Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a job to pay for this gun or the ammo which you will most undoubtedly go through

like guns will be outlawed tomorrow.  $100 may get 1000 cheap( very cheap) 9mms.

$100 Will however get you about 5500-6000 Remington .22s.   Do the math kid.

get a .22 pistol,  I am sure that you are not going to be carrying to protect you and/or your

family.  There will be plenty of time to play with the more expensive things later.  Don't get into

a rush to be an adult, sometimes it sucks.  Sometimes it sucks really bad.  Get a .22 pistol and

enjoy and learn and practice while it isn't expensive.  

I am not trying to be mean, just practical.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My parents were cool with any rifle I brought home. Not cool with pistols. Forbid me to get one while I loved under their roof.

Moved out to college, and I now own 3.

Some parents are set in their ways with pistols. Often times it's just best to respect their wishes than push the subject or worse, go behind their back and disobey them(granted it'd be a little tougher in this situation due to federal laws prohibiting the sale of pistols or ammo to minors).

As was said, good things come to those who wait.

And I might add, I just picked up a Walther P22. While it's only a cheap little pistol, I haven't been this excited since I got my USP . Looks to be a fun and cheap to shoot pistol.

My parents were the same way. I just aquired one in a trade(XD40 4")  I am of legal age to own and carry although I am not old enough to buy from a FFL. Depending on state see if you can even own one without parental consent or whatever it is called.

Waiting sucks bud. I did it and you can too. I turn 21 in 3 months and you can bet your ass Ill be beating at the local dealer to buy a P22 haha
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
We can't help you in this dept. Maybe you can help yourself by demonstrating your responsibility in school, in life, and in firearms safety (given the opportunity to use a .22 or other firearm). If your parents aren't knowledgable about firearms, then how are you going to use the weapon yourself? You should be going to the range/field with a parent or an adult guardian as it is. If mom or dad don't go to the range and supervise (or an adult sibling/family member) Then I feel you are/should be SOL until you are old enough to do it on your own. My parents were very anti gun, but I was also a reckless youth as a child. It took some growing up and legal independence for my firearms experience to begin. Perhaps that might have to be the case for you as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
"You won't want to hear this , but I'm going to say it anyway
Your 13 years old . No matter how grown up you may feel .
Your not . Kids your age make mistakes in judgment . It's part of
growing up that you won't understand for about 15 more years ."

Well put.

I don't think anyone needs a handgun till they are 18.  

People get more responsible with age and I think people need responsibility with handguns.

My brother was walking around a gunshow with a mini-14 when he was 15 and a cop traded him a Glock 19 for it.   At the time I thought that was really not good.  My brother still has a Glock 19 a lot of years later and he didn't do anything stupid with it so I guess it worked out for him.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone needs a handgun till they are 18.  

People get more responsible with age and I think people need responsibility with handguns.

What he needs is a 10/22.

I have no problem with handguns not being available to folks until they're 18 or 21.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We can't help you in this dept. Maybe you can help yourself by demonstrating your responsibility in school, in life, and in firearms safety (given the opportunity to use a .22 or other firearm). If your parents aren't knowledgable about firearms, then how are you going to use the weapon yourself? You should be going to the range/field with a parent or an adult guardian as it is. If mom or dad don't go to the range and supervise (or an adult sibling/family member) Then I feel you are/should be SOL until you are old enough to do it on your own. My parents were very anti gun, but I was also a reckless youth as a child. It took some growing up and legal independence for my firearms experience to begin. Perhaps that might have to be the case for you as well.

Ditto. Very well said. Except my parents were not anti-gun. Convincing parents by handeling the other responsibilites you already have is the best way. Since I am speaking from a parents point of view. My oldest boy has an SA G.I. 1911 and my other has an XD 9MM Bi Tone that I store for them and they get to shoot when we go to the range. They go no where near them when I am not around and know if they did that they would be gone (no second chances period) They are 13 and 14 and shoot our .22s more than their full sized pistols. Why? Because I buy the ammo. They would not have them in reserve for the future if they had not already shown responsibility in all other areas of life including chores, grades, attitude, and how they treat others.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad bought me and my brother a 10/22 when I ws like 9 y/o.

I didn't get my first handgun till I was 15. It was a Ruger Single Six .22lr and my dad bought it for my birthday. I definitely recommend getting a .22 first. Either a revolver or a semiauto(Ruger MKII. Browning Buckmark); Walther P22s have been known to be unreliable.  22s are great beginner handguns because 22 ammo is much cheaper that 9mm9$8.50 for 550 rds of .22; $11.34 for 100 rounds of 9mm at Wally's World)

Six months after I got the Single Six I put up the money and my dad bought me the 9mm XD bi-tone that I wanted.

Then 6 months after that I got a Ruger MKII for my birthday, for some cheap semi auto practice.

I also put up the money for my own AK(an SAR-1) this January.

I'll be 17 in a couple of months(but dang it I doubt I will be gettting a handgun for my bday this year- oh well 2 years in a row was pretty good anyway). I am very responsible with firearms, get straight As, and am a pretty good kid. Now that my brother is at college I am actually the only person in the house that remembers the combo to the safe.  I hope this shows you guys that a responsible minor is capable of holding the great responsibility that comes with firearms.

If you show a high level af maturity then maybe you can talk your parents into getting you a .22 pistol. Then maybe after you show them you safely handle it you can get the 9mm you want(the XD is an excellent choice)

Be safe and good luck. Glad to see I'm not the only Arfcommer ion the under 18 group!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Im 21 and away at college.....My parents still dont know that i have an AR, Shotgun, CPL, and soon pistol. My parents would probably shit themselves if they knew that i had firearms.....I didnt grow up around guns, but being in a small country town with nothing better to do, my roommate got me into guns..........So if my parents let me get a .22 pistol when i was your age i probably would have been syked!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
win a couple of 22 competitions, and share your intrest in CMP pistol matches and explain to them you need it for competition, and they can put it in the safe.... and so on and soforth
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
This only proves that while they may seem innocent enough, .22s are a gateway gun and will only lead to further and more serious gun ownership.  Take heed, young man.

Seriously though, if your parents aren't into guns, who do you go shooting with?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I had an M1 carbine when I was a kid but I was not even allowed to have a .22 in a hand gun. Be patient. I now have plenty of them. Be glad you have parents that will let you shoot at all in these days of liberal brain washing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top