Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 12:24:36 PM EDT
I'm heading to tulsa this weekend and I'll be looking into purchasing some type of 9mm handgun, Probably a Glock. I want something that will be reliable, accurate and ALL BLACK. I also want to get it for around $400-500.

Should I even look at used guns or just try and find a new one?

What should I watch out for?

What kinda gun would you suggest?

Thanks Guys
Jerad
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually buy most of my guns used.  I wouldn't be afraid of a used Glock, or any of the upper echelon of 9mms.  Try several different makes on for size, see which one fits you best.  There is quite a variety out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate Glocks (ugliest gun made IMHO and they do not fit my hand well), but they ARE accurate and reliable. Seems you wouldn't go wrong there, but for about the same price you could look at SIGs or a Beretta. And don't go for the BS about the Beretta POSSIBLY going off when removing it from a holster-I have a 92FS and I've tried MANY times to get it to fire by moving the trigger bar and it just won't happen-hammer down OR cocked. The 92FS is a large handgun for the 9MM, so it handles the recoil very well. And a friend of a friend of mine that is an armorer for the local Sheriff's Dept. claims that SIGS are the most accurate handguns "right out of the box". Other than that, my 1911A1 was also had for the amount in your price range. Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Glocks are great handguns. Very popular for pistol competitions, law enforcement, etc. Probably the best selling pistol presently, and for a reason. The are reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Glocks have a mushy as soft shit trigger. Other than that, they're pretty good guns.

A Beretta 92FS is all black. H&K is out of your price range but they're all black too.

As for buying used, other than a cracked frame or busted slide, anything else can be fixed quickly. I've bought 80% of my guns used & not had any real problem.

If you do buy a used gun, replace the recoil springs with new ones ASAP. Peace of mind & all that.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
When you go looking for a new pair of pants or boots what's the first requirement?

THEY HAVE TO FIT !!!!

Check out different makes and models untill you find one that fits, then shop for the best price
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can, take a look at an EAA Witness (with the STEEL frame). They are a very close copy of a CZ75, only better (IMHO). As with the Beretta, it's fairly large (and also fairly heavy), but fits most hands very well. They're fairly accurate, VERY reliable, and 15rd factory magazines are cheap ($35). And they also have a FRAME-mounted safety! (I consider that last a requirement, as well as an exposed hammer, but that's just me) You should be able to find one NIB for less than $400

Aside from this plug for the EAA, what SGB said.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with a glock 19.new about 500 used about 400.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm heading to tulsa this weekend and I'll be looking into purchasing some type of 9mm handgun, Probably a Glock. I want something that will be reliable, accurate and ALL BLACK. I also want to get it for around $400-500.

Should I even look at used guns or just try and find a new one?

What should I watch out for?

What kinda gun would you suggest?

Thanks Guys
Jerad

May I suggest one or two?  Check out either a CZ75B  or a Walther P99.  I own both and I would depend on one or the other to defend my life, if needed...

thedr    
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Springfield XD-9 (Formerly known as HS-2000).  Right price range, brand new, crisper trigger than a glock (to me at least), and use the .40cal mags, trust me.HTH
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
If you buy a Glock especially a used one get a 17.  Many police departments have had troubles with the 19 blowing up including the NYPD.  Some of this has been corrected supposively on the new 19's.  I hate the two stage triggers, if you have to have one find a used sig p226.  If you like one stage triggers find a colt 45.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a glock 19 it's not the new one with the barrel porting, however I got it from an individual so no Paperwork:) I doubt it's had a whole box of shells through it, she looks great. It came with 1 High Cap, 3 Factory 10's and True Dot Night Sights for $450. I also Purchased a Streamlight Light/Lazer M-6 attachment.

Thanks guys I've got pics, but I can't figure out how to post the pics.

Jerad
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
here is the pics

http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/500/24251Guns_037-med.jpg

http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/500/24251Guns_031-med.jpg

http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/500/24251Guns_042.jpg
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#13]
My first handgun was a Glock 19.  It works great for concealed carry as well as target shooting.  I have put at least 1,000 rounds down range without a single problem.  It is my Old Reliable so to speek.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
here is the pics

Awesome price!  Where did you get the case at?  I really like that one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Ahh, forget the rest.  Find you a CZ75B.  9mm, hicaps available, very comfortable grip (just a little wider than a 1911 with standard grips), good trigger, DA/SA like a Beretta, but no decocker, so you can carry Condition 1.  Accurate.  

And if you want to practice with cheap ammo, for a couple C notes, you can get the Kadet .22lr conversion.  I've heard they're crazy accurate.  

I got a CZ75 a little over a month ago.  About 400 rounds through it so far, with only 3 hitches.  (one magazine sometimes locks the slide with a couple rounds left in the mag... I marked it and will test it out soon) I found a guy on Gunbroker that sells 15rd mags for $26.  He sent me 2 for $45.  They look great, but I haven't tested them out.

Czimply put, get a CZ.  You won't regret it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
you might take a look at a ruger p97dc.  very accurated, "deadly" reliable.  mcole
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
 Jerad, you are asking for advice about what gun to buy?

This is the best gun in the world :

http://www.dgroup.com/dg_graphics/hellglock.jpg
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
>>If you buy a Glock especially a used one get a 17. Many police departments have had troubles with the 19 blowing up including the NYPD.<<
Let's try to be accurate here.  Very few police departments have had troubles with the 19 blowing up, and in those very few departments they have had very few 19s blow up, statistically no different from many other major gun types.  NYPD was having problems with a particularly nasty malfunction, not with exploding guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Before you buy a Glock, just remember this:

Today computers can do just that. A computer can't make the ultimate call, but they can narrow the work down to a point where manual examination is feasible. ATF is now making this computer technology available to police authorities around the country through the National Integrated Ballistics Identification Network (NIBIN). This network is a joint effort between ATF and the FBI to provide the latest technology to our state and local partners. Under this arrangement ATF will be responsible for the ballistics technology and the FBI will provide the computer network that will join the state and local systems together. Currently this provides a valuable tool for law enforcement authorities that will allow us to associate a suspect or a firearm with seemingly unrelated crimes. The future of this technology offers even greater potential. ATF is currently conducting a pilot project with Glock, wherein they will capture digital image a test fire shell casing for handgun they manufacture. That image will be associated with the serial number of the firearm in a computer database. Later if a shell casing is recovered at a crime scene it could be compared against the Glock database. This comparison could lead to the identification of the exact weapon that fired the round. Without ever recovering a firearm ATF could then trace the weapon used in the crime.

If you don’t believe me, go to this address:
http://www.atf.gov/press/speech/fy00/040700ggdsymposium.htm

This has been going of for some time, at least as far back as 2000, so even a used Glock probably is in this database.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top