Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2003 7:24:47 PM EDT
I found this at clipdraw.com and it looks like a good idea, but.........does anyone have any experience with it?  it's a spring clip that attaches to your pistol or revolver and permits "mexican carry" without letting your pistol go sliding down your leg.  any concerns about the trigger not being guarded?  any advantages a holster offers over this?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
-No One- has ever used this?  wow.  It looks

like such a cool idea, I thought someone would

have at least tried it or knew of someone who

had.  The only thing I can imagine is that the

pistol might not stay exactly where it's put,

or may tilt on the waistband.  It seems like

it would eliminate that clumsy holster feel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless it’s your absolute only choice for a mode of carry I would avoid “clip draw” like the plague. For my uses a holster has to fulfill certain requirements such as..... Does the gun stay in place so I can have a consistency in my draw stroke? Not only when I’m standing but when I’m sitting, running, fighting, possibly fighting from the ground or other less than optimal positions. I do not want the gun shifting position or moving around.... especially in a fight. Is the trigger guard covered? Is it reasonably secure from an attempted grab? Is the gun easily accessible with both my strong side and support side hand? There maybe more but these are just a few that, IMO, clip draw doesn’t meet to well.

In addition to clip draw not being secure as what is require for daily carry, clip draw generally places the gun too deep inside ones waistband which will detract greatly from the speed of ones draw and limit ones access to the weapon. Take a look at a well designed IWB from a variety of makers and, in addition to being very secure, one thing that you will notice is that the butt of the gun rides reasonably high above the belt line. This height can differ from one model of holster to the next but all will have generous clearance between the gun and the belt line (which on most IWB holsters is what retains the gun). The reason for that clearance is to allow the user greater access to the weapon and greater presentation speed. A good guide line I have found for IWB holsters is that the higher the gun rides the faster the presentation will be and the less the chance one will fumble the draw stroke.

I would urge you to try a few good IWB holsters from makers such as Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi, Josh Bulman, Mitch Rosen, Matt DelFatti, etc. before you go out and waste your hard earned dollars on a “device” that I would only be willing to arm my enemies with. All of the aforementioned holster makers produce a variety of quality IWBs that I think you will find very comfortable and a step above any bent piece of sheet steel pretending to be a viable mode of carry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top