Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:17:16 AM EDT
First of all, let me start out by saying that I am NOT a Glock bigot.  I own many handguns; HK, Beretta, Ruger, Glock, Kimber, Sig, Tarrus and even Kel Tec.  I hear a lot of people talking about Glocks blowing up, and Glock having catastrophic failures, but they all seem to be second hand.  I have two Glocks, both of which have functioned perfectly.  I would like to hear from some people who have first hand experience with Glock failures.  Please tell us details on your Glock failure horror stories.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Until recently, Glock has had a reputation for being extremely reliable and durable.  A few anecdotal stories and all the 1911 buffs jump at the chance to flame Glock.  They continue to be durable and dependable, much more so than almost any other make.  In fact, I won't hesitate to buy a used Glock, but am skeptical of other types of firearms.

Of half a dozen quality 1911s I've owned to date, none has made it through a range session without a stumble.  Of the 4 Glocks I've owned to date, I've never had a failure.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Of half a dozen quality 1911s I've owned to date, none has made it through a range session without a stumble.  Of the 4 Glocks I've owned to date, I've never had a failure.

I wonder if what you consider "quality 1911s" is the same as what I consider.

The point of Glocks LIKE the point of 1911s is that you have an excellent pistol design (only Glocks are uglier than fuck and ergonomically inhibitive for MOST shooters). When made properly the pistolS should perform in rock-solid reliable fashion. The problem is that the more popular the weapon, is, the more supply must scramble to meet up with demand. The more supply that is cranked out, the more bad guns are created. If there was a capped supply where PROPER attention was given to all pistols you would never hear of a Glock kaboom OR a 1911 hiccup. Sadly this is not the case. If you want this treatment in the 1911 world you spend over $1,000 for a properly made pistol. Glocks don't have that option. In all fairness however, I believe (from anecdotal evidence) that Glock's POS to properly made weapon ratio is extremely low for the amount of pistols they have churned out. And for those who try to apply 1911s to Glocks, you can't. That would require 14 companies from 3-5 different countries all making their own versions with their corner-cutting policies to keep the bottom line low.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I think alot of the Kabooms are more ammo related than handgun design related.  We have seen pictures of blown up Glocks as well as HK USPs, Revolvers, FALs AR15s and even 1911 along with plenty of hunting rifles.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
A local store has a Parker Hale rifle that looks like it was cut down the middle with a dull knife.
The Glock and 1911 thing can get blown out of proportion. I have two SAs and the G.I. was reliable out of the box and the loaded bi tone 1911 took some work but runs beutiful. I think they are pistols for people with two different mind sets or absolute gun nuts like me that have to have BOTH. I would but a Glock any day. Mine has had one failure when I put in a brand new mag so it has had one failure to feed in 600-700rds and I think it was the mag. My SA loaded 1911 has had a whole lot more than that but is now as reliable as my Glock. A lot of 1911 problems in my opinion come from guys screwing up there pistols and hacking on them and a Glock could do the same thing if you did that. If you like to work with your pistols and tune them up then a 1911 is well worth it because once you get it running good they are hard to beat. I have shot many plastic pistols and like them but none as accurate as my 1911s. I think Glocks are a fantastic utility type pistol though and are hard to beat in that area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The sights are never set right from the factory.  No matter how hard I try to miss the target, I always land bullseyes.  It's very sad that a company such as glock is permitted to produce such pistols.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Every Glock I've shot was a good shooter and never malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think alot of the Kabooms are more ammo related than handgun design related.  We have seen pictures of blown up Glocks as well as HK USPs, Revolvers, FALs AR15s and even 1911 along with plenty of hunting rifles.

I agree. The reason it is brought up so much, is the fact that glock owners go ape shit when someone says something negative about them. Yes. I am a glock  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
No problems here .........
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a stovepipe happen to me once with my G17... I wasn't limp wristing, I just needed to clean the extractor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Zero problems here with two. Gonna get a third.

G21 G19

Iwant a G26, and a G30.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a G-30 that came new from the factory with an issue.     The extractor Loaded Chamber indicator didn't stick out with a loaded round, hinting that the extractor was riding too low.  It threw back shells right in my face.   The dealer agreed the extractor was sunk in too far.   Sent it back, and it came back working fine 2 weeks later.   Probably an assembly error at the factory in the US, not putting in that spring loaded bearing thingy correctly.

Every other Glock I've had ran just fine right out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a G21 that came new with a bad slide release.  I took it back to the gun shop I bought it at and they put a extended slide release on for $15.00.  No big deal and the dealer said he had never seen one made wrong like that. It has never given me a problem with the new part.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
My GLOCK 19 hasn't had a singel malfunction in over 30,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My GLOCK 19 hasn't had a singel malfunction in over 30,000 rounds.

DITTO, Ive put probably 5k rounds through it without a hitch, wouldnt be suprised if I could go another 25
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
3 different glock 19's, 2 different glock 17's, and a glock 34.

Problems?  Sure.  I have no clue how many rounds I have fired, but it is WELL over 15,000.  I have had at least 5 failures in that time....

I think I can remember one stove pipe.

I have had failures to feed when mixing two different ammo types in the same mag (CCI blazer and Remington UMC)

I bought a case of Wolf a long time ago, and had a bunch of light strikes on the primers.  Also got light strikes on a case of Greek "Olympic" 115gr stuff several years ago.  

Shit happens.  No weapon is perfect.  But almost all of these above failures are operator/ammo induced....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
KABOOMS are a product of early 40S&W ammo production that had weak case webs and they blew out OR bad reloads.  There were a few KABOOMS from multiple chamberings of Hydroshocks but that is not the guns fault.  The dude at the 'Gun Zone' in my opinion is pretty much solely responsible for the internet rumors of all Glocks will blow up eventually.  He is pretty much a Ludite in my opinion.

There is a common failure in Glocks though.  The trigger return spring is known to fail in about 50% of pistols after 15,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My GLOCK 19 hasn't had a singelsingle malfunction in over 30,000 rounds.

But you have had at least one malfunction in 6394 posts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top