Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:16 AM EDT
With the recent talk of the military looking for a .45 caliber handgun, would Colt put the All American up for consideration (re-designed for the bigger caliber)?
Don't jump me on history or facts, but wasn't the AA (or whatever it was called) put up against the Beretta the last time the military wanted to change handguns?
Was the AA any good?
Opinions?
Or if I have mis-spoken, please educate me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
...........wonder if colt is still tooled up for that model.....doubt it....think it was a nine cal design from the start...so it is not likely to become a 45 even if it does re-live....but i`m no expert on it.....personally never heardanything bad....but it seems the 9mm...specialy the glock craze...limited the popularity of the aa colt.....they don`t like to hang onto anything that doesn`t turn a satisfying return for the shareholders....that is primary it seems.....yhey had a interesting twist on the 1911 design called double eagle....what happened to it.....what happened to delta elites.....not enough sales...too much mgt change.....so far as colt....who knows.....there is much variety to be had...the only thing i see is the the military mind has not leaned into plastic...yet....it will be interesting...........
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt bought or leased the All American 2000 design from Reed Knight of Knight Armament.

The design was a flat-out failure, with BAD reliability and accuracy problems.

Colt tried to "fix" the design, but couldn't, and after discontinuing the gun, they sent the tooling and jigs back to Knight.

The All American was a notorious failure, and a major reason Colt went bankrupt.
After Colt dumped the remaining stock off to distributors, some of them were selling the All American for as little as $180.00.

You will not see the All American again, certainly NOT from Colt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top