Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
I was just wondering how much surpressors realy help on a 9mm or a .40?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as the round is subsonic, they make it really quiet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
earplugs- no earplugs
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
earplugs- no earplugs

Except indoors.  Earplugs would still be needed indoors.

Echo off the walls, floor, ceiling, etc.  If there are walls around while outdoors the echo can come back to haunt you there too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The good suppressors drop the sound level close to 30dB (on a 9mm), just enough to make it safe to shoot without ear protection - if you're outside.
The bigger the hole, the more high pressure gas is able to escape so a .40 is louder than a 9mm and a .45 louder than a .40.
Brügger & Thomet promises 28/24/19dB attenuation on their Impuls suppressors for 9mm/40/45 respectively.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure about surpressors, but my suppressor helps alot on 9mm.  I can shoot subsonic ammo without ear protection.  It kinda sounds like a loud typewriter.  Subsonic ammo is the key.  If you use surpersonic ammo in your surpressor, it won't be quiet due to the bullet crack.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As long as the round is subsonic, they make it really quiet.

But then don't you have to worry about not cycling if you use subsonic with some supressed pistols?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The bigger the hole, the more high pressure gas is able to escape so a .40 is louder than a 9mm and a .45 louder than a .40.
Brügger & Thomet promises 28/24/19dB attenuation on their Impuls suppressors for 9mm/40/45 respectively.

I read that somewhere too... then some a Class III dealer told me .45 was the best round to suppress because it moves so slow. I was skeptical to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Bookhound,

I was also "arguing" with him about swapping the Evo-9 from a Glock to a Bereetta Cx4. According to the AAC site...

Can I use the Evolution 9 on a rifle or carbine?

Yes. By replacing the driving spring in the Evolution 9 with an accessory called the Fixed Barrel Weapon Spacer, it can be safely used on a fixed barrel firearm.

and

Should I use the Evolution 9 with the Fixed Barrel Weapon Spacer installed on my semiautomatic pistol?

No. Retarding the cycling of a semiautomatic pistol can have detrimental effects on the pistols mechanical efficiency.

He swore up and down that you could swap it between the pistol and the carbine without chaning anything on the can. What say you?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Evo 45 on the way ... .... eventually....  but after ordering it I began to think that utility might be a lot less than I had dreamed into it.  It should be reasonably quiet, wet, but I really think the most useful suppressed weapons are .22lrs' If you get an integral MKII or a good compact muzzle can you can trade it back and forth on a bunch of guns and really have some fun with it.  

It's like- am I going to be able to fire the .45 in my backyard?  Pro bab ly no ot.  So what the hell did I get it for again?  I don't know.  Cool accessory to round out a crazy custom 1911.- good way to burn $900.  

I think the 9mm EVO makes more sense, or if you are a Beretta user you could get one of the AAC snap on 9mm cans with a stainless blast baffle and get adaptors put it on everything from subguns, and nine millimeter carbines to .22 rifles and pistols. I was told it will still do 38-40DB with .22lr ammo. or maybe thats in the manual somewhere.  The mounts might be pretty steep though- maybe M60 Joe could do a slew of mounts [machine them right into barrels] at one time and save you some money.

A Ruger MKII with a 3 inch barrel and that mount, can and a dot sight could still possibly be a pretty handy gun.  2.75inch barrel and 40 grain CCI velocitors will give you 935 or 950FPS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
"He swore up and down that you could swap it between the pistol and the carbine without chaning anything on the can. What say you?"

I don't see any reason why you can't- but you'ld be putting wear on the can that didn't need to put on it as why have a booster reciprocating when the gun doesn't need it?  It's probably quieter without too.  (more volume maybe?)

Thinking about it all I could think is that the booster should actually reduce recoil of a shoulder fired weapon as the can flies forward and that momentum should counter some of the recoil in addition to what is allready being worked by the gas being slowed down.

You could probably damage the can in full auto or with rapidly spaced shots if you catch the spring partially compressed and cycle it again-- I don't know the more I think the less needing the spacer makes sense.

One thing I could do with an EVO is a .45 caliber delisle nockoff -- that would be pretty cool maybe; put the can on a five inch barreled bolt gun or something? Depends on how quiet it is I guess.

I think the 45 is ideal to suppress since youreally have to search for ammo that is supersonic.  Other than that- yeah .22 caliber is ideal.  9mm's can be reasonably quiet but subsonic ammo is a pain in the ass to locate sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top