Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 2:41:20 PM EDT
I should have my CCW in the next several months. I'm looking for a small of back holster that goes INSIDE the pants. Anyone seen these? I'm most likely going to be carrying my glock 19. I may choose a .38 later on to carry on the ankle (any good recommendations for these would also help). Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The most concealable location is not 6 o'clock, it's 4 o'clock. Sure you want an SOB?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new to this, so please help me out here - oh yeah, I'm left handed
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The most concealable location is not 6 o'clock, it's 4 o'clock. Sure you want an SOB?

Have any examples?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Comp-tac CTAC....the one and only answer for IWB (unless it's a 1911 then a MS VMII). IMHO.

Edited for links:

www.comp-tac.com

www.miltsparks.com

Oh yeah, I'm a lefty too!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
IWB?
leather: VM sparks
kydex: threat solutions UCR, CompTac, and from what i hear, sidearmor

try it at the 8, 8:30 position for left handed

lots dont recommend SOB b/c it can limit draw positions and if you fall on the gun, it can break you tail bone pretty eaisly

ankle holster: dont know, havent tried any yet--but i hear that galcos are pretty ok
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Threat Solutions UCR. Nothing else even comes close.

www.threatsolutions.com
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Galcos suck balls.  I've never been to the factory, but evidently they are built en masse by illiterate border jumpers.

Alessi and Bullman make very nice leather gear.

I'm not up on my Glock holsters, but I hearDave Vaughn makes a good one.  He can be a little hard to get ahold of though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
This is frustrating as all of hell! Thanks so much for the fast replys guys, I really appreciate it,
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont have any pictures that I can show you. Since you are a lefty, you will want an 8 o'clock holster, I'll bet. I don't know jack about left handed holsters, but for leather (not plastic) right handed holsters the ones to beat are the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, Bullman Gunleather's IWB and the Alessi PCH. With those models, a 155-165# six footer like my brother and myself can hide a full sized 1911 under a T-shirt, so long as we move properly (bend at the knees and such). I suspect that at least some of those holsters are available in LH G19 models, especially because they are custom holsters.

Thats literally all I know on the subject, but its a good start. I never really bothered to look into Glock gunleather or LH gunleather. Hopefully some lefthanded Glockers will be around shortly to expand on this.

Oh yeah, SOB holsters supposedly cause spinal injuries. Everyone seems to have a cousin/friend/coworker who is in a chair cause they fell on their gun, but I have never heard a firsthand account of such. I still don't want to research the matter the hard way!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I dont have any pictures that I can show you. Since you are a lefty, you will want an 8 o'clock holster, I'll bet. I don't know jack about left handed holsters, but for leather (not plastic) right handed holsters the ones to beat are the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, Bullman Gunleather's IWB and the Alessi PCH. With those models, a 155-165# six footer like my brother and myself can hide a full sized 1911 under a T-shirt, so long as we move properly (bend at the knees and such). I suspect that at least some of those holsters are available in LH G19 models, especially because they are custom holsters.

Thats literally all I know on the subject, but its a good start. I never really bothered to look into Glock gunleather or LH gunleather. Hopefully some lefthanded Glockers will be around shortly to expand on this.

Oh yeah, SOB holsters supposedly cause spinal injuries. Everyone seems to have a cousin/friend/coworker who is in a chair cause they fell on their gun, but I have never heard a firsthand account of such. I still don't want to research the matter the hard way!

If I have to, I'll go with a different gun. Just gives me an excuse to buy another one I'd really prefer to stick with my 19 because I'm so used to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree about the CTAC.  I love mine.   http://home.comcast.net/~saxd9/holstersmall.jpg
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]
How quick is the draw on the CTAC? The only other kydex holster I own is a pos FOBUS that requires you to jerk the piss out of it so it will come out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same questions 15 years ago.  I made the mistake of carrying SOB and it is a really bad mistake.  One, you clank whenever you sit. Two, you simply can't sit back at a restaurant or anywhere else without the gun driving you in the back. Three, every one in the know realizes you have a gun and they also know you can't get to it easilly.

I have a bunch of IWB holsters for different weapons and they ALL work.  The easiest on the pocketbook are the Uncle Mikes Nylon sleeve and they work really well.  I use on for my HK P2K.
Next is the Don Hume which I use for my Sig 226 and my High Power.
For the Commander I use a Sparks HRII one of his new holsters.
But most of the time I carry a Sig 229 in a Wild Bill No Such Agency.  It is aboslutely comfortable and is in pretty high demand.  But you have to deal with Bill, a real craftsman with no personal social skills like bookkeeping.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How quick is the draw on the CTAC? The only other kydex holster I own is a pos FOBUS that requires you to jerk the piss out of it so it will come out.

It holds it great and easy to draw.  I can run all day with it wihout worrying about it falling out but I can easily pull it out with one finger if needed.  Its my first holster but I havent found a fault with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're a lefty carrying a Glock IWB, you need to check out the DeSantis "Cozy Partner" if you're on a budget (they're like $50).  It's very comfortable at the 8 o'clock position (I agree that SoB is not a great choice for multiple reasons).

If money and/or the wait time is not an issue for you, get a Sparks VM-II.  That's where I'm headed for my 1911 since I can't recall anyone saying they don't like theirs.

I'm a lefty as well, and for us, some holsters just aren't made.  It's descrimination I tell ya!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out the selection over at FIST, inc. They make holsters on demand, left/right, leather/kydex.... whatever.

I will be putting up a review of mine shortly.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#18]
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE GET A GOOD BELT. A HOLSTER IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT A PROPER BELT TO SUPPORT IT.

i suggest a wilderness belt, ive worn one for a while now and there great.
thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/36?osCsid=a953feaa149c03ac29570c17df6f8d43

store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/teheiwb.html for leather. im left handed and have one for my px4. i wear it with the first clip at the 8:30ish position, just behind the point of the hip.

if you like kydex, tucker also makes a holster called "the answer" that is a mix of leather and kydex. if you want 100% kydex, go with Comptac.

spend the money and get a good holster. holsters like the CTAC and texas heritage are "tuckable" meaning that you can tuck a shirt in over them. this can come in quite handy.

here is my left hand holster:

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for a future holster purchase
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Good Lord, thanks for all of the replies guys. Although, it's now more complex than ever A belt? why wouldn't any old belt work? I'm only asking becuase I'm ignorant.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I own two CTAC's, one for a 92FS and one for a PPK/S

Quite frankly, I use "any 'ol belt" with it. I just got smaller clips (no problem from Comp-Tac). Never had a problem.

You will love the CTAC. Fully adjustable, easy draw but I've never had a weapon slide out when I didn't want it to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#22]
the belt supports the weight of the gun. an improper belt will not be rigid enough and will sag and "fold' over. a good quality gunbelt made of leather or nylon will make it 100x easier to conceal a large to medium framed auto. proper support at the belt help keeps the holster and gun where you want it, all day. a stable platform for the gun means less shifting, and less worrying about printing.

dress AROUND the gun. to propery conceal a large/medium frame auto you will have to have the proper clothing. a good LOOSE FITING pair of jeans for IWB, along with a undershirt (wearing a gun next to the skin is HELL) and a LONG tshirt over it (go to big and tall store and get LONG sizes if your around 6foot like me and the normal sizes just barely go below the waist) makes any gun DISAPPEAR.

you will also have to change the way you do everyday things. you cant bend over anymore. the grip of your gun will print. bend down at the knees.  you'll find a few other things as well.

i suggest tuckable holsters if only for those summer days when you only want to wear one shirt. just tuck in over the gun and your good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top