Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 11:02:29 AM EDT
I'm looking for a revolver for night stand duty for my mom. I chose this over a semi due to simplicity and no worry about springs when leaving it loaded.

The only revolver I have any experiance with is a Ruger SP101 with a short 2 inch (i think) barrel. A little bit longer barrel would be ok for my mom, its not going to be a CC piece.

It needs to be a .357 and have a mid length barrel. Any brand would be ok, im not looking to favor brands, I just want the best revolver for the job.

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
`Well you really need to get her involved. What we think really doesn't matter half as much as what she thinks.

A few questions that she needs to consider though are:

Does she really want 357Mag? Having a bunch of power is nice, if she finds that she can control it adequately. I know that my mom was far more comfortable shooting 38Special or 45acp than 357 Mag.

Which grip fits her best and gives her the best control. Again, control is more important than almost all the other considerations. Let her hold and shoot as many different grip sizes as possible and pick the frame SHE shoots best.

Let her play with opening the cylinder and reloading. For example, on some makes you pull the latch back, on others you push it forward. Find out which feels most natural to HER.

The SP101 and the Smith J frames have small grips and may find them hard to control.

The Ruger GP series, Smith K & L series and Colt D and E series have larger grips.

The Smith N series and the Dan Wessons have large grips.

But more than anything, you need to find the gun, the grip and the caliber that SHE feels most comfortable with and shoots the best. Don't worry about the caliber. Even a 22 will take care of most situations and if she plunks a couple 22 or 25 rounds in the average home invader they will split posthaste.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W 586 or 686 w/7 rounds...Start her w/38, then 38+ the 357 mags...The weight makes ait a pussycat-I have 2 in our speed safes-1 for me another for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was planning on loading it with 38's, but might as well have the capability to fire 357.

I will definately take her with me when I go to buy it so she can handle it first to make sure its comfortable. She has shot my G19 and the recoil wasn't an issure so I figured she should be comfortable with a 38.

What is the differance between the 586 and 686?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The 586 is blued, the 686 is not a real Smith. Smiths are blued.

One other thing, there definitely is a difference between shooting a 38 and shooting 38 out of a 357. Many of us that have both firmly believe that the 38 is about the best balanced handgun made. For example, I find that my Detective Special is near perfect and my model 10s are more accurate than my 19s, 27s or 28s.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
A S&W model 60 with a 3" barrel is a good gun. Ruger or Taurus are also options.

Don't overrule a .44spl, recoil is less than .357mag & it makes a nice big hole.    
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger GP100 with 3" Brl and Fixed sights, loaded with .38Spec 158Gn (+P) LSWC HP.

If that is too big then the Ruger SP101 with 2" Brl loaded with .38 Spec 148Gn HBWC.

I recoomend those two guns becuase they are heavy for their caliber, and therefore are low recoil. A S&W Model 10 with as 4" Bull Brl is another good low recoil handgun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ruger GP100 with 3" Brl and Fixed sights, loaded with .38Spec 158Gn (+P) LSWC HP.

If that is too big then the Ruger SP101 with 2" Brl loaded with .38 Spec 148Gn HBWC.

I recoomend those two guns becuase they are heavy for their caliber, and therefore are low recoil. A S&W Model 10 with as 4" Bull Brl is another good low recoil handgun.

I couldn't agree more. Also, if she liked the Glock 19 and has the strength to manipulate the slide, don't try to turn her away from it. The Glock 19 makes a very good pistol for women and men alike. Whatever she gets, make sure she gets lots of practice and is very familiar with the weapon.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
How about one of those new 44 mag airlite scandium pieces? jk... Go look and see if the airlite or lady smiths are available in 3" barrels in DAO. I would think that would make the perfect piece for most any woman.

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top