Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 1:08:33 PM EDT
Normal? When cleaning I can see a noticeable amount of fouling on one side of the cylinder face versus the other. Like the cylinder is not square with the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it shaving lead? Is accuracy ok? If yes to accuracy, then I wouldn't sweat it. If it's shaving, then you may indeed have a less-than-perfect alignment, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it shaving lead? Is accuracy ok? If yes to accuracy, then I wouldn't sweat it. If it's shaving, then you may indeed have a less-than-perfect alignment, IMO.

My .o2

Um, i shoot nothing but jacketed boolits, would it shave copper if this were the case?

Accuracy? it's a 1 7/8 inch barrel model, I'd be happy with the broad side of a barn.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Accuracy? it's a 1 7/8 inch barrel model, I'd be happy with the broad side of a barn.

Yes, accuracy. You'd be amazed at what a little J-frame can do, sir.      
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My Dad is CRAZY accurate with his S&W M37. He has been carrying that little gun for almost 40 years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The cylender spins so how is one side getting more fouling? It's impossibile unless I'm not picturing this right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The cylender spins so how is one side getting more fouling? It's impossibile unless I'm not picturing this right.

My limited engineering skills tells me the cylinder is not lined up square with the barrel area, which creates a larger gap. The larger gap is evident by the larger amount of fouling found on the cylinder face afterward. It is visible on all cylinder faces....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The topstrap of the frame deflects some of the carbon build up from the front face of the cyclinder.  Its normal on all revolvers, but its especially noticable on stainless ones.

You should only have a ring of carbon around 3/4 of the front of the chamber/cylinder area usually.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you in the valley or in the Prescott area? In the former, take it to Yost-Bonitz and ask them to check it out. In the latter, see if you can get ahold of Chuck Rogers. He knows a thing or two about revolvers, or so I am told.

And those little J-frames are supposed to be hella accurate, more accurate than most service autos. Never shot one for groups though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And those little J-frames are supposed to be hella accurate, more accurate than most service autos.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]

I mean like 3". Someday I will shoot one from the bench and find out. A mastery of trigger control and sight picture would be required.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]

You can see more fouling on one side here....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/jsinz/Jframe.jpg

You can see more fouling on one side here....

To me it looks like the bottom rings are a little darker then the top.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The rear of the barrel probably isn’t square.

When I went through the S&W revolver armorer’s school many years ago, we adjusted the barrel gap on the three revolvers we built by simply hand filing the rear end of the barrel.

I’d say a barrel adjusted like that just isn’t going to be perfectly square.

Still, this shouldn’t cause any bullet shaving.  It’ll cause unnecessary velocity loss (and side blast) if too much barrel was cut off - or it’ll cause rubbing between the cylinder and barrel if not enough was cut off.

If you look very closely at the gap from one side with the cylinder closed and with a light on the other side, you should be able to tell if the barrel is squared properly or not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm betting there's no problem. I'm betting the powder settles in the bottom of the case, resulting in the majority of the powder flash hitting the bottom of the cylinder hole in the front.

$1 bet...............................anyone?????      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top