Quoted:

I have never personally owned a 1911.

I did have a 4506 at one point.

I have never shot well with a 1911.

Discuss...

You like little boys dont you?

I bet there is a USSR flag hidden in your house somewhere

j/k

Personally I am a 9mm fan, but there is something about the .45/1911 combo that really is special and that explains the following. My 1911 is mostly for collecting and range days, but I couldnt imagine not owning it. Would leave a vacum in my collection
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
9mm might be okay if you using +p+... But still... A 9's still a 9...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
"I believe you could get your ass kicked for saying something like that."

That's funny.  

Did you read my post?  The guy who trains all the State Highway patrol in the state of Wisconsin taught me that.  It works wonders turns a shotgun pattern into a group.  Your grip should be vise firm- if someone grabs that gun and attempts to wiggle it it should barely move.  Half an hour with him at a gun show and my group size reduced by 50% from 14 to 7inches.  <with a SA 2-piece barrel- got rid of that, and my Kimber was doing 5inch groups at 25yds offhand which is no great statement but makes the 1911 more dangerous fired than hand thrown at the target.

The .45 has a very massive slug moving at low velocity; the gun attempts to impart a spin to the whole gun and if your hands are not holding it consistently the group suffers horribly.  

Get a Kimber, Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, SVI, or Para Ordinance and attempt to shoot it that way and I can't see you not being happy with the results.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry. Like it, but I like my 10mm Witness and Bren Ten much better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have one either.

the 1911 is cool and I'd like one eventually.

I think I need a Mdl 19 Smith first since I don't have any wheelguns.

I'd like a semi Thompson in .45

Now THAT would be fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you want a cookie?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Youi are staff here and you ain't got a single .45? To make it even worse you are in Texas! Damn boy, the rangers gonna kick yo ass out if you ain't got yo'self a SAA at the very least.
At least pick up a thompson, sure it is heavy but all that weight makes it easy for the recoil shy (read: wusses) to fire!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
the 9mm is a more than adequate round. But that didn't prevent me from getting a new .45. I began to miss my old one and I feel I should have at least one gun in the major calibers
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try a Para-Ordnance Tac Four.  I love the LDA trigger.

+1 A great shooting handgun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the 9mm is a more than adequate round. But that didn't prevent me from getting a new .45. I began to miss my old one and I feel I should have at least one gun in the major calibers

Funny, I've never heard of someone surviving 13 shots of .45 +p...

But 34 shots of 9mm +p+ is fun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most 1911's don't really shoot well.  A lot of them aren't put together properly.  

If you had a Kimber or better yet a Les Baer or equivalent to fire and still had problems grouping inside 5-7inches offhand at 25yds, my advice would be to grip the handgun in your firing hand:

It doesn't take a fancy 1911 to shoot good groups it just takes practice.  Most handguns are far more accurate that their owners.  Most owners just don't practice enough to shoot to their guns potential.

Here's a target I shot at 25 yards.  Just took the gun out, shot ten rounds, and posted the target (this was shot and originally posted last summer).  This is a relatively stock Colt 1991 (ORM).  I'd like to point out it is a two inch gun at 25 yards, but I pulled two shots opening the group to 4".  Proving to me, I need to shoot my 1991 a little more to be more consistent.

ETA: I think I'm seeing 7 of the ten in 1.5 inches.  Remember this is the cheapest 1911 Colt makes.  (I bought this about 8 years ago for $350.)  Money (i.e. a Wilson et. al.) isn't required for accuracy or reliability.

Kent
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
<--------Not a .45 owner either

however i really like the USP tactical i shot a while back
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top