Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 6:51:00 PM EDT
just waiting for the background check to pan out.

A couple things:

On the slide, it says "stainless" but its obviously matte black. The slide is a different shade of color than the frame. On the frame it says made in germany. The gun looks fired, as instead of having a clean oily chamber, it has carbon buildup/the dirty fired look.

I paid 629 + tax. This thing is supposed to be brand new, and although I havent disassembled it or anything, I just want to make sure that everything is A-ok, as its my first handgun :)

Ive fired alot of pistols, but never owned one.

Thanks guys

Alex

*edited for clarity
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
don't get all riled up!!! My 229 has a stainless slide which is also black. The slides are made in the US, and the frames are made in Germany. As for being oily, that's normal. read the manual carefully. give her a good cleaning and lube her up. Then go to the rage and have fun. You made a good choice, sig's are great pistols....
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The slide is blackened stainless steel.

The frame is black-dyed anodized aluminum alloy.

Most of the new guns I bought have been test fired.  There is usually a trace of copper fouling in the barrel, but the barrel itself is generally clean.  I don't think they put more than 3 or 4 rounds through them at the factory.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the ten round magazines like? Is it hell to load up the full 10 rounds?

I'm thinking Sig P226 or Browning Hi-Power right now. I wish I could get my hands on both to shoot before I buy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The slide is blackened stainless steel.

The frame is black-dyed anodized aluminum alloy.

Most of the new guns I bought have been test fired.  There is usually a trace of copper fouling in the barrel, but the barrel itself is generally clean.  I don't think they put more than 3 or 4 rounds through them at the factory.

Not only is that done, but for places like NY they require a ballistic finger print I think it is called.  Basically its a fired shell and bullet that needs to be sent to Albany or some place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]

What are the ten round magazines like? Is it hell to load up the full 10 rounds?

I dumped mine right off the bat. Factory high capacity magazines are still fairly reasonable as magazines go.

I'm thinking Sig P226 or Browning Hi-Power right now. I wish I could get my hands on both to shoot before I buy.

I have both. The HP is the berries if you like single action autos, but in a way it's kind of like a 1911: an ongoing project. Factory high capacity magazines are more expensive for the HP (which is ODD, since the HP was manufactured for close to 60 years prior to the AWB) and the SiG gets continually improved.

I like both, but I'm a little more in favor of the SiG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top