Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an
However, got to agree that the rest of triburst1's points are valid for the G19.

It is more natural for most people. The only reason some people don't like it is because they have become accustomed to the less natural angle of other pistols.

The angle of the GLOCK is designed to work with the human body. Try this, take a GLOCK and a pistol with a straighter grip angle such as a 1911. Point both pistols, strong hand only, at eye level, in a firing position. Look at the outside of your wirst in a mirror. The pistol with the straighter grip will force you to break your wrist, the GLOCK fits right into the angles of your hand, wrist, and arm.

If you take a new or novice shooter who doesn't have a lot of experience with either design, and have them point fire at a man sized target with both pistols, they will almost always hit better with the GLOCK.

Uhh, i think you have it backward.

Edit, in an effort to head off the next logical reply from triburst: I did try it and you are still wrong.

He does have it backward, its just that the the kool-aid he has been drinking is extra strong.

No Kool-Aid here, I have tried to like more glamorous pistols and failed.

At least you admit that you are a failure

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an
However, got to agree that the rest of triburst1's points are valid for the G19.

It is more natural for most people. The only reason some people don't like it is because they have become accustomed to the less natural angle of other pistols.

The angle of the GLOCK is designed to work with the human body. Try this, take a GLOCK and a pistol with a straighter grip angle such as a 1911. Point both pistols, strong hand only, at eye level, in a firing position. Look at the outside of your wirst in a mirror. The pistol with the straighter grip will force you to break your wrist, the GLOCK fits right into the angles of your hand, wrist, and arm.

If you take a new or novice shooter who doesn't have a lot of experience with either design, and have them point fire at a man sized target with both pistols, they will almost always hit better with the GLOCK.

Edit, in an effort to head off the next logical reply from triburst: I did try it and you are still wrong.

He does have it backward, its just that the the kool-aid he has been drinking is extra strong.

At least you admit that you are a failure

WELL, THE JERK STORE CALLED AND THEY'RE OUT OF YOU!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

The angle of the GLOCK is designed to work with the human body.
Try this, take a GLOCK and a pistol with a straighter grip angle such as a 1911. Point both pistols, strong hand only, at eye level, in a firing position. Look at the outside of your wirst in a mirror. The pistol with the straighter grip will force you to break your wrist, the GLOCK fits right into the angles of your hand, wrist, and arm.

I'm going to reply here to stay out of the spitting contest that is well underway.

I have to differ with you with that. The facts that I cite are that there are links on Glock's own site for 'grip reduction services' which support my contention that there is widespread discontent with the Glock grip design, and the continual reference in many threads about 'limp wristing' a Glock that causes an FTF/FTE. If the Glock had the more natural grip, then why are there these two facts?

Regards,

wganz

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I traded my g19 for a XD40 4". For my larger hands at least the XD is much more natural and is always right on when I raise it quickly. It aims itself. I had it refinished in gunkote and have never had a problem with it. I also invested in a 9mm conversion barrel and it shoots both calibers great. I would do a XD40 4" and you can also get larger caliber conversions. Lots of different calibers all in one.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The facts that I cite are that there are links on Glock's own site for 'grip reduction services' which support my contention ...

Would you mind providing a link to that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]

and the continual reference in many threads about 'limp wristing' a Glock that causes an FTF/FTE

It's funny that you say that. My daughter has a lot of experience with an XD and rarely if ever "limp wristed it". I bought her a G19 for Christmas and she has been limp wristing it and causing failures.

very interesting.....thanks for the tip.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the XD better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

and the continual reference in many threads about 'limp wristing' a Glock that causes an FTF/FTE

It's funny that you say that. My daughter has a lot of experience with an XD and rarely if ever "limp wristed it". I bought her a G19 for Christmas and she has been limp wristing it and causing failures.

very interesting.....thanks for the tip.

Bomber

Yup, Glocks dont handle limp wristing well at all. Mine jam up fast with a limp wrist when I test them. My XD, SIG's, Makarovs, and Beretta's all have no problem feeding when limp wristing them.
Why do I test them this way? Just to see how reliable they are in this situation. Remember when Tom Hanks was shot in Saving Private Ryan and he was shooting the tank with his 1911. He was weak and limp wristing his gun. You never know if you will be in a posistion when you have no choice to but limp wrist a hand gun(mabe you are weak from an injury already) so it is nice to know that your hand gun will fire under this situation. I trust my XD, SIG before my Glock.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The facts that I cite are that there are links on Glock's own site for 'grip reduction services' which support my contention ...

don't see it at the moment. Give me a bit to go back through my history folder to find it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You have to be smoking something if you think Glocks point more naturally than other pistols such as a XD or 1911 I'll take a XD over a Glock anyday...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You have to be smoking something if you think Glocks point more naturally than other pistols such as a XD or 1911 I'll take a XD over a Glock anyday...

Yeah GLOCKs are so unpopular that they must be terribly uncomfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah GLOCKs are so unpopular that they must be terribly uncomfortabel to shoot.

I honestly thought it was. I couldnt hit anything with my glock(just couldnt aim naturally or something of the sort) and when I traded it and got an XD it imporved instantly. Not even imagining or overextending the truth. I shot from same spot at same target and hit 9/10 first mag and the glock was maybe 2/10. But I have big hands
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 19.

Max
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't see it at the moment. Give me a bit to go back through my history folder to find it.

I would really like to see it if you can find it as I've always been told modifying the grip voids the Glock warranty so for Glock to be providing a "grip reduction service" seems highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My first firearm was a G19.  I bought it in the fall of 2004.  I have always liked the grip angle of the XD but I don't like the bulky lines and gaps in the back of the slide and the grip, just my opinion.  I did recently shoot a 5" Tactical XD (the biggest 9mm) and the recoil was brutal for a 9mm (more like a .40).  I switched back over to the G19 using the same ammo and it was easy and fun again.  I have no problem shooting larger calibers but I know what to expect from a 9mm.  I have no interest in their product anymore, my Glock has never been anythingly less than unexcitingly reliable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My first firearm was a G19.  I bought it in the fall of 2004.  I have always liked the grip angle of the XD but I don't like the bulky lines and gaps in the back of the slide and the grip, just my opinion.  I did recently shoot a 5" Tactical XD (the biggest 9mm) and the recoil was brutal for a 9mm (more like a .40).  I switched back over to the G19 using the same ammo and it was easy and fun again.  I have no problem shooting larger calibers but I know what to expect from a 9mm.  I have no interest in their product anymore, my Glock has never been anythingly less than unexcitingly reliable.

The XDs have a high bore axis aand thus more recoil and muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The XDs have a high bore axis aand thus more recoil and muzzle flip.

I think both of my XD's have lower recoil than the Glocks in the same respective calibers, 9mm and 45GAP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Glocks are toucky about 'limp wristing' in part, I think, because they were designed to run on the hotter NATO ammo, not soft American range stuff...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Anything feels natural if you stick with it long enough, so pick one and stick with it! I chose glock 21 and got rid of my HKusp45, Sig220, SA1911a1, glock17, Rugerp89. When I did this my shooting improved DRASTICLY !
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

You're exactly right about the glock grip angle. Anyone that has actually looked at the muscles in their hand and wrist while gripping a pistol understands why the glock is a natural pointer.

At some point when Glock started dominating people started conjuring up reasons to not like it so they could defend their favorite weapons.

Xray proof and a terrorists dream
No safeties
Polymer melts
Prone to AD
No 2nd strike (who the hell would take a chance on a dead round if someone wants to kill them? )
Grip angle is too steep
Prone to KB
Limp wristing (I've held my glock like the biggest rainbow coalition, fruit, and it shot fine)

There is no truth to the glock grip angle BS. Just people clinging to something to defend their own beloved pistol design in the face of Glock which does everything it needs to very well.

Glock fits the human hand very well from an anatomical and practical position

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the same positon right now too. I'm looking to add another plastic fantastic to my collection. I already have a G17 and shoot it very well. I have full faith in its reliability. I'm looking for a smaller 9mm though to carry around with me. I'm considering the G19, XD9, and the PX4 9mm. The PX4 has just been added to the Cal DOJ list of drop test pistols so they are starting to turn up in the stores. I have shot the G19 and XD9 so far and like both. The XD has a better grip and trigger no doubt, but I find it flips a little too much compared to the G19. The rental XD9 also had trouble a few times feeding the first round from a mag when I slingshotted the slide. My G17 and the rental G19 never had problems with that. I'll wait until I can shoot a few boxes out of a PX4 as I really like its grip and trigger.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a recent Glock convert.  I have both an XD and G17, with what I know now, I would buy the Glock only.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in the samw dilema about 2 years ago.  I thought I wanted to buy the XD9 until  I rented one and shot it.  For me the grip angle was very uncomfortable and that in it's self was enough not to get one.  I ended up buying the 19 and couldn't be happier.  As others have said it is the best all around handgun made.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Go XD
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I wil tell you, I just sold my Glock 23 and got the XD40.  Reason is the XD fits my hand much better and has a better trigger in my opinion.  I like the way it shoots as well.  The thing I do like about Glocks thuogh is they have a tougher finish by far.  Also here is something interesting to read about Glocks I was sent recently.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I've owned XDs, owned Glocks, sold both, but in the end came back to Glock.
I've purchased two Glock 19s go be my main carry weapon. As Clint Smith said to get one for your main carry, then buy a second one, that is what I did. The G19 fits my hand the best, and I think the grip safety on the XD is silly.

Plus, the G19 weighs only 19 ounces, to about 25 ounces for the XD. The 19 is by far the lightest carry gun I've found for the size.

The other thing I can say is, every size and every caliber of Glock I've fired was very accurate. Same trigger pull, same aim. I've also owned the HK USP. While the full size was extremely accurate (just too bulky to conceal), the compact size was not. All of the Glocks I've tried have shot where they were pointed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the Glock becuase you can get 33 round mags for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Glock 19.

Max
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the trigger sysmtem in this debate.  I have been looking at both of these handguns for purchase and shot both yesterday.  I liked the feel of the XD in mu hand, it felt more natural and found target acquisition faster.  However, I can not get over the amount of play in the XD trigger it seems as though you must pull the trigger twice as far as the Glock.

Does anyone know of an easy fix for that play in the trigger of the XD?  If there is I would probably go with the XD otherwise I believe I will end up purchasing the Glock.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the trigger sysmtem in this debate.  I have been looking at both of these handguns for purchase and shot both yesterday.  I liked the feel of the XD in mu hand, it felt more natural and found target acquisition faster.  However, I can not get over the amount of play in the XD trigger it seems as though you must pull the trigger twice as far as the Glock.

Does anyone know of an easy fix for that play in the trigger of the XD?  If there is I would probably go with the XD otherwise I believe I will end up purchasing the Glock.  

Send it to Canyon Creek and the takeup will be as short as on a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not going to add anything other than the fact that the Glock's trigger guard is incorrectly shaped, and the backstrap hump makes the larger guns devilishly uncomfortable to shoot.  

I will say this about the Glock 30 I once owned:  at least it let me choose whether I wanted the blister on my trigger finger or on my thumb knuckle.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top