Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...  I plan on going with some experienced gun owners ( adults who are around 50 years old and experienced) to range.  They are going to let me shoot some of their guns so I can decide which one I want...

One of the best ways to go about it, IMHO.

Best of luck & welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I think people should buy guns for no reason at all, but I don't think chrome wheels are worth somebody's life.

A gun can get you into a lot of trouble very easily without you even thinking what you're doing is wrong.  That's also something to think about when considering the purchase of a gun.  Make sure you know your local laws concerning its use.

/Lecture off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  I plan on going with some experienced gun owners ( adults who are around 50 years old and experienced) to range.  They are going to let me shoot some of their guns so I can decide which one I want...

One of the best ways to go about it, IMHO.

Best of luck & welcome to the board.

Good advice, except sometimes age isn't the best qualifier...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Agreed, whippersnapper.

But he also said "experienced," which was what I keyed in on.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best - HK, Wilson, SIG, Les Baer, STI, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, Colt

Midrange - Ruger, Kel-tec, Springfield, Taurus, Walther

Low end - Glock, Jennings, Lorcin, Hi-Point

Glock "Low end" I think you fell one two many times down those stairs !!!!

Its rated right where it should be, with its similar in quality brothers.

I dont know why you  hate glock pistols so much!

Ignorance, I guess!

I dont hate glock pistols at all.  I just post over-the-top flame bait to get you glock kool-aid drinker's to get your panties in a bunch.  I own several glocks and shoot them all the time.  I am just perfecting my skills as being a glock troll.  You fellas seem to take it to heart the most of any fanboy.

Its the same thing when I go into a tech forum like anandtech and go to the ATI video card section, and post stuff about how much they suck (they really do suck in real life though, totally serious there).

But yeah, when you see me post in a glock thread about how much they suck, just wait for the crybabies to show up.  They always do.

That said -

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/alex1.jpg

I think you had everyone
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, whippersnapper.

But he also said "experienced," which was what I keyed in on.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Holding a Glock is like shaking hands with a fucking 2x4.  Racking the slide feels like driving over train tracks.  The trigger is shit.  HK makes a much, much better polymer pistol in the USP if you're interested in plastic and wanting to keep all ten of your fingers.

How many people have you known that have lost fingers? I know of an incident were 3 yes I said 3 HK USP .45 cals went kaboom on the same day and same range. Our range officer will never stand next to someone shooting an HK USP again.
Back to the original poster. any of the major name brand handguns should be good. Find what fits your hand and then shoot all you can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good advice here, and some arguing. Shoot as many guns as possible, settle on a decent brand , get some good training if you are serious about using the gun for defense. Learn the laws of your state/city.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
How many people have you known that have lost fingers? I know of an incident were 3 yes I said 3 HK USP .45 cals went kaboom on the same day and same range. Our range officer will never stand next to someone shooting an HK USP again.

.45? Bad ammo or B.S.? Those people should go buy a lotto ticket if its true.

P.S. I have a 998 for trackdays.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm new and have never fired a gun before.  

I know it's just opinion, but can you rank the brands for me?  Best to worst.

Or High End, Middle, and Low End.  Thanks.

I'm trying to decide what to get as my very first pistol that will function all-around for home defense, in the car, and concealed carry.

Get an instructor.  He can teach you how to handle a pistol safely.  He can probably bring a decent size selection to the range and let you try several different ones to see which fits your hands.

He will probably want to know just how much you will be shooting.  Will you shoot often enough to gain and maintain proficiency?

If not, a revolver may be in order.

Try before you buy if at all possible.

ETA: I see you are going with some friends who own guns.  That can be good or bad.  Good if they know what they are doing, bad if they don't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance, I guess!

I dont hate glock pistols at all.  I just post over-the-top flame bait to get you glock kool-aid drinker's to get your panties in a bunch.  I own several glocks and shoot them all the time.  I am just perfecting my skills as being a glock troll.  You fellas seem to take it to heart the most of any fanboy.

Its the same thing when I go into a tech forum like anandtech and go to the ATI video card section, and post stuff about how much they suck (they really do suck in real life though, totally serious there).

But yeah, when you see me post in a glock thread about how much they suck, just wait for the crybabies to show up.  They always do.

That said -

Ok, am I missing something here?  This is a new shooter asking a question of us, and is probably going to rely on the info he obtains from us.  This is really no time to be "perfecting my skills as being a glock troll" don't you think adair?

Give the man some info on the question asked, without screwing with everyone else, so that he can make an educated decision.  

Yes there are better quality pistols than a Glock, but not for the price.  I know because I have either shot or owned some of them, and I still carry a Glock.

And, yes this is my opinion, but I have taken the time to research the options and make an educated decision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the reaction from the Glock guys when someone takes a shot at their sacred cows. And yes I have a Glock. My first pistol was a Ruger P95DC. I found it for the right price, and it got me familiar with the ins and outs of carrying and using a handgun. My advise, stay away from any gun that sounds too good to be true, ie. Hi-Point and the like. Buy quality and don't look back. BTW, HK=
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance, I guess!

That said -

Ok, am I missing something here?  This is a new shooter asking a question of us, and is probably going to rely on the info he obtains from us.  This is really no time to be "perfecting my skills as being a glock troll" don't you think adair?

Give the man some info on the question asked, without screwing with everyone else, so that he can make an educated decision.  

Yes there are better quality pistols than a Glock, but not for the price.  I know because I have either shot or owned some of them, and I still carry a Glock.

And, yes this is my opinion, but I have taken the time to research the options and make an educated decision.

As I said before, you will get over it.  Suck it the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
HK
Sig
Glock
Browning
Beretta
Springfield XD
FN
Taurus
CZ

I know nothing about 1911s so I clarified XD. Get a 9mm, .40 or .45. Get what fits you best, I wouldn't mind owning any of the brands I listed, but would rather have the ones at the top
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure would like to shoot at least occasionally or atleast once a month or more.  I would want to go for practice and fun.

I'm assuming it's pretty cheap to go to the gun range after the initial cost of training, trying, buying a gun, and a CHL.

My gun would never explode in my hand right?  I mean there's no way a freak accident would occur and I would get hurt right?  This is assuming I'm handling the gun properly and storing it safely.

IE: gun blows up in my hand and I did everything right, bullets just go off on their own in storage boxes, bullet fires in the wrong direction out of the gun ( i know that would be a stretch).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I sure would like to shoot at least occasionally or atleast once a month or more.  I would want to go for practice and fun.

I'm assuming it's pretty cheap to go to the gun range after the initial cost of training, trying, buying a gun, and a CHL.

My gun would never explode in my hand right?  I mean there's no way a freak accident would occur and I would get hurt right?  This is assuming I'm handling the gun properly and storing it safely.

IE: gun blows up in my hand and I did everything right, bullets just go off on their own in storage boxes, bullet fires in the wrong direction out of the gun ( i know that would be a stretch).

As long as you are handling the gun properly, not shooting hot or improperly handloaded ammo, you will be fine, no matter what you end up going with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[r
.45? Bad ammo or B.S.? Those people should go buy a lotto ticket if its true.

P.S. I have a 998 for trackdays.

These guns belonged to the Brighton City P.D. Mi
ammo was realoads.
Why the B.S.?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Heckler & Koch

SIG

Wilson

Springfield Armory

Colt

everyone else

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock under Ruger and Kel tec?

That is not short sighted is it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to go to a range that rents guns. You may want to consider a revolver for a first gun if you have never shot one before. S&W 357 magnum is a good choice. You can shoot 38's until you become comfortable with it. It doesn't really matter what you decide to start with, after the first one, it's an addiction and you won't be able to own just one. Welcome to a long and happy lifestyle!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I went to carter's country to look around.  They have an outdoor range right behind the shop.  It really feels crazy for a first timer be around all those guns going off.  I get paranoid.  I was thinking what if someone goes crazy and turns around shoots us through the store window?  Haha.

Well I'm going to the range Tuesday with an experienced Adult.  He's going to introduce me to his guns at his house so I can get familiar, and then we'll go to the range afterwards to shoot.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well I went to carter's country to look around.  They have an outdoor range right behind the shop.  It really feels crazy for a first timer be around all those guns going off.  I get paranoid.  I was thinking what if someone goes crazy and turns around shoots us through the store window?  Haha.

Well I'm going to the range Tuesday with an experienced Adult.  He's going to introduce me to his guns at his house so I can get familiar, and then we'll go to the range afterwards to shoot.  Wish me luck.

Sounds like a good plan.  Couple of things to note:
1. please ignore the infighting.  Many people here feel very strongly about their personal choice of firearm.  I will say that the glock kaboom problem is WAY overblown.  Don't worry about it.

2. If you get your gun and people come to take your wheels again, the proper/smart/keep your ass out of prison move is to call the cops again.  

3.  I personally think that you can't go wrong w/ anything from H&K, glock or sig.  Yes the top tier list is longer, but that is the extent of my expertise.

4. buying used is a great idea especially w/ sig.  There's a huge drop in price from the new sig to the slightly used sig.  Perhaps because the sig finish seems to be the most scratchable, but who cares if you aren't going to resell.

Good luck.  Please consider getting some training even if it's just an hour or two.  It made a world of difference w/ me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#23]
More:

1.  I would highly suggest starting w/ 9mm whichever route you take.  The lesser recoil makes it easier to learn and the practice ammo is much cheaper.

2. Think about if you want a manual safety (1911, CZ, H&K, etc).  Also consider if you like a DA/SA (first pull hard, second pull easy like the sig).  Last consider if you want the same trigger pull every time (glock)

good luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a .40 Taurus Millenium Pro and it is one of my CCW and I really like it.

I still like my Glock 19 better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't hesitate to buy a good used gun.  Right now the market is flooded with Certified Pre-Owned Sig's of which I am the proud owner of.  Find someone who has a sig and give it a try.  Honestly you would be hard pressed to do any better than Sig, HK, Glock or the high-end 1911 makers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Llama 1911, it comes with a free baseball bat
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#27]
How much is ammo for 9mm, .40, and .45?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
.9mm = 250rds for $30.00
.40= 250rds for $40.00
.45=250rds for $50.00
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
.9mm = 250rds for $30.00
.40= 250rds for $40.00
.45=250rds for $50.00

You are a Bi-Mart shopper arent you?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Are you kidding me?   Keltec and Taurus are low end, Glock should be midrange. I have never heard anything about a Walther besides a p22 so I would put them as low end.

Smith And Wesson has good revolvers but not many people like their Autos, I wouldnt put them as "best".
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding me?   Keltec and Taurus are low end, Glock should be midrange. I have never heard anything about a Walther besides a p22 so I would put them as low end.

Smith And Wesson has good revolvers but not many people like their Autos, I wouldnt put them as "best".

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top