Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 3:11:23 PM EDT
Ok,
So I have a Glock 19 in about 95+% condition.  After shooting my Springfield "loaded" I've come to realize that "Tupperware" is just not for me (Don't get me wrong, I intend NO flames.  I know Glocks are good guns, but for a range/safe queen, I'd rather have steel), so I'm gonna trade it.  I'll probably want to stick to 9mm (it's not for CCW) for purposes of cheap practice (except in the case of the revolvers)  Anyway...
I've narrowed it down to these.....

Browning Hi-Power... I love single action triggers.  It's a classic design, reliable and accurate.  Inexpensive good quality hi-caps are available.

CZ 75...reliable, sturdy, accurate (as is the Hi-power) and it too is "cock-and-lock-able" and has a good supply of hi-caps and accessories too.

SW 686...don't have a .357

Ruger GP100..Had one, loved it.  Like a dumbass, I traded it about 6 years ago...

So what would you pick and why? Help me out here guys!!!!

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll forgive the tupperware reference since it was used to describe a glock but you should really fire an XD9 before you give up on polymer pistols since the XD series shares the same grip angle and safty that the classic 1911 does.  Try one!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a 9mm and like 1911's get a Springfield 9mm 1911.  I've got one that I shoot a lot just because its cheap practice when I don't want to shoot my Para Ordance .40.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Green,
Yeah I forgot to mention the XD.  I've handled a couple of 'em and they are NICE (despite the Tupperware" lol). Right now, that's the only polymer pistol I'd probably consider.

Rich
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Of the ones you narrowed it down to....

The 686 would get my vote.  The GP100 is nice too.  I can't stand the ergonomics of the CZ's, they feel weird to me.  Personal preference.

The Browning's are OK, but I'd rather have a Teutonic H&K or SIG...

H&K USP's are polymer...I'd take one of them over any gun you listed or that has been suggested.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you asked, here's my .02

MUST HAVE HANDGUNS

Colt 1911 (commander, officers, fullsize - whatever just so it's a Colt and it's a .45)

HK USP in 9mm

Browning Hi-Power  a natural pointer, and an original classic.

~~~~~~~~~~~``

after you get these 2, then you can move down to the "also rans"

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a glock guy too, but recently I've been longing for a pistol with a littlt more panache; and like you, I love single actions.  I have just about settled on a nickel CZ75b.  I like them over the High Power because the slide rides in the frame not on the frame.  This keeps the slide from biting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
How about Springfield Armory 1911-A1 9mm model #P19134L Stainless Steel, Fully adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How about Springfield Armory 1911-A1 9mm model #P19134L Stainless Steel, Fully adjustable sights.

Now that I like!....But no Hi-cap.

If you go with 9mm, you got to go Hi-cap. If you have nothing against Beretta, the Vertec is nice and plenty of Hi-cap on the market.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You might want to take a look at the Sig, great triggers and sight systems, I love my P239 in 9x19...just can't beat the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
agreed, ever put your hands on a sig? the second you pick it up you know its solid
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Browning Hi-power hands down.

THe Browning HP is easy to point, accurate, recoil is mild, mag capacity is 13-15-17rds if you buy from CDNNinvestments.com, easy to dissasemble, has a safety, and has a nice single action trigger.

I have owned two hi-powers and both grouped under 7inches at 25yds offhand standing. From a bench they will shoot under 4 inches at 25yds.

The Sig 220 I owned would only shoot well if I concentrated on really getting the web of my hand into the backstrap of the gun since the sig has  a deeply relieved backstrap.

And if you get the bug to do something to it- cylinder and slide and novak will do almost anything to a HP whereas the SIG can get a new set of grips
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I would vote for a Sig. I have a 228(226 with a shorter barrel) love it and plenty of hi-caps on the market. Also the M-11 of our military! My .02  tivoli
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,
I picked up the Hi Power last week.  I got it home stripped it (easy as pie.....Mmmmmmm pie) and cleaned her.  Thing is slicker'than snot.  Took her out for her maiden voyage the other day and put 250 rounds through her.  Not a single burp...AND I shoot her better way better than I ever shot my Glock.  I LOVE IT!!!!  Now all I need is a new set of grips, the factory MkIII grips blow.  Micarta here I come!  

Course, next weekend I pick up my NIB 1990 (NO Key LOCK ) S&W 625.  WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!
R
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The Browning is a great choice. It was my first centerfire pistol. I just qualified with my SIG 229 and I know I would have done much better if I had used the Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Browning or a Ruger P-89.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd get the Ruger GP100.

I recently got a KGP141 (stainless 4"), and I LOVE it!  It's solid as a rock, and it's pretty damn accurate.   My first wheelgun.  

She's comfortable and pretty... I can shoot full power .357 loads without feeling like my wrist is going to break.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
get the cz. it's a great value IMHO
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah,
I used to have a GP100 just like that one.  Like a dumbass I traded it.  Ain't hindsight a bitch?!  Anyway, I thought about pickin another one up (or the SP101...gotta be the ballsiest snubby out there), or if I shop I checked out last week still has it, I might pick up a minty S&W 27 4".
I had a Ruger P85 (my first handgun).  GOD what a POS that was.  All I can say is I hope Ruger got it better with the P89's etc.

Rich
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're thinking about a Browning HP, give some thought to the Arcus-94 pistols.  I have two of them.  This pistol is supposed to be the best Browning HP clone available.  Check out Aim Surplus, they have them for $219.95.

www.aimsurplus.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top