Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 12:20:52 PM EDT
I picked up a Guardian Duce today (couldn't turn it down at the $425 price tag), and I was wondering if anyone has any info about these.  Did a Google search but didn't turn up much info.

It's the adjustable sight version, and has a Jarvis Match grade barrel, long adjustable match trigger, crisp 3# trigger pull, and a nice set of Rosewood grips.  I can't tell from the little info I've found if this is just standard stuff.  Is the frame forged or cast? It seems the DW no longer makes these, but I'll give the factory a call and see if any onfo is available about the gun (Serial # DWE02XX).

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
check here Dan Wesson 1911's
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Posted there, too. Got some good info.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
They're made in the Phillipines. Same factory that makes the Rock Island Armory 1911s
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They're made in the Phillipines. Same factory that makes the Rock Island Armory 1911s

I think you may be thinking of Charles Daly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
A board member here (Counterstrike/Phil) actually works for Dan Wesson assembling .45s. Thus, I'm pretty sure they aren't imported. The DW guns I have handled seem well-made.

The factory is roughly 70 miles from my home. I'm planning on a trip to their retail store hopefully accompanied with a factory tour at some point this summer. They supposedly have "factory seconds" 1911s with minor cosmetic imperfections at a very good price at the outlet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe,

I saw them at the 2002 SHOT show and they looked just like the Charles Daly 1911s, they had a ripoff of the Novak rear right and they didn't look that great. I just can't see a 1911 being made in this country for $425. Who knows, I could be wrong
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok I just looked at their sight and it looks like they're getting some parts from McCormick like the sights, hammers, safties, triggers, still not sure about the frames though. Might be McCormick as well. I may stand totally corrected
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe,

I saw them at the 2002 SHOT show and they looked just like the Charles Daly 1911s, they had a ripoff of the Novak rear right and they didn't look that great. I just can't see a 1911 being made in this country for $425. Who knows, I could be wrong

This one is used. MSRP is $699 and most of the Internet sites that have them sell them for ~ $620.

I bought it because it seemed like a good deal for a used gun.

Forged slide
Cast frame
Millet rear adjustable sight
Interchangable front sight
Chip McCormick trigger, hammer, sear, grip safety, slide stop, extended safety, extended mag release, beavertail.

Don't know who the did the mainspring housing, previous owner changed out the CMC flat housing for the arched one in the picture and the Ahrend Rosewood grips. The mainspring housing will be replaced when I place my next Brownell's order with an S&A flat housing with magwell.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe,

It says on their web page that all their frames are made in the US.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one of the Dave Pruit Pointman series. It is a custom gun that Pruit did for Dan Wesson, don't know how many were made. Ramped match barell , full length guide rod etc. extremely accurate. I shot it in an IDPA match last weekend and it was flawless.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen a lot of great reviews of the DW 1911's Actually saw an outstanding review of one of the new 5 inch guns yesterday with a lot of 1-1.5inch averages at 50ft.

But I really think all gunwriters are SCUM and I don't know what the review really means in view of this obvious fact.

I know one thing if I was buying another 1911 it would be a DW with Bomar sights and a Jarvis barrel....

then an S&A magwell fronstrap checkering and Night sights and it would look like a custom gun and if I was lucky shoot the same for less $ than a Kimber goldmatch.

But right now my 1911 project is in limbo awaiting the sale of my current barrel so I can get a new barrel and ship it out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Made a few mods to the Duce. S&A Magwell, Ahrends Rosewood grips, ambi safety (which I normally don't do, but the scratch marks were already there). Trying out that Wilson front strap checkering add-on. Never tried one before.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, buy how does it SHOOT???
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Only the entry level models are made in the Philipines. This one the frame and slide are actually done by Smith & Wesson, just like the Kimbers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top