipment or compensating for your equipment you are at a disavantage. It is easy to say just get a good high grip, but that is not always possible. When you shoot "slow fire" at a traditional shooting rane then you can practice your perfect stance and grip. When you shoot competition where you speed draw from holster, shoot while on the move, strong hand weak hand only, or from prone postion things just come apart. Shooting a high bore axis HK weak hand only while leaning around a baricade is much more difficult than with a glock, cleaning a plate rack at speed is also a bit slower.

Equipment is no substition for skill or practice, but it is still a advantage. That can be said in every sport, and life in general.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a Springfield Armory XD9 and I like it a lot.  It shoots straight, goes 'bang' every time I pull the trigger, feels nice in my hand, and points relatively well.  Definitely something to look in to, given the great prices that XDs tend to go for.

That stated, there are countless people and reams of data that state Glocks are good handguns, and I won't disagree.  The Glock 21 (only one I've ever actually fired) was a lot heftier than I liked, but it was accurate and reliable--and reliability is what the Glock reputation is built on.  My own personal opinions about their company's politics aside, they are generally firearms that you can trust.

As a closing aside, Guns & Ammo had an article about how the XD was just as good, if not a wee tad better in select areas...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, since the best handgun is the 1911, logic follows that the best poly framed handgun would be a poly framed 1911, like the Wilson KZ45.

That depends on your defenition of "SHTF" though... do you mean urban riots, or post-apocalyptic social breakdown? When I hear SHTF, that (to me) means long term, which means durability, availability of parts, ammo, mags, etc...  In the sense of a poly framed handgun, that pretty much exclusively defines the Glock 17 or 19.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
My selection is the P99 .40 with Ti. slide.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm partial to my USP compact.  That's the gun I'd trust above all others.  I really wish I could get used to Glocks because I wouldn't mind picking up a G19.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
You owe it to yourself to check out the Steyr polymer pistols.  The M40 and M9 are excellent pistols.  Some folks complain about the trapezoidal rear sight (which brackets the triangular front sight).  Give it an honest try, and you may find that these odd looking sights are actually faster to acquire.  And if they turn out to be slow for you, swap them out.  The Steyr design retains Glock-like simplicity of operation, but adds the feature of an additional safety (which is very unobtrusive and can be easily ignored if you wish.. which is my personal preference).  One of the added benefits of the Steyr is cost... which is very low.  
As I recall (and most folks probably know), before Springfield began marketing the pistol that is now referred to as the XD, it was called the H-S 2000, and sold for $249.  It may be a great gun, but I am not sure how the enhanced rollmarking has doubled the value of the gun.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
German made P99 in 40 or 9mm for me. IMO, the european style mag release on it is the best out there.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Whatever the doctor will let you have Milsurp.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#26]
By far the best polymer framed handgun I own is my HK P9S.  That's not to say it's the best overall gun with a plastic handle, but it will outshoot my P7M8 anyday (and like all other P7 owners, I thought the P7 was the most accurate around....It was until I shot a P9S.)

The P9S also easily beat every other handgun in the accuracy tests in the XM-9 trials.

I've owned Glocks, and they were good guns, but I didn't like them personally.  I tried hard to, but I just don't like them.  Never had a problem, never a jam, just didn't feel right.

I've owned USPs and they worked fine to, but they were the size of bricks (all mine were full-size).

I'm right now really leaning towards either a P99 or a XD.  I've shot neither, so I have no useful input on them.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top