Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 1:54:07 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of you guys have had new triggers put on your 1911's, and specifically, if any of you guys w/ SA Mil-Specs have done it.  If so, which ones did you go w/, and how to you like them?  How much of a difference will it make w/ the trigger pull, and does it make it lighter, harder, or the same?  I was looking for something that's more crisp, and that doesn't have the annoying vertical grooves the my SA Mil-Spec has.  After putting about 200 rds down range and a day, it starts to bother me...and I'd like something smoother.  

Finally, is this something I can install w/ a relative amount of ease, or do I need a good working knowledge of my 1911 (i.e. I should have a gunsmith do it.)?

Thanks in advance...Here's the one I was thinking of going w/.  It's $15.95 from Wilson Combat.  

www.wilsoncombat.com/store.cgi?&shop=city&cart=23554166x5296&session=3ef81d5314b06876&L=eng&P=1
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't laugh...I took the one from my Colt 1991-A1 and used it in my Springfield.
The grooves, edges and setscrew hole from the fancy ones bother my finger.
The plastic is less temperature sensitive and is smooth.
And yes, I tried/modified almost all the brands.
Changing a trigger has little to do with "let off"...now your talking sear and hammer...tweaking some springs.
One part you should be careful with...the mag release.
That is NOT a small screw on the right side, don't break it.
Push the mag button in and rotate that "screw" 1/4 turn CC...it should then fall out.
A little in & out movement on the mag release, while turning the screw will give you a "feel" when it rotates more easily.
You can do that with the gun fully assembled (empty of course) to practice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider a short trigger. Depending on how big your hands are, it will possibly serve you better. It's like the A1 and A2 stock argument. Anybody can use and A1 length, even if it is a little short. Only a few may benefit from the longer pull of the A2. Same holds true for a 1911 trigger.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Midwayusa has the SA adjustable for a very nice price....now I got to figure out how to put it in.......
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
anothergene,

I did the same thing.  I don't like the sharper edges on the Milspec trigger.  A buddy had the plastic trigger from a 1991A1 and gave it to me.  It's smoother and it works fine.  I might get one with an overtravel screw, as this one doesn't have one.  

I want to try to keep it all milspecy, so no fancy stainless triggers or nothing...

Hound.

You gotta take it all apart.  It's very easy.  I think www.m1911.org has a detail strip the pistol.  It's pretty easy.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Consider a short trigger. Depending on how big your hands are, it will possibly serve you better. It's like the A1 and A2 stock argument. Anybody can use and A1 length, even if it is a little short. Only a few may benefit from the longer pull of the A2. Same holds true for a 1911 trigger.

Is the Wilson Combat one I posted a short trigger?  What are some companies that make short triggers?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the late reply, gone all weekend.

I don't think the Wilson is a short trigger. If you're like the rest of us and regularly get tooled by Brownell's, they have several to choose from. It will say 'short' or 'long' in the description.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Matthew....very good instructions. I recieved my trigger and guide rod....I did not like the guide rod and am waiting to send it back...the trigger is still on my desk.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont you need to change more than just the trigger to make the pull better or more crisp?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Correct, whywork, sometimes a lot more, depending on use, needs and how much time and money you want to put into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top