Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:19:59 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a Hi-Point pistol  probably in .45 to sit between my Sig and HK in my safe.  I mostly want one just to see what a $100 pistol is like.  I enjoyed tinkering with my P3AT in order to get it running correctly, so problems are expected.  This is going to be a novelty thing, not something I'm going to put my life on the line with.  Anybody have one and what do you think?

Hi-Point .45
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Having that sitting between an HK and a Sig is disgraceful.  At least put it on the bottom shelf or back in the corner where it never sees the light of day.  *If* you're going to drop $100 on it at least you're already familiar with the reputation that pistol has.  If it were my $100, I'd buy some new mags for your Sig and HK and say to hell with the hi-point.  I used their "working man's 9mm carbine" and the internals collapsed on me.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The performance of a Hi-Point can only be rivaled by its looks

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/rud56a.jpg

Well, at least it has a rail, I think.  That might just be an unexplainable protusion.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The hi-point 9mms are great for what the are:  $100 guns.

Never had any major failures (twice a round failed to chamber due to limp wristing, fixed by slingshotting the slide back) and they'll take the hottest loads you can find.  Trigger's half-decent, goes bang every time, accurate as any other pistol I've fired, and it's only $100.

Of course, the slide feels like it's made out of some cheap-ass metal, and from what I hear, it is.  Probably shouldn't expect it to live past 5k or 10k rounds.

By far, the worst part about the guns are the magazines.  They're awful.  Hard to load, sharp metal that hurts your hands and you can watch them slowly bend, little by little, over time at the top.  I think, I dunno, maybe it was just my imagination.

From what I recall / hear, they're a pain in the ass to strip/clean.  The safety feels kinda weak, but eh.

Keep in mind, these are all observations of the 9mm.  I haven't tried a .45.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If I wanted a $100 handgun, I would get a Makarov, used Rossi revolver, or a CZ-52.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If I wanted a $100 handgun, I would get a Makarov, used Rossi revolver, or a CZ-52.

+1  Just don't dry fire the CZ-52.  If you do, you will be replacing the firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The only problem with those is ammo is more difficult to find around here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi-point, its cheap gun hard to take a part to clean accuracy sucks once it breaks the only way your going to get it fixed is by hipoint which costs Shipping and handleing each trip. Ive personally have seen one of these guns have a critical failure a guy at the range had one he was slamming it home with the slide catch instead of slingshoting it and it broke the slide no bs he was pissed cause he had 600 rounds of wwb left lol. If you want a .45 get a Springfeild XD or if your a 1911 guy but dont have alot of cash get a Rock Island retails for $350 h
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, I'll give you like five bucks if you show up at an IDPA or USPSA match with that thing, and complete all the stages.

It would be worth it to see the looks on everyone's faces.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Hahaha, I'm going to have to do that one day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want a $100 pistol, buy a makarov or cz52.  They are much better guns.  And you can even tinker with them.  I had my gunsmith weld on an extension to my Makarov frame that gives my hand more protection from the hammer, then shaped it to fit.  

Go to makarov.com and you will find a firing pin that lasts much longer in the cz52.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
While doing the range shooting for my CCW, there was a woman there having a hell of a time with her .45.  Her hands were too small for the club she was holding.  I thought I was helping when I approached her with my Glock 19 and said, "You're more than welcome to finish with mine.  You might want something smaller.  This is a 9mm."  

"So is this."  she said.  Turns out, the rock she was holding was a 9mm Hi Point.  Ha.  Oh yeah, it jammed about 956 times.

For a hundred bucks, get a sling shot and a all the BB's you can buy.  It'll be more reliable, more accurate, more compact, and when you get tired of it, the resale value will be higher.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess its overall a piece of sh!t not even worth my $100 novelty idea.  At least my NAA mini .22LR is 100% reliable.  Thanks for slapping some sense into me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]
A CZ52 or Makarov would be a much better purchase.

Plus, the CZ52 has soft armor defeating potential. Its kind of like a poor mans FN Five Seven.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Not another Hi-Point thread!!

I've read through enough of these threads and I'll save you 40 minutes of your time by summing it up like this:

You get what you pay for.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Just don't be surprised if your $100 pistol doesn't behave like a $300 pistol.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi-Point?

I have shot two (9mm) they both jammed and the trigger pull was comparable to trying to pull a small vehicle with just one finger.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/rud56a.jpg

Well, at least it has a rail, I think.  That might just be an unexplainable protusion.  MJD

When the SHTF, that rail aint gonna save your ass....I had a HI-POINT and it sucked
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Disposable weapon!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
i would say go witht the 9mm comp version the 45 pistol just looks like shit  at least the 9mm comp version has some use it is somewhat accuate and little more sporty, and it looks little better
dont worry about it just buy it

i bought one and still have it,  its a cheap pistol dont exspect a glassy smooth slide and great trigger, but i cant say much bad about mine, def worth it! i once had a cartridge jam and i took it back to the dealer as he challenged me to get a ftf ot FTE  and he sent it back to High Point and they sent the gun back fixed with an exsplanation and also sent two high cap mags  for the wait, cant go wrong

was told if you run it over with your truck they will fix or replace it
im thinking of trying the carbine  to strap to my trunk lid
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Working in gunshop, I respect the fact the not every one can go "high end" on a self defense handgun, but our question to our customers that come in looking for a Hi-Point is "What is your life worth?"  There are other better and more reliable handguns out there (almost anything).

We don't stock, order or even repair the various iterations of the Hi-Point (Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, etc. ad naseum).  

About all of our CHL students who have had their pistols fail during the shooting portion of the test were using that crap and they usually failed during the first five shot string.  

BTW, the current MFG company has been banned from manufacturing its products in CA (they don't meet CA safety standards) and has relocated to Nevada. All of their products have been banned in CA. Of course, one must realize that it is CA's intent to ban ALL firearms, so that doesn't account for much!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
shooting a hipoint will more likely hurt you more than whatever your shooting at. I have been at the range watching people shoot them (from a distance) and seen the slide fall off; they suck ass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been shooting my week-old Hi-Point C9 9mm with no jams, no misfires, and no problems daily sice I got it.  I love the weight, as other pistols don't absorb the recoil like this Hi-Point does.

So far it has been an amazing gun in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy.  However my opinion may be askew as this is my first handgun, purchased with intent to protect my home and have some fun for a very affordable price.

The lifetime warranty is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ditto ditto ditto
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#24]
It'd make a good drop piece.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Man, I'll give you like five bucks if you show up at an IDPA or USPSA match with that thing, and complete all the stages.

It would be worth it to see the looks on everyone's faces.

That would be good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I dont know I have a thing for cheep guns that work... I love the Liberator pitols/zip guns, sten guns, grease guns etc.  I think it is very cool that such devices can be made so inexpensivly.  As for the Hi-Point I dont have any experience with the pistol but I do have the 9mm carbine.  It has worked flawlessly with all the round put through it, and is a good shooter to boot.  I love inexpensive guns and may try the Hi-Point pistol given the chance.    
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Working in gunshop, I respect the fact the not every one can go "high end" on a self defense handgun, but our question to our customers that come in looking for a Hi-Point is "What is your life worth?"  There are other better and more reliable handguns out there (almost anything).

We don't stock, order or even repair the various iterations of the Hi-Point (Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, etc. ad naseum).  

About all of our CHL students who have had their pistols fail during the shooting portion of the test were using that crap and they usually failed during the first five shot string.  

BTW, the current MFG company has been banned from manufacturing its products in CA (they don't meet CA safety standards) and has relocated to Nevada. All of their products have been banned in CA. Of course, one must realize that it is CA's intent to ban ALL firearms, so that doesn't account for much!

Are you referring to Hi-point or the other crap brands like Jennings etc...?

Hi-points are legal in CA, I saw NIB ones for sale at a shop this weekend. If you are talking about those other brands, they are not really "banned", thats just more CA-law ignorance. You can still own them, and sell them to others through dealer transfers/consignment. The law only prohibits importing into the state or producing in-state for sale new pistols. There is a nice craptastic chrome-plated .25ACP Raven with pink pearlite grips for sale at a local shop on consignment for $25.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never once heard anything bad about the carbines; the only reason I haven't picked one up is because they only come with like 10-round mags, and I'm afraid I can't even consider a carbine that won't hold 20 rounds.

Though you said something about a 30-rounder.. something they sell, or what?  I've never seen one, and I'm kind of interested all of a sudden, haha.  They only make 'em for the 9mm or do they have them for the .40, do you know?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto ditto ditto

Will the Makarov come with a lifetime warrenty?  I don't think so.

I don't own any of their handguns but own both of the carbines and love them...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Hi-Point translated is Ghetto Blaster.  It would be cheaper for you to pull a piece of recycled beans out of the toilet and push some 45 shells into it.  You might not want it in your safe though.  I once or twice owned a Makarov and it only got "ammo can for a home" privileges
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Take a deeep breath.......now STEP AWAY from the Hi Point!

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top